You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-21 20:38:25

MillTek

Forums for fluxbox??

Hi,
I use fluxbox and was using the resources on fluxmod.dk for a while. It seemed like a good, popular site but it  seemes to have vanished.  Did it move to another site and/or can anyone recommend a good fluxmod-specific site????

Jim

#2 2005-02-21 21:00:53

Gullible Jones

Re: Forums for fluxbox??

It moved to www.ikaro.dk. That site isn't accessible right now though, I'm guessing some sort of maintainance is underway - perhaps they're migrating to another server?

#3 2005-02-21 21:04:52

skoal
Website

Funny you should mention that.  I couldn't get to either of those 2 sites recently.

What kind of mods are you looking for?  I had everything from translucency to borderless windows with their 0.9x branch.  I think I just hit their development doc section and went from one creative user link to the next to find what I was looking for, and already done by someone else.

#4 2005-02-21 22:06:55

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ikaro is alot more into FVWm now than fluxbox... so you rarely get anything nice from him anymore

#5 2005-02-21 23:09:08

beniro

Maybe ask around on freenode.net's #fluxbox channel???

#6 2005-02-22 09:42:53

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

actually, ikaro was actually into console based apps last i heard as he was having so many probs with hard crashes, tho, as much as i respect the dude, his preferences do seem to change with the weather!

people found the console bit hilarious cos he just forked out for a 64bit system...

#7 2005-02-22 09:48:01

iphitus
Forum Fellow

yeah, fluxbox has been causing ikaro to have hard crashes....

so he's either fvwm'in it or consol'in it.

which is cool, cause console rocks!

vim, mpc, mutt, links (with fb graphics), irssi, pebrot, snownews, bash tongue

what more could you need?

heck you can even set a wallpaper or setup screen to have a menubar:
http://aslan.no-ip.com/~iphitus/screenshots/screen.png

#8 2005-02-22 10:01:04

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

iphitus - i told you before, stop spreading false rumours, ikaro was having hard crashes with fluxbox but he is also having hard crashes with everything else as well, including fvwm and i think he may even have had them in console too.

that makes me sound like a total sycophant but i don't like to see falsehood proliferated

#9 2005-02-22 10:50:21

falmarian

how did you actually set it up so you had a wallpaper and a menubar, iphitus?
I've been trying to fgure out how to do that for months.  Also, ho come even when my framebuffer works properly, I don't have the appropriate device?  /dev/fb0 consistently fails to exist.  It's getting to be somewhat infuriating.

Those who would surrender a little freedom for the false sense of security deserve neither freedom nor security.
- Benjamin Franklin

Therefore

Give me Liberty, or give me death.

- Patrick Henry
falmarian-at-falmarian-dot-us

#10 2005-02-22 14:52:05

MillTek

Thanks for all the replies guys.  Not really looking for any specific mods as such. Mainly trying to learn fluxbox and what can be done with it.  I just got tired of all the bloat associated with wm's like KDE. 

I got tired of upgrading hardware to keep speed and responsiveness on my box. Fluxbox does a pretty good job so far.  Besides, I have found that fluxbox is so clean that I am learning more about how Linux works and how it interacts with the window manager.  Environments like KDE complicate matters too much.  (Not trying to start a WM flame war - just my personal preferences!!)

Thanks again,

Jim

#11 2005-02-22 16:04:39

MillTek

Hey, out of curiosity, is FVWM better supported/developed than fluxbox?

Just curious, as it seems very flexible.

Jim

#12 2005-02-22 18:08:26

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

iphitus - i told you before, stop spreading false rumours, ikaro was having hard crashes with fluxbox but he is also having hard crashes with everything else as well, including fvwm and i think he may even have had them in console too.

ah, the glories of gentoo...

#13 2005-02-22 18:09:04

Gullible Jones

Dunno. It should be better compatible with desktop environments though, for the simple reason that it uses a left-click instead of a right-click to bring up the menu...

#14 2005-02-22 18:48:02

skoal
Website

MillTek wrote:

Thanks for all the replies guys.  Not really looking for any specific mods as such. Mainly trying to learn fluxbox and what can be done with it.  [...]

Well, I first recommend using the 0.9x development branch.  I think it's called "fluxbox-devel" in our repo's.  When I started using it, I first went to their "development" documentation.  There, I was able to figure out "rounded" corners, turning off window decorations, writing themes, etc.  I would mainly just follow the links to people's screenshots, then download their theme.

This best tool for learning, in my case, was looking at the "init" and theme files.  You can really customize your own desktop by stealing bits and pieces from other themes, until you get the hang of it.  Real easy...

I really don't know of any better sites than ikaro's(?) which I couldn't connect to.

#15 2005-02-23 02:27:26

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

phrak - i was thinking something along those lines myself - it occured to me that one down point of being able to completely customize your system is thte fact that if it goes tits up you are probably the only person who has that same system - therefore finding out where your problem could be a nightmare!  how could they know? this is not a gentoo flame - just a thought...

fvwm def isn't better support as it is not still under developement as i understand it - which is a shame cos i think it has the capacity to support the composite extention better than any other wm because you can set specfic window styles for specific apps

and gullible, as far as the left click in fvwm?  you can change that to anything you like, granted you can't in many other wm's...

Board footer