You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-19 07:37:14

rhune

Mounting SD card at boot

So I just bought this SD card to put in my netbook and have it mount as /var. Formatted it as ext2 and it works fine when I mount it normally (mount /dev/sdd1 /var), but when I try to mount it at boot, i get a bad superblock error and drops me into the recovery console.

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem.

Tried running fsck on it to no avail, comes up clean.

my /etc/fstab:

/dev/sdd1 /var ext2 defaults,noatime 0 1

Tried using it with auto and rw, and using the UUID boot options also. Been searching around the web for 2 days now, came up with nothing.

Any ideas?

Last edited by rhune (2010-01-19 07:37:42)

#2 2010-01-19 19:00:38

perbh

Re: Mounting SD card at boot

Try to mount it in /etc/rc.local - it's probably a bit like usb - not ready by the time the automounts are done ...
- or - use the 'rootdelay' option on the kernel invocation line in menu.lst

Last edited by perbh (2010-01-19 19:01:08)

#3 2010-01-20 08:57:51

rhune

Mounting it in /etc/rc.local works, but the rootdelay option doesnt. Im assuming its because its waiting for the actual root drive, not the sd card.

The thing is..im getting some error msgs for the log files not being found, though its probably not crucial it is rather annoying heh. Works for now i suppose. Thanks! I've been using linux for years and have never touched the rc.local file..

#4 2010-01-20 13:19:11

perbh

/etc/rc.local is my favourite place for a lot of things ...
In particular - there are some associations where I prefer a 'mount --bind' rather than a symbolic link - all that goes into /etc/rc.local 'cuz I can check if the parent directory is mounted, I can check if a block-device is actually present etc etc.
Also, some modules - not required for booting - goes in there because I can check if the device it serves is actually present

In your case - yup, using /var on a SD/usb _will_ cause log-file problems - which in turn can be awkward if you need to do any troubleshooting. Also - even if its not mounted, the mountpoint is still there and it will be written to it before you mount it ... it's a catch-22!
If you umount your /var and check content of /var - you will still find partial logfiles there - ie I seriously doubt the the wisdom of using /var on a medium that is mounted late in the boot-process.

Just my 2c-worth ...

#5 2010-01-20 21:23:54

rhune

perbh wrote:

/etc/rc.local is my favourite place for a lot of things ...
In particular - there are some associations where I prefer a 'mount --bind' rather than a symbolic link - all that goes into /etc/rc.local 'cuz I can check if the parent directory is mounted, I can check if a block-device is actually present etc etc.
Also, some modules - not required for booting - goes in there because I can check if the device it serves is actually present

In your case - yup, using /var on a SD/usb _will_ cause log-file problems - which in turn can be awkward if you need to do any troubleshooting. Also - even if its not mounted, the mountpoint is still there and it will be written to it before you mount it ... it's a catch-22!
If you umount your /var and check content of /var - you will still find partial logfiles there - ie I seriously doubt the the wisdom of using /var on a medium that is mounted late in the boot-process.

Just my 2c-worth ...

Ya..i just realized it did leave files heh. Ive been looking into mount --bind, but it seems it writes to both locations simultaneously? Or am I just misreading that?

I would really prefer just to put abs/ log/ and tmp/ on the sd card along with other random things. If mount --bind just writes to the sd card that would be great, im just trying to save some writes on my ssd here for the most part.

and im going to start using rc.local a whooole lot more now haha

Last edited by rhune (2010-01-20 21:25:19)

#6 2010-01-21 01:05:01

perbh

hey - 'mount --bind' is just another way of saying 'ln -s' (more or less) - _I_ just happen to prefer it (at times) ... I did not for one second suggest that you should use it in _your_ case

Board footer