You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-05 04:51:59

headmastersquall

Video distortion after logging in

Hello,

After updating a few days ago, I experience visual distortion when I log into Xfce, and KDE4.  The background in KDE4 looks normal, but all the panels and meues are all a bunch of lines.  In Xfce, the entire display is lines and both environments are unusable.  I have searched the forums and I have noticed other people having similar problems, but their solutions didn't work for me.  Before this last system upgrade (which upgraded xorg, ati-dri, xf86-video-ati and mesa) my system was running the best it has ever ran with Archlinux and I have been running this distro since 2007 (I'm very happy with it by the way) and now my system is mostly unusable. 

Here is my system info:

I am running an old IBM Thinkpad with an ATI graphics card.
kernel26-lts 2.6.27.38-1 *
xf86-video-ati 6.12.99
ati-dri 7.6-2
xorg 11R7.0-1
mesa 7.6-2

* I get the same results using kernel26 26.31.5-1

$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed to open the DRM

I have tried running xorg with no xorg.conf file and have tried the one generated using X -configure.  So far, everything I have tried has had the same distorted results.  Please help.

Thank you
HeadmasterSquall

#2 2009-11-06 01:00:03

BullGates

Re: Video distortion after logging in

Same problem here... if I use vesa driver seems ok, when I revert to radeon the screen get all garbled. Seems like a bug on xf86-video-ati 6.12.99.

#3 2009-11-06 01:23:58

BullGates

Passing the option nomodeset to the kernel solves the problem.

#4 2009-11-06 04:44:55

valnour
Website

BullGates wrote:

Passing the option nomodeset to the kernel solves the problem.

Yep, that did it for me on my Thinkpad T41. This problem seems to be all over the forums recently.

#5 2009-11-07 02:13:03

headmastersquall

Tried setting the nomodeset in my lilo append line and also tried typing it manually on lilo boot prompt and I am still having the same problems.  I think the problem is related to the error in my log from the initial post.  I also get the same message many times in my /var/log/kdm.log.

I get another message sometimes in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log that may be related:

(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory.

If I am running twm, everything appears fine with no distortion.

#6 2009-11-07 07:13:07

MadTux

headmastersquall wrote:

Tried setting the nomodeset in my lilo append line and also tried typing it manually on lilo boot prompt and I am still having the same problems.  I think the problem is related to the error in my log from the initial post.  I also get the same message many times in my /var/log/kdm.log.

I don't think that nomodeset is the solution to your problem, since nomodeset turns off kernel mode setting. But kernel mode setting has been introduced with kernel 2.6.31 and you use 2.6.27.

Last edited by MadTux (2009-11-07 07:13:43)

#7 2009-11-07 14:59:09

xanderek

headmastersquall wrote:

HI,

First:
please check if bellow modules
drm, radeon
are loaded

lsmod|grep drm
lsmod|grep radeon

they both are responsible for DRM device on ATI Radeon cards. maybe the are not loaded automatic, you can add them to modules inside /etc/rc.conf

SECOND:
new kernel 2.6.31 introduce KMS for radeon cards but  for now, only Radeons up to R5xx (X1xxx) support KMS. Support for later Radeon cards will be added in Linux kernel 2.6.32.

So check if  dmesg reports errors about radeon/drm/kms initialisation. On my laptop after upgrade to 2,6,31 I've received the same error as you mentioned in first  post.
Basing on http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rad … leshooting
you should disable KMS if is not supported on you're card. for me it helped and DRM devices are again created correct

how to do that:
it's exactly what collogues before have wrote: "nomodeset", but better use radeon.modeset=0 in kernel line
or options radeon modeset=0 inside /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf

BR Xanderek

#8 2009-11-08 22:08:24

headmastersquall

I have confirmed that both the radeon and drm modules are loaded and I have tried both the nomodeset and radeon.modeset=0 with no results.  I am using lilo and have tried both parameters in the append= line, and I am running lilo after each edit to the lilo.conf file.  I tried to provide the option in a radeon.conf file in modprob.d as you said and it just gave an error saying it didn't understand the option.

I updated xorg-server today and I can at least get to a desktop if the nomodeset parameter is passed and I use the 2.6.31 kernel.  The problem remains with the 2.6.27-lts kernel and by using all other options.  The desktop looks fine at first although performance is sluggish when moving windows.  If I open a console some of the text will disappear after a few seconds.  When using the system after a short time, the entire system locks up and I have to kill the computer with a big hammer, I mean a hard power down.

I appreciate every one's help and I hope we can figure out this silly problem.

Question on the side:  Are these problems everyone is having due to a pre-release or beta of the Xorg-server, or is it related to the latest radeon update and/or KMS?  I ask this because I don't think my problem is a KMS issue since I have been using the 2.6.27-lts kernel.

Thanks

#9 2009-11-14 16:32:46

xanderek

in short way: new mesa needs kernel 2.6.32 (currently we have rc6).

I've registered my another radeon issue (I think connected to this one as well) to freedesktop bugzilla to dri developers
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25008

basing on their answer newest MESA/DRI/xorg needs newest kernel -- but really to the most newest 2.6.32-rc6.
As you describe you've made update few days ago (mesa package) without kernel upgrade

please check everything with kernel 2.6.32-rc6.   

BR Tomek

#10 2009-12-15 06:25:40

toad
Website

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I searched for T41 and this hits it down to a tee...

Similarly to headmasterquill I verified that:

- drm and radeon modules are running
- radeon.modeset=0 is appended to the kernel line in menu.lst (I didn't have KMS anyway, but hey)

Of yesterday I switched to testing and installed the 2.6.32 kernel.

And it still happens. Mind, the weird characters have gone, but now window decorations in KDE are wild lines, yakuake and the lancelot starter window is one jungle of a lines and KDE is not usable. All other X stuff is fine (gnome, openbox, etc). Thing is, I use KDE programmes and they don't display in those environments either smile

EDIT

Actually, most KDE programmes seem alright in gnome. Only yakuake appears to f*** up still.

Last edited by toad (2009-12-15 16:51:35)

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#11 2009-12-15 16:35:02

headmastersquall

Does anyone think that kdm or KDE's window manager might have anything to do with these problems?  According to toad, the problem goes away when you don't use KDE programs.  I have found a work around for this issue and have at least been able to get to a usable desktop with my 2.6.27-lts kernel and that is by bypassing kdm and using xfce.  I set my run level in /etc/inittab to 3 and use startx to get to my desktop.  I have been able to get into xfce with no issues, I have not yet tried KDE this way yet, I was just happy to have a usable system again.

I don't believe this is a "dead" thread, since the issue is still active and has not yet been resolved.  I am still open to suggestions and hope this issue has a solution.

Thanks

#12 2009-12-15 16:45:59

toad
Website

Okay, booted up normally, stopped kdm, edited .xinitrc, started x and same result.

So I went into runlevel 3 and started x but once again no joy.

And this is with nomodeset et al. Sidux has been running a treat and I don't know why! Unfortunately I am out of my depth here, but I'd love to know what they do differently (apart from having a zillion debian developers behind them somewhere along the line).

never trust a toad...

#13 2009-12-15 16:58:17

headmastersquall

I agree toad, I think a bug this serious should have been caught and taken care of before releasing it to the public.

Are you trying to use KDE with startx?

#14 2009-12-15 17:09:12

toad
Website

Well, you can only catch a bug if you a) have the right hardware and b) run the right software on it. Kind of an impossible task...

Anyway, yes, I do a startx.

BTW, after some more experimenting I realised that only yakuake doesn't work on gnome, the rest displays fine.

never trust a toad...

#15 2009-12-15 17:16:59

headmastersquall

I am a software developer, so I know it takes a lot to test for everything and catch all the bugs.  However, this issue has been active with no solution for a long time.  I just hope they can fix it soon, I really enjoy Arch Linux.

I want to make sure I understand that you are only having problems with KDE apps?  If KDE is the issue, I may switch to gnome, or just go strait xfce.  I have been thinking of doing that anyways because my computer is old and has had a hard time running KDE 4, since it only has 256MB of ram.

#16 2009-12-15 17:37:42

toad
Website

256MB on kde4??? Wow! You got to switch on the computer before you go to bed smile Seriously, try lxde - if you like kde you will love it!

never trust a toad...

#17 2009-12-15 17:47:52

headmastersquall

That's on my list of toys to play with smile.  I was concerned with this video issue and have been hesitant to try anything new at this time.  I am also low on disk space (mostly due to KDE) so I add as few packages as I can.  I know lxde is small, and do plan on trying it soon.

#18 2010-01-21 05:07:19

headmastersquall

I just wanted to let everyone know that this issue has resolved itself with the release of kernel 2.6.32 and updates to the ati-dri and related packages.  This was fixed about a month ago, sorry for delay on my update and thank you for everyones help.

Board footer