You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-21 19:12:28

Wakarimasen

After install, did I install it right?

I followed the guide represented at the wiki and I am pretty sure I did everything correct.

Then when I loaded Arch after install I get to the login and it says:

Penguin(my computers name) login:

So because I had no user yet( I think so because Penguin did not work) I loged in as root and typed my pass.

After I typed my password it said "Last login: XXXXXXXX on tty1"
But I am still at the black screen with the text.

Is this how Arch is and I am suppose to install "stuff" to get beyond the black screen? Or did I do something wrong?

I would normally ask my friend about this, but right when I was done he just AFK'd (for like 2 hours now and counting) at me and I have no idea what to do.

Thanks in advance!

#2 2010-01-21 19:15:26

lifeafter2am

Re: After install, did I install it right?

When you install Arch, you get a lean mean Linux system.  This means no GUI by default, only command-line.  Follow the rest of the wiki guide to get your gui up and running.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … igure_ALSA

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#3 2010-01-21 19:18:20

rebugger

#4 2010-01-21 19:40:07

Wakarimasen

Thank you for the links, I had them but I could not find out where to start at them because my head is hurting after all the reading.

But when I got to the Pacman python part I got errors, some of them downloaded, but not all. And the guide tells me to change the mirrorlist, but still the same happens.

Is it suppose to download all of them? Because some of them (not all) got errors. I am talking about the "pacman -Sy Python" command

#5 2010-01-21 19:47:10

lifeafter2am

Wakarimasen wrote:

Thank you for the links, I had them but I could not find out where to start at them because my head is hurting after all the reading.

But when I got to the Pacman python part I got errors, some of them downloaded, but not all. And the guide tells me to change the mirrorlist, but still the same happens.

Is it suppose to download all of them? Because some of them (not all) got errors. I am talking about the "pacman -Sy Python" command

Just edit the /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist file by hand and uncomment the mirrors you want to use.  That has nothing to do with getting X up and running anyway.

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#6 2010-01-21 20:32:02

ZaQ

"pacman -Sy Python"

its python, not Python. And you should not use the 'y', when you install something.

#7 2010-01-21 21:00:35

Wakarimasen

ZaQ wrote:

"pacman -Sy Python"

its python, not Python. And you should not use the 'y', when you install something.

I am fully aware of that, I just wrote it wrong now because I had nothing to look at when I wrote in the forum.

I am at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide#Part_III:_Install_X_and_configure_ALSA atm, but when I am at the save settings spot I have no idea what it tries to tell me to do. I tried writing "nano  /usr/sbin/alsactl" and write "/etc/asound.state" but quickly thought it was wrong and changed it, now the file was blank. The next time I opened /usr/sbin/alsactl it was spammed down by "encrypted" letters and some errors and when I try to remove it I can go on forever with backspace. What  to do?

What did I do wrong?

#8 2010-01-21 21:06:29

Primoz

Only thing that you have to do with alsa is

$ alsamixer (and unmute channels that you'll use..)
then:
$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav (to test your settings)
and then:
$ exit
# alsactl store

Last edited by Primoz (2010-01-21 21:06:49)

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#9 2010-01-21 21:28:43

Krause

Hi,

To create a user account, run the "adduser" command as root.

#10 2010-01-21 22:38:35

Wakarimasen

Edit: Nvm, I had to install the programs. Wierd that they are listed when they are not installed T_T

Last edited by Wakarimasen (2010-01-21 22:50:13)

#11 2010-01-21 22:52:42

perbh

Hmmm - I would graciously suggest that maybe 'arch' is not for you ... have you ever tried ubuntu and/or linuxmint ?
Their learning threshold is somewhat lower ...

#12 2010-01-21 22:57:59

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

ZaQ wrote:

"pacman -Sy Python"

its python, not Python. And you should '''not''' use the 'y', when you install something.

QFT, and boldness mine.

#13 2010-01-21 23:21:59

MooseKnuckles

ZaQ wrote:

"pacman -Sy Python"

Agreed.  I ran into an issue as well at the "python for rankmirrors" section of the wiki.  Couldn't log in or anything.  I had to mount the fs from live cd and do a Pacman -Syu and reboot before being able to logon again. 

Lesson I learned:  never pacman -Sy anything
Before you install or update anything(especially python for rankmirrors during install) do a full system upgrade first, then reboot if kernal upgrades...

Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong please....

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

#14 2010-01-21 23:25:31

Wakarimasen

perbh wrote:

Hmmm - I would graciously suggest that maybe 'arch' is not for you ... have you ever tried ubuntu and/or linuxmint ?

I have been using Linux Mint for a while, and I do think Arch is for me. Because I run into some small "errors" on my way in the install doesn't mean that I am not suited for Arch. You Learn by your mistakes I normally say.

I have Arch set up now and it is working great, just need some minor adjustments so don't come with your "Arch is maybe not for you, try Ubuntu" because getting to know Linux Mint or Ubuntu won't help you much when it comes to Arch Linux because it is WAAAAAY different from distros like Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

Why start to learn something entirely different like Linux Mint when you can learn the distro you want to use straight away anyway? I don't see the logic.

Last edited by Wakarimasen (2010-01-21 23:26:29)

#15 2010-01-21 23:50:48

tomk
Forum Fellow

Wakarimasen wrote:

Wakarimasen - the line above suggests that you found the Arch install process too difficult, and perbh was simply offering you an alternative. I had a similar reaction when I read that post.

Congratulations on completing your install, and welcome to Arch.

#16 2010-01-22 01:24:17

ataraxia

perbh wrote:

Nah, I just think the OP's forum name is possibly more appropriate than we might want. Maybe it'll have to be changed later on? lol

#17 2010-01-22 07:10:57

tomk
Forum Fellow

Multi-lingual humour... nice, ataraxia.

However, let's stay on topic please.

#18 2010-01-22 11:55:21

ZaQ

Misfit138 wrote:
ZaQ wrote:

"pacman -Sy Python"

its python, not Python. And you should '''not''' use the 'y', when you install something.

QFT, and boldness mine.

lol

I am coming from Ubuntu. So I know that there are problems like that cool

#19 2010-02-23 23:46:43

trusktr
Banned
Website

Arch Linux is the best way to go. If you have dificulties installing it, GOOD.  Don't let suggestions like Perbh's impede you. smile

You will learn alot about what you are doing to your computer and how linux works with Arch Linux (vs. just having everything pre-installed like Mint, Ubuntu, fedora, or OpenSUSE; the easy ways out).

I just installed and began using linux for the FIRST TIME EVER using Arch Linux; last weekend. smile

My best advice is to follow the beginner's guide word for word like I did, then after that, see all the ArchWiki pages for:
Nvidia, HAL, Network Configuration, NetworkManager, Wireless Setup, etc.

The beginner's guide fails to mention many important details. So when you finish installing something from the beginner's guide, make sure to search for it in the ArchWiki to get information on all the settings and configurations you need to setup.

Some settings are as simple as the order you have something listed in your settings/configurations files.  It is possible your entire system won't work unless you switch the order of just two words. wink

We are Archers now! smile

joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.

#20 2010-02-24 04:11:53

stefanwilkens

Wakarimasen wrote:

Edit: Nvm, I had to install the programs. Wierd that they are listed when they are not installed T_T

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide#Part_III:_Install_X_and_configure_ALSA

install the alsa-utils package:
# pacman -S alsa-utils

as a fellow convertee: beginning on arch is ALL about reading the wiki, the manpages, the wiki, the forums, the wiki... did I mention the wiki?

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

Board footer