You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-25 14:59:49

JoeKer1086

2nd try and installation still fails at filesystem check PLEASE HELP

This is my second install of Arch.....and it failed again. It said it could not locate the super block for /root. I used the by-label naming scheme and had a /boot, swap, /root and /home directory. /root and /home were both ext4, /boot was ext2. For some reason when checking file systems it could not locate the superblock on /dev/disk/by-label/root. When i tried to use the by-label to replace the superblock it could not be found so i had to use /dev/sda3 (which was /root) I tired several different superblocks (located with systemrescuecd-testdisk) with no success. obviously i am doing something wrong and i would really like to fix it....when i try to access /etc/fstab it says permission denied....i was going to try and rename them by uuid but if i cant get in here i dont know how i would. i already got the uuid for each partition its just a matter of assigning it in fstab now i think.......i really dont wanna give up on arch so please help me out.

I understand it completely, grappled hopelessly with comprehension, balanced on the edge of insanity for an eternity.....a moment.

#2 2009-11-25 19:18:13

deej

Re: 2nd try and installation still fails at filesystem check PLEASE HELP

Whilst we wait for The A-Team to come to your aid, I'll have to do lol

Firstly: are you installing on an empty drive - i.e. are you dual-booting ?
Secondly, did you format the partitions when you created them ?
Thirdly, are you using a desktop PC or a sloppy-top ?

[EDIT]

Are you using a 'net install - i.e. downloading initial system off the 'net ?
Deej

Last edited by deej (2009-11-25 19:19:33)

#3 2009-11-25 20:11:14

klixon

Sounds to me like udev isn't run from early userspace... Here's what you can try
- boot into a livecd with ext4 support (or if you can dual-boot into another linux installation with ext4 support, just type this in a terminal)
then try this:

mkdir /mnt/arch
mount /dev/<root-device> /mnt/arch
mount /dev/<boot-device> /mnt/arch/boot
mount --bind /proc /mnt/arch/proc
mount --bind /dev /mnt/arch/dev
mount --bind /sys /mnt/arch/sys
chroot /mnt/arch
# if you still encounter problems after checking the next 3 files, consider posting them here
vim /etc/fstab # and check everythin in there.
vim /etc/mkinitcpio.conf # Check the hooks array (autodetect, udev, (s|p)ata and filesystem hooks should be there)
vim /boot/grub/menu.lst # Check settings
mkinitcpio -p kernel26
# press CTRL-D to exit the chroot
umount /mnt/arch/{proc,dev,sys,boot,}
shutdown -r now

EDIT typo and stuff about dual-boot

Last edited by klixon (2009-11-25 20:14:31)

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#4 2009-11-26 16:28:13

MeatHead

Same problem here, trying to find the "fix" for days, tried this suggestion because it's exactly my problem, at the third line (boot) it always comes up stating I need to specify the filesystem, WHERE? in the <boot-device> part of the line? at the end? I've sat here for almost an hour typing this in every possible configuration just to get nowhere.
I've been trying Linux off & on for freek'n 5 years now and ALWAYS have trouble with it, constantly buggy, Arch is just the final attempt to find something that works and it won't even install.
Time to buy a Mac.

#5 2009-11-26 17:37:07

Hiz

JoeKer1086 wrote:

This is my second install of Arch.....and it failed again. It said it could not locate the super block for /root. I used the by-label naming scheme and had a /boot, swap, /root and /home directory. /root and /home were both ext4, /boot was ext2. For some reason when checking file systems it could not locate the superblock on /dev/disk/by-label/root. When i tried to use the by-label to replace the superblock it could not be found so i had to use /dev/sda3 (which was /root) I tired several different superblocks (located with systemrescuecd-testdisk) with no success. obviously i am doing something wrong and i would really like to fix it....when i try to access /etc/fstab it says permission denied....i was going to try and rename them by uuid but if i cant get in here i dont know how i would. i already got the uuid for each partition its just a matter of assigning it in fstab now i think.......i really dont wanna give up on arch so please help me out.

...Wait a sec. i am not going to make fan of you.but i must ask this for sure..
you know?  "/"   (pronounce root) is not /root.  you need   /  . Did you make / ? if you dont have /  you cant set /root as a system. i dont know what is the matter of superblock by the post (no enough info). well, i am asking where is the  / because you didnt mention this at all. maybe you created / and call it /root?

try it more simple. you only need / and swap partition to install(after you finish installation you can make rest of partitions if you have space)
the point of Arch installation is you better finish it as simple as you can, then setup others after you boot from Archlinux.
Arch installer is far from perfect. (just it is enough to complete installation)

#6 2009-11-27 14:23:33

JoeKer1086

yes i do have a / partition and it is labeled /root. as for making the rest of the partitions afterward i can try that but i really want to fix it rather than install it again...it isnt a horrible installation but its by far not the quickest installation of linux i have ever done.....i will try again with the / and swap partitions but can you help me try to fix this first?

as for klixon's post i tried all of those commands and its just not workin for me..... I really like the idea behind arch and really was looking forward to the flexibility of the system but I gettin pretty frustrated......im doing the install on a laptop if it makes any difference....should i try the legacy install??????? would that make any difference?

Last edited by JoeKer1086 (2009-11-27 14:25:31)

I understand it completely, grappled hopelessly with comprehension, balanced on the edge of insanity for an eternity.....a moment.

#7 2009-11-27 15:02:57

JoeKer1086

Here is a thought, I have an install for fedora 12....if i were to install fedora 12 creating a /boot swap / and /home partition could I then just install the / partition from the arch cd? in theory that would work right?

#8 2009-11-27 16:46:29

Hiz

ok.. i read all your posts on the forum. and i think you must already have answer from there.
if you cant solve the problem, i must say you are not understanding these things.
so. what i can say for you at last. try to use 2009.02 network install image. this image use uidd syntax for fstab,
with this installer image you can not get this problem again, (but no ext4 available at instillation. as i remember)

or use CHAKRA http://chakra-project.org/ , this is Archlinux derivative Linux with live-CD and KDE. you want to use KDE arent u? so. this is your best choice
good luck!

Last edited by Hiz (2009-11-27 16:56:25)

#9 2009-11-28 23:04:26

JoeKer1086

so i fixed it..... i didnt completely understand what klixon was saying until i tried fixing it from a live cd a second time....thank you for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the problem was that my root and home were both labeled root somehow and both were set up as 1 priority for the fs check. again i really appriciate everyones help.

#10 2010-01-22 16:40:36

toad
Website

Sorry for necromancing, but this appears to be an issue still. While I get klixon's aim to mount it in a chroot jail I am not quite sure about the udev running in early user space!? Anyway, trying it now...

EDIT:
Tried it, went into chroot and rebuilt it, but still no joy.

As far as I am concerned the thing is buggered and won't work. Perhaps I'll try another iso... This is bugging me 'cos every other distro works without fault. What is wrong with arch???

Last edited by toad (2010-01-22 17:16:31)

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

Board footer