You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-23 12:02:22

Spider.007
Member
Registered: 2004-06-20
Posts: 1,148
Website

Forum migration to React?

I have considered posting this thread a few times; but never did. But here it is anyway.

The current Archlinux BBS is running on the free phpBB forum-software; which is nice, but not that good. My biggest problem is that it just doesn't work smoothly. There is other forumsoftware I think works a lot better. I wouldn't open this topic if layout or functionality were the only reasons; but my biggest problem is that phpBB holds me back in actively contributing to the Archlinux forums; which is the reason for opening this thread.

Therefore, I want to suggest a move from phpBB to React; which I use on multiple forums. I use React myself (there is a free version called MyReact); and it really works perfectly. What I appreciate most is that it has a private 'startpage' called MyReact; this will allow you to view active threads in specific subforums, forumwide active-topics, bookmarks, buddies and threads which you posted in. It also has RSS support which is usefull for checking if someone replies to a thread you watch smile

It has an easy template system (better then phpBB), a good securitymodel and very good performance. The only drawback is that you will need to convert PHPBB>React (there is a convertor for that). I really believe that React will be better to use as bbs-software; so please have a look for yourself at the React website

Please don't consider this topic as spam; it just an improvement proposal smile

Offline

#2 2005-02-23 12:44:32

oscar
Member
From: Linköping, Sweden
Registered: 2004-08-13
Posts: 457

Re: Forum migration to React?

Is there any good migration tool for phpBB->React?
I haven't ever tried React, but it _looks_ pretty nice smile


To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

Offline

#3 2005-02-23 12:44:51

rasat
Forum Fellow
From: Finland, working in Romania
Registered: 2002-12-27
Posts: 2,176
Website

Re: Forum migration to React?

Do you have any links React in action.... the screenshoots are too small.

Offline

#4 2005-02-23 13:15:37

arooaroo
Member
From: London, UK
Registered: 2005-01-13
Posts: 1,268
Website

Re: Forum migration to React?

Is it me or is all the info on myReact in dutch only?

I must admit that I've heard phpbb is rather insecure - but this by virtue of php also being rather insecure, and thus all php webapps inherit its deficiencies.

Unfortunately, I can't really qualify what it is about php that's so bad as I'm no security expert. However, my security guru of a collegue was the one who informed me - and I trust his insights.

In terms of functionality, I don't think phpbb is that bad. Admittedly, if there were other systems that provided a better user experience, then they should be investgated (as i'm sure they will) as it would help differentiate AL from the rest of the crowd.

Offline

#5 2005-02-23 15:49:13

Spider.007
Member
Registered: 2004-06-20
Posts: 1,148
Website

Re: Forum migration to React?

oscar wrote:

Is there any good migration tool for phpBB->React?
I haven't ever tried React, but it _looks_ pretty nice smile

Yes there is; it will migrate posts, topics, users and categories. It doesn't require much work, especially when you are not using very specific security groups and stuff.

rasat wrote:

Do you have any links React in action.... the screenshoots are too small.

Yes, my favorite forum Gathering of Tweakers is built in it; other examples (dutch):
http://www.webpiraat.nl/
http://support.myreact.nl/

arooaroo wrote:

Is it me or is all the info on myReact in dutch only?

Nope, that is right. It started as a Dutch forum; and they are just working on English, which is part of the reason I started this topic

I must admit that I've heard phpbb is rather insecure - but this by virtue of php also being rather insecure, and thus all php webapps inherit its deficiencies.

React is closed-source; which has some drawbacks; but also its positives. I have customised it though; and it is very simple to do.

Unfortunately, I can't really qualify what it is about php that's so bad as I'm no security expert. However, my security guru of a collegue was the one who informed me - and I trust his insights.

In terms of functionality, I don't think phpbb is that bad. Admittedly, if there were other systems that provided a better user experience, then they should be investgated (as i'm sure they will) as it would help differentiate AL from the rest of the crowd.

I believe React provides that smile It also has some neat features (such as closing all UBB tags with a simple [/]; which I keep forgetting in phpBB :X); and feels more complete and thougth about, then phpBB smile

Offline

#6 2005-02-23 16:06:52

arooaroo
Member
From: London, UK
Registered: 2005-01-13
Posts: 1,268
Website

Re: Forum migration to React?

Spider.007 wrote:

Nope, that is right. It started as a Dutch forum; and they are just working on English, which is part of the reason I started this topic.

This has to include the support docs too. Otherwise, it would take a brave person to convert if they had no documentation (unless the forum admin(s) here speak dutch too!)

Spider.007 wrote:

React is closed-source; which has some drawbacks; but also its positives. I have customised it though; and it is very simple to do.

Due to where you placed that quote, you give the impression that closed source == secure. That's obviously not a logical statement.

With respect to customising - the open source approach is extremely flexible here. For example, Rasat, Catcus and myself are working on a couple of phpbb mods to provide features exactly to the Arch forums admins requirements. Is that the type of customising you were referring too - or did you mean athestic changes?

Offline

#7 2005-02-23 16:29:34

Spider.007
Member
Registered: 2004-06-20
Posts: 1,148
Website

Re: Forum migration to React?

arooaroo wrote:
Spider.007 wrote:

Nope, that is right. It started as a Dutch forum; and they are just working on English, which is part of the reason I started this topic.

This has to include the support docs too. Otherwise, it would take a brave person to convert if they had no documentation (unless the forum admin(s) here speak dutch too!)

It seems the documentation isn't translated yet... that might be a problem big_smile

arooaroo wrote:
Spider.007 wrote:

React is closed-source; which has some drawbacks; but also its positives. I have customised it though; and it is very simple to do.

Due to where you placed that quote, you give the impression that closed source == secure. That's obviously not a logical statement.

With respect to customising - the open source approach is extremely flexible here. For example, Rasat, Catcus and myself are working on a couple of phpbb mods to provide features exactly to the Arch forums admins requirements. Is that the type of customising you were referring too - or did you mean athestic changes?

Ofcourse security hasn't got much to do with open or closed source;  I meant that functionality-customising is not as easy as in phpBB. Template-customising is a lot easier to do then in phpBB though. What are the exact mods you are creating; maybe the functionality is already present in React?

Offline

#8 2005-02-23 18:15:18

campylobacter
Member
From: Austria
Registered: 2004-04-12
Posts: 60
Website

Re: Forum migration to React?

I don´t found the download link, where is it?  roll

Offline

#9 2005-02-23 19:25:11

phrakture
Arch Overlord
From: behind you
Registered: 2003-10-29
Posts: 7,879
Website

Re: Forum migration to React?

I'm a fan of phpBB - I just think we need to strap in some phpBB mods...

Offline

#10 2005-02-23 20:04:20

Spider.007
Member
Registered: 2004-06-20
Posts: 1,148
Website

Re: Forum migration to React?

campylobacter wrote:

I don´t found the download link, where is it?  roll

Since React isn't freeware it is not available for download. MyReact however; can be downloaded from the MyReact website but I am afraid that's all Dutch too :X Guess we need to wait for them to totally move to English....  :oops:

Offline

#11 2005-02-23 20:06:46

cactus
Taco Eater
From: t͈̫̹ͨa͖͕͎̱͈ͨ͆ć̥̖̝o̫̫̼s͈̭̱̞͍̃!̰
Registered: 2004-05-25
Posts: 4,615
Website

Re: Forum migration to React?

Not open source? I would pass on that. There is a time when closed source is the right decision, but this is not it.


Speaking of better bb software, I have noticed punBB lately. It is like phpBB, only much faster, and more streamlined (less options and functionality though). I might give it a whirl on one of the sites that I use, and see how it "smells".


"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Offline

#12 2005-02-23 20:16:33

oscar
Member
From: Linköping, Sweden
Registered: 2004-08-13
Posts: 457

Re: Forum migration to React?

cactus wrote:

Speaking of better bb software, I have noticed punBB lately. It is like phpBB, only much faster, and more streamlined (less options and functionality though). I might give it a whirl on one of the sites that I use, and see how it "smells".

The reason why people think punBB is faster does have a logic explanation - it doesn't contain any graphics!
I find using it pretty nice, but the lack of eyecandy wears me out in the long run...


To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

Offline

#13 2005-02-23 20:24:40

phrakture
Arch Overlord
From: behind you
Registered: 2003-10-29
Posts: 7,879
Website

Re: Forum migration to React?

oscar wrote:
cactus wrote:

Speaking of better bb software, I have noticed punBB lately. It is like phpBB, only much faster, and more streamlined (less options and functionality though). I might give it a whirl on one of the sites that I use, and see how it "smells".

The reason why people think punBB is faster does have a logic explanation - it doesn't contain any graphics!
I find using it pretty nice, but the lack of eyecandy wears me out in the long run...

I like punbb - very "console like" I guess.... minimalist...

Offline

#14 2005-03-01 05:15:38

Hum
Member
Registered: 2004-06-13
Posts: 46

Re: Forum migration to React?

someone should just throw together a skin without any graphics smile

Offline

#15 2005-03-01 06:53:25

cactus
Taco Eater
From: t͈̫̹ͨa͖͕͎̱͈ͨ͆ć̥̖̝o̫̫̼s͈̭̱̞͍̃!̰
Registered: 2004-05-25
Posts: 4,615
Website

Re: Forum migration to React?

Hum wrote:

someone should just throw together a skin without any graphics smile

yeah. phpbb themes are not overly hard to make. I made one a while back for a public radio station..
*shrug*


"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Offline

#16 2005-03-01 07:34:54

sarah31
Member
From: Middle of Canada
Registered: 2002-08-20
Posts: 2,975
Website

Re: Forum migration to React?

i have always like vBulletin


AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB