You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-23 20:46:12

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

awesome desktop stuff.

http://www.rasterman.com/index.php?page=Main

I can't wait for E17. I almost pissed my pants watching the avi files he has linked on the page.
*rubs hands together*

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#2 2005-02-23 22:25:30

sarah31
Website

Re: awesome desktop stuff.

They have been promising E17 for like three years now. It better be good when it comes out or the time they took will have been in vain.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2005-02-23 23:05:56

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I believe they hit a road bump at about year 1. They decided to rewrite from mostly scratch for some reason.
*shrug*
Not being on the dev team I can only speculate. Raster does have a history of being a little high-falutan, but he also has a history of delivering some pretty kick ass stuff--that is arguable ahead of it's time.
so..maybe he can affort to be a little persnickity.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#4 2005-02-24 02:36:22

Mith

holy $hit..
those videos seriously look awesome! Is that really something that real big_smile ??? i guess it is..

ArchLinux (x86_64) w/ kdemod

#5 2005-02-24 02:39:49

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

yeah..that moving background made me drool all over my keyboard.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#6 2005-02-24 03:28:46

dp
Website

working while the screen-saver is running? hmm ... good that it is not a fractal generator, because then i would look at the background the whole day and have done nothing in the end ...

it looks promising

anyone knows where to get the code to try it out?

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#7 2005-02-24 03:31:33

babyigor37

The vids are great looking, but they don't really show how E17 will handle windows, which is pretty important for a window manager.  If E17 doesn't let me move and resize windows and start apps with either the mouse or keyboard as well as Openbox does, I don't see why it would be worthwhile to switch.  I'm as easily amused as the next guy, but fire and snow on my desktop and fancy shadows will only keep me entertained for so long.  And I thought both MPlayer and XScreensaver could be used as a root background, giving the same type of motion in the videos.

#8 2005-02-24 04:47:13

dp
Website

babyigor37 wrote:

And I thought both MPlayer and XScreensaver could be used as a root background, giving the same type of motion in the videos.

you need a much better xrender to do THAT on a normal graphics adapter with having a normal picture (>25fps) ;-)

#9 2005-02-24 05:09:42

babyigor37

you need a much better xrender to do THAT on a normal graphics adapter with having a normal picture (>25fps)

True enough, but I think I'll stick with an unrendered, unanimated, completely and perfectly static image of Jennifer Love Hewitt as my desktop background.  I don't need no fancy-pants, cutting edge animation engine to make me drool all over my keyboard.

#10 2005-02-24 06:30:01

iphitus
Forum Fellow

babyigor37 wrote:

you need a much better xrender to do THAT on a normal graphics adapter with having a normal picture (>25fps)

True enough, but I think I'll stick with an unrendered, unanimated, completely and perfectly static image of Jennifer Love Hewitt as my desktop background.  I don't need no fancy-pants, cutting edge animation engine to make me drool all over my keyboard.

Sure you dont want a video or render of jennifer love hewitt moving around? tongue

The low FPS on those videos was due to the program he was using to record, on his screen it was as smooth as you could want.

As for e17 and when it'll arrive. The past few years, they've been writing everything from scratch, image loading libraries, config libraries, drawing libraries and all sorts of stuff. it's collectively know as the enlightenment foundation library. only a few months ago has it been considered working enough to start building E17 on it, and since then development has been more rapid.

We'll be seein E17 by the end of the year....

#11 2005-02-24 06:44:58

dp
Website

iphitus wrote:

The low FPS on those videos was due to the program he was using to record, on his screen it was as smooth as you could want.

i read the text! - yes ;-) ... i was telling that with the classical Xrender you would have big troubles

iphitus wrote:

As for e17 and when it'll arrive. The past few years, they've been writing everything from scratch, image loading libraries, config libraries, drawing libraries and all sorts of stuff. it's collectively know as the enlightenment foundation library. only a few months ago has it been considered working enough to start building E17 on it, and since then development has been more rapid.

We'll be seein E17 by the end of the year....

yep - rewriting from tabula rasa takes time ... but a better involvation of the users and easier documentation would be cool (maybe i don't know where to search for the api's and the docs and source-downloads, but their website is not really usable (it is very cool in design, but not very easy to navigate (my personal opinion)))

#12 2005-02-24 12:45:59

miqorz

It looks as if e17 is the whisper to a scream that so many people wanted.

I just hope this doen't influence other desktops.. I happen to like XFce the way it is and where it's heading. E17 is what turned me off from the E project.

I loved E16 and followed E17 since 2003.. I'm sorely dissapointed.

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/

Read it. Love it. Live it. Or die.

#13 2005-02-24 18:37:04

beniro

miqorz wrote:

It looks as if e17 is the whisper to a scream that so many people wanted.

I just hope this doen't influence other desktops.. I happen to like XFce the way it is and where it's heading. E17 is what turned me off from the E project.

I loved E16 and followed E17 since 2003.. I'm sorely dissapointed.

Yeah...I love XFCE4.  Enlightenment DR17 has it's place, though.  It's really snappy on my system.  I play around with it when I'm not working in XFCE.

You all know that you can get a functioning E17 install using rensel's TUR, right?

Just add his repo, synch, and:

pacman -S efl

Sweet!

#14 2005-02-25 19:45:57

Iron Wallaby

Amusingly, I loved XFCE4 before 4.2. I really *dislike* where it's going; I thought it was great up until recently.

On the contrary, I hate E16, from what I've used of it. I'm currently toying with E17, and (besides being all glitzy eye-candy) it's pretty useable. I'm impressed with what they can do... it's pretty great stuff. And to get all these crazy effects with blinding smoothness? I'm very impressed. I am looking forward to when it's out of beta status...  as long as useability is as much a focus as prettiness, I think Enlightenment could be a wonderful desktop and could be a large draw to Linux in general.

Board footer