You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-19 15:43:18

ben-arch

Automatic recording of incoming phone calls ...

Am running arch64.

I'm looking for a way to automaticaly start recording incoming phone calls (land line) once someone in the house answered that call on any handset.

I guess I'll need some hardware to add to my computer, but, mainly, the right software.  If any one have any ideas of how this can be done I will aprectiate hearing them.

Thanks
Ben

#2 2009-12-19 15:53:19

lagagnon
Website

Re: Automatic recording of incoming phone calls ...

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/27/how- … old-modem/

I found that for you in about 5 seconds by typing: ""recording telephone calls" Linux" into Google.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2009-12-19 16:01:05

pyther
Website

Also in the United States it is illegal to record a land line conversation without telling the other party.

So if you don't live in the USA check your local law!

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#4 2009-12-19 16:31:51

ben-arch

pyther wrote:

Also in the United States it is illegal to record a land line conversation without telling the other party.

So if you don't live in the USA check your local law!

I live in Israel.

As long as one of the sides to the conversation knows that a recording is being done - it is totaly legal.  Much more logical than in teh states.

lagagnon - thanks.  Will remeber that. 
But -
- it only addresses the hardware side and, truthfully. I'm looking for a less DIY aproach.
- it doesn't answer the software part of my quest.

Last edited by ben-arch (2009-12-19 16:35:53)

#5 2009-12-19 17:02:02

karol
Archivist

> As long as one of the sides to the conversation knows that a recording is being done - it is totaly legal.
If I put a camera in your shower I know it's there, but you don't. Is it legal? I think all sides have to know and agree. And you should have have proofs that they do in case they "forget" you told them you record it.

#6 2009-12-19 17:10:04

lagagnon
Website

ben-arch wrote:

You obviously did not read the article properly. The software suggested for use is audacity: pacman -S audacity

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#7 2009-12-19 17:47:13

ben-arch

karol wrote:

> As long as one of the sides to the conversation knows that a recording is being done - it is totaly legal.
If I put a camera in your shower I know it's there, but you don't. Is it legal? I think all sides have to know and agree. And you should have have proofs that they do in case they "forget" you told them you record it.

So, in your book, breaking and entering and planting a camera in someones house without prior consent is the SAME as recording a conversion where ONE of those having that conversation records it ?

To each his own.

#8 2009-12-19 17:49:15

ben-arch

lagagnon wrote:
ben-arch wrote:

You obviously did not read the article properly. The software suggested for use is audacity: pacman -S audacity

I've read.  Believe me.  But I don't see how Audacity can start/stop recording automaticaly when a phone handset is lifted/put back.

#9 2009-12-19 19:00:41

karol
Archivist

IMHO this conversation doesn't belong to Newbie Corner and it has little to do with Arch.

@ben-arch
Wrt to the breaking and entering part: I did it w/o your knowledge, w/o your consent. I can put cameras and microphones all around my house - in the shower too - and then invite you over for the weekend w/o telling you that it's basically a BigBrother's house. The lack of consent is the common part in all those cases. I have to ask you are you OK with me recording everything/anything.

IANAL but the police in many countries has to request a permit from a judge to listen to and record your conversations so it's not a trivial thing.

#10 2010-01-22 23:33:16

Ferrenrock

Actually, it's only illegal in certain states--on a federal level, only one party needs consent, and it appears to be the case in most states as well. The following states require the consent of both parties:

California
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Massachusetts
Maryland
Michigan
Montana
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Washington

There are some exceptions--illinois is only one party for private citizens, California allows recording if the recorder begins with a 'beep', etc. Check up on your state's laws before you try out recording your calls between your buddies, in case one of them doesn't like it too much.

Board footer