You are not logged in.

#251 2009-12-23 16:35:11

SantaSCSI

Re: Goggles Music Manager

I just tried something out and it looks like it uses the %BAND% tag in place of the %ALBUMARTIST% tag smile. No problem, I'll just squeeze my collection through MP3tag smile.

#252 2009-12-23 18:30:40

GogglesGuy
Website

SantaSCSI wrote:

I just tried something out and it looks like it uses the %BAND% tag in place of the %ALBUMARTIST% tag smile. No problem, I'll just squeeze my collection through MP3tag smile.

For id3v2 I was under the impression the "Band/Orchestra/Accompaniment" tag (TPE2) has been mostly used for the albumartist tag.

#253 2009-12-23 20:31:53

SantaSCSI

It is indeed one of the most used tags smile. The "problem" is solemly mine because foobar uses albumartist as standard tag. But I just finished the conversion and guess what. GMM has now officially replaced Foobar+wine and Amarok.

You made me happeh tongue.

#254 2009-12-24 05:13:20

stryder

Have just installed GMM and it certainly seems promising. Have a few questions:

1. Can I import/play m4b files? If so how do I enable this?
2. What is the queue column in playlist and how is it determined?
3. Is it possible to set some default choices for playlist columns - right now settings seem to be specific to a playlist. Also a choice for default sort order.

Have been using audacious mostly so I mainly import into a playlist and listen. I listen to a lot of downloaded audio (radio) content and being able to sort properly is important. GMM looks more versatile and just as quick. Thanks.

#255 2009-12-24 15:18:15

GogglesGuy
Website

stryder wrote:

Have just installed GMM and it certainly seems promising. Have a few questions:

1. Can I import/play m4b files? If so how do I enable this?

Not right now. If you rename one of them to .m4a and see if that ones gets imported and is playable. If so, it would be really easy and quick to add support for it.

stryder wrote:

2. What is the queue column in playlist and how is it determined?

The queue is the order of tracks in the playlist. Its initial order is based on the order you put the tracks in the playlist. You can change the (queue) order by dragging the tracks around.

stryder wrote:

3. Is it possible to set some default choices for playlist columns - right now settings seem to be specific to a playlist. Also a choice for default sort order.

Right now the default columns and sort order are hardwired.

#256 2009-12-24 16:15:04

stryder

Thanks, GG.

Renaming to .m4a works. I hope you will make the change.

I just drag a folder into the playlist. Shouldn't GMM use title or track no. (preferably) to determine order? The way it is now, the proper album order has to be coded into the title (then I sort by title) or I have to turn on the track no. column (off by default) to sort properly.

#257 2009-12-27 10:20:49

YZMSQ

I just supposed that it's developed by Google.......Goggles and Google.....haha....a joke...

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper
                            -------T·S·Eliot

#258 2009-12-27 10:52:35

skyfire

Even i failed to noticed the word. I thought of it as googles music manager.

#259 2009-12-27 21:34:08

GogglesGuy
Website

skyfire wrote:

Even i failed to noticed the word. I thought of it as googles music manager.

Yes, it seems a lot of people suffer from the same problem...

#260 2009-12-27 21:42:42

GogglesGuy
Website

stryder wrote:

Thanks, GG.

Renaming to .m4a works. I hope you will make the change.

I've added it in 0.10.14

stryder wrote:

I just drag a folder into the playlist. Shouldn't GMM use title or track no. (preferably) to determine order? The way it is now, the proper album order has to be coded into the title (then I sort by title) or I have to turn on the track no. column (off by default) to sort properly.

Yes, I can see the issue, but I'm not sure what the proper solution is, since either way can be 'correct'.

#261 2009-12-28 03:38:00

stryder

GogglesGuy wrote:

I've added it in 0.10.14

Great! Thanks.

GogglesGuy wrote:

Yes, I can see the issue, but I'm not sure what the proper solution is, since either way can be 'correct'.

I would suggest replacing the "queue" column with "track no.". And make the default sort to be either track no. or title or no sort at all (present default, I think). The best and most flexible solution is that "queue" can be reset to reflect the sequence of songs that have been sorted. In other words I can sort songs in any way I want, click something and the queue numbers are re-set to reflect the new sequence.

#262 2009-12-30 12:11:17

katzen

from this topic: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=86730 , your player became mine!
thanks a lot for the great software.

there is just one thing, I've opened a issue: http://code.google.com/p/gogglesmm/issues/detail?id=134

I'm in the last.fm group as well (my nick is rostayob)

#263 2010-01-17 10:15:56

stryder

Hadn't the chance to explore GMM lately but noticed some updates. Took a look today and it seems that you have implemented queue to follow track no. Thanks very much. big_smile. Version 0.10.16 here.

#264 2010-01-21 16:26:18

GogglesGuy
Website

stryder wrote:

Hadn't the chance to explore GMM lately but noticed some updates. Took a look today and it seems that you have implemented queue to follow track no. Thanks very much. big_smile. Version 0.10.16 here.

Uhmm, I didn't change anything there.

#265 2010-01-22 16:37:54

Sharn

Awesome piece of software! I've been using Banshee, but my poor little P4 doesn't much like that, so I've had my eyes open for something lighter, and GMM fits that very well. Two things I would like:

1. I noticed MusicTracker says it has support for GMM, but it is not working out of the box. I've looked in the gmm prefs and didn't find anything, looked in musictracker prefs, tried autodetect and MPRIS, but still no luck. Am I missing something somewhere?

2. A queue playlist. Preferably just a playlist in the left that one could drag files to (or right click > send to queue), except that it deletes the tracks from the queue after playing them.

I'm very sorry if these have already been brought up, I didn't feel like wading through 10 more pages to check.

Thank you again. (P.S, as for looks, I'm fine with thee built-in clearlooks theme, it's a little Win95ish, but not too bad.

#266 2010-01-22 16:50:30

GogglesGuy
Website

Sharn wrote:

Awesome piece of software! I've been using Banshee, but my poor little P4 doesn't much like that, so I've had my eyes open for something lighter, and GMM fits that very well. Two things I would like:

1. I noticed MusicTracker says it has support for GMM, but it is not working out of the box. I've looked in the gmm prefs and didn't find anything, looked in musictracker prefs, tried autodetect and MPRIS, but still no luck. Am I missing something somewhere?

That information is not totally correct. I've added a (partial) mpris interface to the development version. So it is true that is working with musictracker, but it is not yet released.

Sharn wrote:

2. A queue playlist. Preferably just a playlist in the left that one could drag files to (or right click > send to queue), except that it deletes the tracks from the queue after playing them.

I'm working on that one (see http://code.google.com/p/gogglesmm/issues/detail?id=25). I'm still not sure how it exactly should work, but I'm gravitating towards the way it works in Rhythmbox.

Sharn wrote:

I'm very sorry if these have already been brought up, I didn't feel like wading through 10 more pages to check.
Thank you again. (P.S, as for looks, I'm fine with thee built-in clearlooks theme, it's a little Win95ish, but not too bad.

No problem! I've been working on a updated look and feel: http://www.fifthplanet.net/2009/07/gogg … tures.html

#267 2010-01-22 17:31:00

Sharn

Awesome - I just built musicmanager-svn from aur and now musictracker works, along with the new clearlooks theme also. I also see that the play queue is implemented... very cool.

Excellent job and thanks for the quick reply. smile

#268 2010-01-22 17:32:58

GogglesGuy
Website

Sharn wrote:

Awesome - I just built musicmanager-svn from aur and now musictracker works, along with the new clearlooks theme also. I also see that the play queue is implemented... very cool.

Excellent job and thanks for the quick reply. smile

Just a word of caution that the development version is not recommended for daily use, unless you're willing to live with potential bugs and incompatible database changes that may occur now and then.

#269 2010-01-22 17:53:57

Sharn

That's perfectly fine with me, thanks for the warning. I still have Banshee installed and ready to use just in case. I've got a couple suggestions for the queue that I'll add to the bugtracker discussion later.

#270 2010-01-23 14:00:02

MikeT
Website

When trying to play an internet radio stream I'm getting the error "no demux plugin found to play".  Had a search online which suggested deleting .xine which hasn't helped, any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

#271 2010-01-23 15:03:09

GogglesGuy
Website

MikeT wrote:

When trying to play an internet radio stream I'm getting the error "no demux plugin found to play".  Had a search online which suggested deleting .xine which hasn't helped, any ideas?

Perhaps the radio stream is down. Can you post the url?

#272 2010-01-23 16:15:30

MikeT
Website

GogglesGuy wrote:

Perhaps the radio stream is down. Can you post the url?

Checked that.  It works fine in VLC.  Here's a couple I've been trying...

http://www.originuk.net/joomlah15/modul … format=M3U

http://www.nuskoolbreaks.co.uk/radio/listen96k.pls

Thanks,
Mike

#273 2010-01-23 17:36:37

GogglesGuy
Website

Ok... this is sort of a known issue... xine doesn't support pls and m3u, so in other to support those gmm downloads and parses these files first. In order to do that, gmm needs to know whether a url refers to a pls or m3u stream. Right now gmm uses a simple file extension to determine that.

This one works for me, since gmm can easily determine it refers to a pls stream:

But this one doesn't, since the file extension will be 'php'.

#274 2010-01-23 17:50:58

MikeT
Website

Cool thanks for the quick response. First one works fine here now too, no idea what I did wrong.

Thanks for such a great player.  I just installed ArchLinux and decided to have a look past the standard KDE/Gnome apps that everyone uses and thought I'd give this a whirl first.  I've not bothered looking at any others big_smile

Mike

#275 2010-02-04 13:58:16

stryder

GogglesGuy wrote:
stryder wrote:

Uhmm, I didn't change anything there.

Isn't it nice when things resolve themselves. big_smile It seems that when I select all files in a folder and drag them into a playlist the queue follows track number. I haven't really tested this exhaustively though but when I just drag a folder, the order is wrong.

One other question: whenever I use GMM I will sometimes see some movement, like an icon flying. I don't actually see the icon flying, just some movement, even when my browser is on top of the player. It happens infrequently but will happen at least once every time I am using the player. No harm - just curious if others have observed the same thing.

Board footer