You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-17 21:50:56

jeypeyy

Made a stupid change in rc.conf - Can't login anymore [SOLVED]

I've been using Ubuntu and a lot of other mainstream distributions these last two years, but this is the first time I've set up an arch machine.

I've been trying to get xfce running by doing as written here, but when I tried adding hal to rc.conf I wrote "/etc/rc.d/hal start", which appearently wasn't the right way to do. I guess the right way to do that was by adding only "/etc/rc.d/hal" (without quotes, ofc), right?

So now I can't login to arch anymore since it keeps complaining about that. Is it possible to make it ignore that?

And since everyone else does it, I guess I have to say sorry for my bad english, I live in Sweden.

Last edited by jeypeyy (2010-01-23 15:17:47)

#2 2010-01-17 22:00:21

panuh

Re: Made a stupid change in rc.conf - Can't login anymore [SOLVED]

You should have only put "hal" into the DAEMONS array (without /etc/rc.d/ and without quotes, of course), as said in the wiki.

Probably in the bottom line, you will see DAEMONS=( ... ). It should go there, seperated by spaces.

If you can't start the machine anymore and don't know what to do, look up how to mount your drive from a live system and modify it from there.

Last edited by panuh (2010-01-17 22:05:15)

#3 2010-01-17 22:02:14

toad
Website

Welcome smile

Do you know about tty 1-6? Press CTRL+ALT+F1 (or F2 or F3... until F6, F7 is your first X).

Now log in and use your favourite editor to change whatever.

HTH

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#4 2010-01-17 22:03:18

brisbin33
Website

you could try single user mode (appending 1 to the grub line, google for a step-by-step).  otherwise you may have to resort to a liveCD.

also, when you're back up and running, just add "hal" (no quotes) to the DAEMONS array like here http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DAEMONS

#5 2010-01-17 22:03:20

Primoz

No the right way to do it would be to put hal under daemons in rc.conf...
How far does it let you boot?
Once I played with boot process and screwed something up it opened a kernel-shell and let me repair what I've done.
I think there's even a key for it I think it's SysReq; but I'm not sure if it's turned on in default Arch Kernel...

Anyway if you still have another distro like Ubuntu or a liveCD use it mount your Arch root partition and edit rc.conf.

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#6 2010-01-17 22:03:49

jeypeyy

panuh wrote:

You should have only put "hal" into the DAEMONS array, as said in the wiki.

Probably in the bottom line, you will see DAEMONS=( ... ). It should go there, seperated by spaces.

Ok, thanks, but I still can't login since it keeps complaining about that when I boot Arch. Is there a way I can make it ignore that from grub or something like that?

#7 2010-01-17 22:05:03

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Did you remove the line you had added? And can you tell us specifically what errors and warnings come up?

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#8 2010-01-17 22:06:44

panuh

Sorry, made my edit too late. See my first reply. Start from live system, as also said by brisbin33

#9 2010-01-17 22:17:52

jeypeyy

Holy crap, you guys are faster than michael schumacher! I can't take the time to respond to all of you.

What happens is that some things loads like always, but when it tries to load something with rc, it complains about that line I wrote. But then it goes on and it retries for eternity (I think).

I'll be trying things you've been saying too, thanks!

#10 2010-01-17 22:53:25

jeypeyy

More specifially, it says

rc.conf: line 94: XYZ killed                      /etc/rc.d/hal start

Where X, Y and Z are different numbers.
It keeps writing a lot of different things and many times it says that.

Quite often it says this too:

Starting Hardware Abstraction Layer              [FAIL]

#11 2010-01-17 22:59:18

sand_man

Put a 1 at the end of the grub entry to log into single user mode.
You should be able to edit /etc/rc.conf from there (I think)

neutral

#12 2010-01-17 23:01:57

Sia
Website

Boot with live system CD/USB and replace the old one with sample her:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rc.conf

and test it, if all  DAEMONS worked with:

ls /var/run/daemons

#13 2010-01-17 23:08:16

jeypeyy

Single user mode, tty 1-6 and SysRq doesn't work. I'll be trying a live cd another day.

Thank you anyways.

#14 2010-01-17 23:31:50

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Single user still uses rc.conf. You will need to use a live cd, such as the Arch install cd or Knoppix. You may also use another linux distro such as Ubuntu.

1. Boot your machine into the alternative system selected above and switch to root (if you're not root already).

2. Figure out what device corresponds to your Arch system's root. For this post we'll call it /dev/sdxn. Replace that with whatever the device is really called. Be aware, the device may not have the same name in the rescue system as it did on your Arch system.

3. Mount the device. Assuming you choose /mnt as the mount point, enter the command as follows mount /dev/sdxn /mnt

4. Cd into /mnt and double check it is Arch's root. If not, go back to step 2. If it is, continue to step 5.

5. Use your favorite editor to open /mnt/etc/rc.conf.

6. Remove the line you added earlier.

7. Edit the DAEMONS line at the bottom to include hal if it isn't there. The entry will go just after syslog-ng (or whatever syslog you use) at the beginning of the array.

8. Save the file.

9. Reboot.

10 ???

11. Profit!

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#15 2010-01-23 15:13:30

jeypeyy

fsckd wrote:

Single user still uses rc.conf. You will need to use a live cd, such as the Arch install cd or Knoppix. You may also use another linux distro such as Ubuntu.

1. Boot your machine into the alternative system selected above and switch to root (if you're not root already).

2. Figure out what device corresponds to your Arch system's root. For this post we'll call it /dev/sdxn. Replace that with whatever the device is really called. Be aware, the device may not have the same name in the rescue system as it did on your Arch system.

3. Mount the device. Assuming you choose /mnt as the mount point, enter the command as follows mount /dev/sdxn /mnt

4. Cd into /mnt and double check it is Arch's root. If not, go back to step 2. If it is, continue to step 5.

5. Use your favorite editor to open /mnt/etc/rc.conf.

6. Remove the line you added earlier.

7. Edit the DAEMONS line at the bottom to include hal if it isn't there. The entry will go just after syslog-ng (or whatever syslog you use) at the beginning of the array.

8. Save the file.

9. Reboot.

10 ???

11. Profit!

Thanks! That worked!

Board footer