You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-21 08:35:35

Cows

I have sound from speakers but no sound from headphones

Hello,

My computer has sound from speakers as normal (Watching movies, music, youtube, etc) but when I plug in my headphones, it doesn't automatically redirect the sound to the headphones. I'm using KDE 4.3.4 (KDEMod) so my main means of communication to the devices are by using KMixer and muting/unmuting/raising/lowering devices/volumes. I do see the headphone option but it doesn't have any attributes to it (I can't lower or raise volume because there is none, and I can't mute it or unmute either).

My motherboard is Intel DG33FB

and the integrated audio chipset that I'm using (as described by Intel here) is:

Intel® High Definition Audio subsystem in the following configuration:

6-channel (5.1) audio subsystem using the Realtek ALC888* audio codec

If anyone needs additional information, please feel free to ask.

- Jon

#2 2010-01-21 17:56:08

Bregol

Re: I have sound from speakers but no sound from headphones

Don't know if you checked this yet, but if you open up kmix, in one of the menus there is an option to configure which channels are shown for the sound card.  If I remember right, on my setup at least at one point in time I've had a channel with no controls like you describe that was shown and then another one with the same name that does have controls that was not shown.

Another idea is to pull up alsamixer in the command line and see if there are any possible channels that might need to be unmuted that maybe weren't shown in kmix.

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë

#3 2010-01-22 04:16:50

Cows

I checked KMixer and I couldn't do anything to the Headphones option, I can only mute it but I can't raise it or lower it, I also can't redirect output from speakers to headphones because I don't know how. I installed and checked alsa-mixer but it basically shows the same settings as KMixer.

#4 2010-01-22 12:43:06

Bregol

Perhaps when the snd-hda-intel module loads it does not guess the proper model for your chipset? I have had times when the snd-hda-intel module does not guess correctly and leaves me with too few sliders in kmix.

There is an option you can set to tell the module what model you have (or what model is closest to what you have).

more on setting the model (from the wiki):
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Adv … l_Settings

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë

#5 2010-01-22 15:18:15

Cows

Hmm wouldn't know about that.

lspci -v prints this out for HD Audio :

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 0002
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
    Memory at e3220000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

alsamixer prints this out

Card: HDA Intel
Chip Realtek ALC888

The headphone bar is gone in the alsamixer as well.

and Intel says that this:

Intel® High Definition Audio subsystem in the following configuration:

6-channel (5.1) audio subsystem using the Realtek ALC888* audio codec

I'm assuming that the chipset was matched correctly, including the model?

#6 2010-01-22 15:41:14

Bregol

i'm not near a linux box to check this right now, but if i remember right

modinfo snd-hda-intel

should give a little info on the kernel module it is using to talk to the chip.  I think it might tell us what model the driver is using.

On the wiki page I mentioned, there is a link to http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Document … Models.txt
This is a list of the models that the snd-hda-intel uses.  While it may know that you are using the ALC888 codec, if you look at the list of models, you can see that the ALC888 codec is like a category under which there may be several models.

For example, on my old machine, the snd-hda-intel module knew the right codec I was using (ALC880 or something i dont remember), but from the list of models that it could be under the 880 category, it did not guess properly half the time.  Sometimes it would think it was the 5stack model, which gave me all the controls I needed, but sometimes it thought it was the 3stack model, which caused me to be missing a few sliders in kmix.

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë

#7 2010-01-23 21:23:52

Cows

Here is the output for modinfo snd-hda-intel

http://pastebin.com/m36a97747

It's using the snd-hda-intel.ko driver but it doesn't tell me what codec it's using.

#8 2010-01-23 22:23:31

GentleGiant

is the snd_pcsp module blacklisted in your rc.conf?

i had the same problem with my laptop's sound until i blacklisted it, and it worked flawlessly after.

#9 2010-01-24 02:21:27

Cows

Nope nothing is blacklisted. It's basically a default installation.

#10 2010-01-25 17:41:01

Bregol

I forgot about that - yeah, try blacklisting snd_pcsp.  I know it gives me issues if not blacklisted.  If that doesn't work try setting a model in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.  There is no model explicitly set right now, so it defaults to model=auto, which may or may not be guessing right.

I would say that 3stack-6ch-intel would be the right model to use (Intel DG33* boards).  I don't know if it is automatically picking that or not, but you could try setting that in modprobe.conf to make sure it chooses that.

options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-6ch-intel

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë

#11 2010-01-25 23:07:19

ewaller
Administrator

you also might try adding the following line to  /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf:

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1

It tells the driver your system uses message signaled interrupts for the Intel hda chipset.  On my system, plugging and unplugging of the headphone jack was not detected by the chipset leading to the symptoms you describe.  I don't know that your system does or does not use MSI, but it won't hurt to try.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer