You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-25 17:10:21

FerBenzaa

HAL policies

I was wondering if someone knows where I could find all the options for the HAL policies. I am talking about the fdi files that you can copy from /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy.

I think that it would be a good idea to create a post with these options for each policy (or even better, a wiki). It is quite time consuming to search in several websites to find an example of the options for configuring the keyboard and another website with the configurations for the synaptics touchpad.

If there isnt one, how could I start one?

#2 2010-01-25 22:43:36

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

Re: HAL policies

well you could always look at the source code...
however, there may be one out there already, but I am not aware of it

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#3 2010-01-26 09:52:46

FerBenzaa

The source code of HAL? I think that would take even more time, dont you think so?

I've been looking all over the place and I havent found a good reference for the HAL policies. Once I finish configuring my openbox system I'll start writing a reference for the policies.

#4 2010-01-26 10:17:43

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

FerBenzaa wrote:

The source code of HAL? I think that would take even more time, dont you think so?

I've been looking all over the place and I havent found a good reference for the HAL policies. Once I finish configuring my openbox system I'll start writing a reference for the policies.

well if you're looking for a complete reference, that's the place to find it. but if I were you I wouldn't bother, HAL will probably disappear within a year from now. maybe it's a good time to get acquainted with udev?

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#5 2010-01-26 14:40:27

FerBenzaa

And what is the difference between HAL and udev?

I thought udev depended on HAL.

#6 2010-01-26 15:48:40

Zuranox

#7 2010-01-26 16:11:44

Primoz

I recommend you that if everything is working properly with HAL, you just live it as is and wait until it gets completely replaced by udev.
For now I think HAL is still needed to manage devices etc...
If you checked out the udev article that was provided you'd see that their /etc/udev/udev.conf is different from what is probably on your Arch (at least it's different then my).
I don't know if there is any way to automatically configure udev.conf or do you have to add things your self.
So I'd say the best way is to wait until Arch makes complete transition to udev only. (that's what I'll do)

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#8 2010-02-25 03:17:49

vesz

I realize this is an old thread. However, you can see all synaptics options by running: synclient -l

For other devices, I have no idea smile

Board footer