You are not logged in.

#26 2010-01-22 19:42:00

hw-tph

Re: Build an Arch optimized computer

That's a lot of talk for little real world performance increase.

Get an Intel X25-E SSD and use as your system disk. You can get a regular hard drive (or slower SSD) for /home, but the X25-E really makes any system pretty much several times more responsive.

#27 2010-01-22 19:49:13

anonymous_user

jerik wrote:

How about "Cooler Master Real Power M620, 620W PSU"?

The Real Power series should be good.

Last edited by anonymous_user (2010-01-22 19:49:33)

#28 2010-01-22 20:03:49

jerik

hw-tph wrote:

That's a lot of talk for little real world performance increase.

Get an Intel X25-E SSD and use as your system disk. You can get a regular hard drive (or slower SSD) for /home, but the X25-E really makes any system pretty much several times more responsive.

But, isn't that for laptops? Since it's 2.5"?

Last edited by jerik (2010-01-22 20:05:03)

#29 2010-01-22 20:26:16

anonymous_user

You can use them in desktops too. You'll just need an adapter so it fits in the 3.5" internal bays.

#30 2010-01-22 20:27:59

jerik

I see tongue

#31 2010-01-23 22:17:12

GentleGiant

ew nvidia, the true enemy of your freedom. i'd rather get and ati card than that proprietary crap.

good thing amd bought out ati, amd has a supportive stance on free drivers and software, nvidia on the other hand /shudders

Last edited by GentleGiant (2010-01-23 22:18:32)

#32 2010-01-23 22:20:51

GentleGiant

also stay away from cooler master, unless you want to light your house on fire. I'd personally go with corsair, their psu's are bullet proof.

western digital is a great hdd choice, don't touch seagate or toshiba!

#33 2010-01-23 22:30:36

anonymous_user

I think only some of Cooler Master PSU's are bad. For example CM's eXtreme Power = bad, but Real Power = good

Nonetheless I prefer Corsair PSUs too smile

Last edited by anonymous_user (2010-01-23 22:31:10)

#34 2010-01-23 23:01:06

zodmaner

GentleGiant wrote:

ew nvidia, the true enemy of your freedom. i'd rather get and ati card than that proprietary crap.

good thing amd bought out ati, amd has a supportive stance on free drivers and software, nvidia on the other hand /shudders

Proprietary or not, the fact of the matter is Nvidia card currently works much, much better on Linux then Ati.

So, until Ati open/close source driver for Linux mature enough, there is no reason why one should choose Ati over Nvidia when buying a new graphic card (maybe in the future, but definitely not now).

Last edited by zodmaner (2010-01-23 23:01:44)

#35 2010-01-23 23:15:23

quarkup
Website

Actually im using a nvidia card.
It's great and IMO it has more support on linux than on windows.

Although it had some problems displaying the framebuffer correctly (which is a problem related specifically to this card and a kernel version/driver version).

In my opinion:  nvidia has great performance and its simple to use.. I would stick to a nvidia because i know it works fine.

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

#36 2010-01-26 02:51:37

jowilkin

GentleGiant wrote:

You mean the freedom to waste a bunch of time trying to get the ATI card to work correctly?  Or some other kind of freedom?

Nvidia driver works and is free.  You can't look at the source code for it, but you don't need to.....because it actually works.

#37 2010-01-26 06:14:42

unideal

jowilkin wrote:
GentleGiant wrote:

You mean the freedom to waste a bunch of time trying to get the ATI card to work correctly?  Or some other kind of freedom?

Nvidia driver works and is free.  You can't look at the source code for it, but you don't need to.....because it actually works.

It works now, but what if it doesn't work in the future? Something like removing HAL breaks the whole driver and nvidia isn't interested in fixing it? Nvidia stops supporting linux because it's not so popular platform? This is unlikely to happen, but is exactly what most people are afraid of with closed drivers. If nvidia decides to do something, it's not on your own hands. However, for the average user, I'd still say that if you need performance, nvidia is the best choice. If you don't need that much graphics, I'd look into Intel GPU's.

#38 2010-01-26 13:36:41

mythus
Website

Hmmm... I actually prefer AMD processors over Intel. Sure intel can go faster, but for my needs, and for the OP's needs, an i7 and even an i5 are overkill in both performance and price when he could get a phenom II x4 at newegg.com for USD$160.00 and have a perfectly fine and capable computer for his needs. Why go out and buy the absolute powerhouse when a more economic processor more than meets his needs? Remember, he wants to do mainly video editing and DTP ( I do a lot of DTP myself and an AMD Athlon II is more than capable for me).

Nvidia is a good video card to go with, you are almost guaranteed that they will work in your linux box. For you I would probably suggest a good mid range like the Geforce 8800 series or maybe the 9600 series. Both have DTV support and should be fine for video editing and more than fine for DTP, while not breaking the bank.

Is Seagate really such a bad hard drive? I take it that who said to stay away from them had gotten a lemon, which can happen really with any hard drive brand. My seagate is 9 years old now and still running strong. In fact I hate that when I go to build my new pc in a month or so that I'll have to replace it must because it's an IDE HD and the new boards have phased them out for SATA devices. Sure, IDE is slower and all, but my seagate and maxtor HD's have been rock solid.

To the OP, take care of the advice you listen to. There seems to be a lot of FUD going on about staying away from AMD (just because the responder happens to love the i7 and thinks that everyone should shell out tons of money for it) to staying away from certain hard drive brands without any listed reason and proof to back it up. If I were you, I'd go and do my homework first. Search newegg.com for example, you can review their products, reviews, etc. Then also look up the particular brand on Google to find more reviews. Only after doing your homework can you come up with a system that is best for your needs and budget.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#39 2010-01-26 16:10:23

anonymous_user

If she/he does video editing wouldn't that favor the faster i5/i7?

Board footer