You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-25 17:00:31

toad
Website

REQUEST: kde has kdemod - openbox has... openmod???

I've got an ancient laptop and would like arch with openbox on it. At the mo I've got xfce, it being dead easy to install - openbox is quite different... Getting a panel to look like I want takes... I don't know, it still looks shit tongue

Sooo, I'd like to request something along the lines of crunchbang linux (built on ubuntu, uses fluxbox) based on arch. I reckon crunchbang has a pretty sane setup with conky listing basic keybindings - just the ticket for a time strapped archer spoilt by sufficient hardware to run DEs smile

Last edited by toad (2010-01-25 20:23:29)

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#2 2010-01-25 17:30:43

fileunderwater

Re: REQUEST: kde has kdemod - openbox has... openmod???

I dont get your question. Are you asking for a separate prebuilt Arch-like distro using openbox, when Arch is already supporting openbox? I'm a Linux and Arch newcomer, but Im still running openbox on both my machines without any problems. Sure, there are more customizing that I could do to get openbox to do everything I want, but all in due time. For arch to produce a separate dist just for ease of visual customization sounds like a waste of resources.

#3 2010-01-25 17:47:04

Krause

Install Arch
Install Openbox

You're proposing a solution for a non-existent problem.

#4 2010-01-25 17:58:36

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@fileunderwater and jewdozer
You've both misunderstood toad. He wants someone to create an entire distribution based on Arch and Openbox so that he can get a nice panel in Openbox.

That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Btw, I would like something to drink from the kitchen. Could someone please invent, build and send me a fully working humanoid robot that could go to the kitchen and get me something?

Also, maybe I'm reading it the wrong way, but naming yourself "jewdozer" and using a German flag as your avatar seems completely inappropriate for this forum, to me at least.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#5 2010-01-25 18:01:05

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Xyne wrote:

..Btw, I would like something to drink from the kitchen. Could someone please invent, build and send me a fully working humanoid robot that could go to the kitchen and get me something?

I've been wanting to build one since I was a boy.
It's just so damned involved. I mean, it's really, really involved. Honda builds a nice one, though.

#6 2010-01-25 18:05:45

toad
Website

Yeah, I thought I'd get replies like that...

I'm after a preconfigured openbox, not vanilla! Something along the lines of kdemod. Get it?

EDIT - typos.

Last edited by toad (2010-01-25 18:06:25)

never trust a toad...

#7 2010-01-25 18:10:45

toad
Website

Oops, Xyne and misfit got in there before me - YOUR replies I like though wink

never trust a toad...

#8 2010-01-25 18:14:27

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

toad wrote:

Yeah, I thought I'd get replies like that...

I'm after a preconfigured openbox, not vanilla! Something along the lines of kdemod. Get it?

Steal what Crunchbang has? After all, they did the work... Might as well use it.

Or how about strolling through the Openbox thread and try all the configs you like there, and combine them?

That's how I put my Openbox themes together.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#9 2010-01-25 18:19:45

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Misfit138 wrote:

I've been wanting to build one since I was a boy.
It's just so damned involved. I mean, it's really, really involved. Honda builds a nice one, though.

Perhaps you should consider a less involved alternative. wink

B wrote:

Or how about strolling through the Openbox thread and try all the configs you like there, and combine them?

Throw in a bolt of lightening and presto! FRANKENBOX!

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#10 2010-01-25 18:37:07

toad
Website

Seems like you lot are determined to get this thread closed.

But Frankenbox has a cool ring to it...

never trust a toad...

#11 2010-01-25 18:43:41

anonymous_user

B has a good idea: use CrunchBang's config.

Or if you don't like that, then you'd have to tell us how you'd like your panel. Theres lots of panels you can choose from like tint2, xfce4-panel, cbpanel (check AUR), bmpanel etc and even more ways of configuring them.

#12 2010-01-25 19:03:44

toad
Website

Thanks anomymous,

B's idea is good - so good in fact that I downloaded the crunchbang iso, mounted it and nicked their /etc/skel/.config/openbox yesterday. Those were my very first attempts at openbox... Now I know I've got to get a few more things like .conkyrc and also list and install their software for everything to work smoothly.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get things working sooner or later but arch being "famous" for its openbox following I just thought their might be some resonance to the idea of an openbox_mod version.

Oh heck, just an idea.

never trust a toad...

#13 2010-01-25 19:08:37

fileunderwater

toad wrote:

Thanks anomymous,

B's idea is good - so good in fact that I downloaded the crunchbang iso, mounted it and nicked their /etc/skel/.config/openbox yesterday. Those were my very first attempts at openbox... Now I know I've got to get a few more things like .conkyrc and also list and install their software for everything to work smoothly.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get things working sooner or later but arch being "famous" for its openbox following I just thought their might be some resonance to the idea of an openbox_mod version.

Oh heck, just an idea.

I'm all for sharing config files and better documentation on how to set up different panels (I'm using fbpanel), but your original suggestion (separate distro) just sounded like overkill.

Last edited by fileunderwater (2010-01-25 19:09:07)

#14 2010-01-25 20:06:44

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

Hmm... while I agree with what many are saying that a preconfigured distro would be overkill.... I am known for my OB desktops, and I find the idea intriguing. Toad, I just might try to come up with something.

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#15 2010-01-25 20:28:52

toad
Website

Ghost,

that'd be great! Also, I've renamed this thread according to the way this is going...

Also, I've just tried to mount the crunchbang squashfs (based on 09.04) but realized that arch has had a kernel update to ...32.5 - now I can't do it anymore sad

Looking forward to what you're cooking up smile

never trust a toad...

#16 2010-01-25 21:42:25

hw-tph

Toad, check weakhead's posts in the screenshot threads. He's nice enough to package his configs in one pack, if I remember correctly. I use his bmpanel theme and I am very pleased with my little Eee PC running Openbox (with bmpanel2-git, xcompmgr for some subtle drop shadows and pretty much nothing else).

#17 2010-01-26 18:27:06

toad
Website

Thanks hw-tph,

as if by magic willxtreme came up with this today http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 65#p695765 - an arch distro with openbox smile You lot ARE quick.

Btw, I would like something to drink from the kitchen. Could someone please invent, build and send me a fully working humanoid robot that could go to the kitchen and get me something?

There is still hope for you yet although I am not sure your request is reasonable wink

I am still most interested in ghost's openbox files - and how are you going to package them? In AUR incl. dependencies? Just goading you on, I'm afraid... But seriously, roll 'em out!

Last edited by toad (2010-01-26 19:23:30)

never trust a toad...

#18 2010-01-26 18:58:34

hw-tph

Why don't we just set up a repository of some sort for this? subversion? git? That would make it awfully easy to try out different configs.

#19 2010-01-26 20:34:49

linkmaster03

A pre-configured Openbox environment, hmm... sounds like LXDE to me.

Board footer