You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-26 19:36:13

Wunderkind

issue re: netcfg

So, I've been using Arch for 26 days now- 26 days of linux colored bliss (compared to Debian, at least) but with one issue.

That issue goes by the name of netcfg which for over three weeks has worked impeccably. I set up my profile and every boot since I've had it work as the linux gods intended.

Sadly, however, an issue has created itself. Where before I could "sudo netcfg 'profile'", followed by "sudo dhcpcd" and have my wireless connection up and running, nowadays (for the past three days) I'm forced to "sudo netcfg 'profile'" twice, with the first occasion eliciting the error message "Wireless Association Failed". The second attempt is always successful. I checked the wiki but nothing suggested there appears to work.

Does anyone have any idea how I can resolve the issue. It's only a minor problem but I find it odd that it's sudden arisen.

Thanks.

Also, if anyone could provide with me help as to how I might auto-dhcpcd or properly set up wireless connection on start-up, that would also be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 2010-01-26 19:51:03

Cyrusm

Re: issue re: netcfg

I believe you'll find the answers here http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netcfg

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#3 2010-01-26 23:33:09

n0dix

Take from the wiki:

This will tell netcfg to use dhclient instead of dhcpcd(witch netcfg uses by default)
If you get "Wireless Network Not Found" or "Association Failed" and have tried the above, try:
SCAN=no

#4 2010-01-27 01:02:25

Profjim

n0dix probably meant to include:

DHCLIENT=yes

but forgot to. Instead of switching to dhclient, you could instead try increasing the DHCP timeout. Off the top of my head, I think you'd tell netcfg to do that by including this in the relevant profile:

DHCP_TIMEOUT=30

#5 2010-01-27 01:06:20

n0dix

@Profjim
The DHCLIENT and DHCP_TIMEOUT going without doble quotes, in the profiles they appear with double quotes?
Here my profile:

CONNECTION="ethernet-iproute"
DESCRIPTION="A basic dhcp ethernet connection using iproute"
INTERFACE="eth0"
IP="dhcp"

A personal question, if a have a wired conection through a switche and the a router the configuration my profile above works?

*** EDIT ***
In my case it is not the same, if you add the double quotes doesn't work.

Last edited by n0dix (2010-01-27 03:38:19)

#6 2010-01-27 01:09:19

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

I find that netcfg-2.5.0rc2 from the Testing repository works better for me than netcfg-2.2.1 from Core. I don't believe there've been any conflicts with my otherwise stock system, which is built from non-testing repositories.

Others may have different experiences, however.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

Board footer