You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-26 16:33:19

ravster
Website

Arch install from hard disk(without boot-cd)

I was refering to this page to install Arch from the 0.7 base.iso without writing the ISO file to a cd. I use grub-0.94 and placed the following lines in 'menu.1st':

title archcd
root (hd0,7)
kernel /isolinux/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 BOOTMEDIA=cd
initrd /isolinux/initrd.img

I formatted /dev/hda7 as a 250 MB partition with ext2, which grub correctly identified(I had some problems with this, but Pechorin helped me out), and then used the 'dd' command to copy the iso to this partition.
  But on booting, grub identifies the partition correctly but does not seem to be able to find any files on the partition(I went into the command line since selecting from the menu did not work, but it still gives the same error)

Error 15: File/Directory not found

#2 2005-02-26 17:18:09

SG-3

Re: Arch install from hard disk(without boot-cd)

Does Kernel boot ..... looking at hd(0,7) ?? > hda7 ??

"just below me"

#3 2005-02-28 03:33:51

skoal
Website

I've never tried this before, and I only briefly read that Arch wiki you mention.  However, why can't you just use the "loop" device to mount the .iso file and run it from there?

mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop /path/wombat(?).iso /mnt/cdrom

Then, install from `/mnt/cdrom` as if it were a CD.  I don't understand the necessity for all that other stuff.  I mount .iso files all the time using the loop device.  It's only when I need to modify the .iso itself will I copy the .iso contents to a temp directory (or partition).  I don't see why you would need to modify the .iso contents, since it's just emulating a CD anyway.

#4 2005-02-28 16:51:42

ravster
Website

Thanks for the replies.
I tried using '/dev/discs/disc0/part8' instead of '/dev/hda7' (Thanks, I hadn't thought of devfs yikes ) but it still did not work; I think grub has to find the kernel first before it can do anything like this.

As for the mount-in-loop thing, I tried that, but all it gives is 3 dirs; 'addons, arch, isolinux'. How do I start the installation program? I can't find any command or anything to do that. :oops:
Thanks,
ravster

#5 2005-02-28 17:50:07

lucke

Isn't there a setup executable in arch directory? I don't have any arch's iso around to check.

ps. You could also use archbootstrap for instalation, if you have any running linux installation, normal or live. But I guess it's easier now for you to install packages from the cd instead of dowloading them once again from the net :-)

#6 2005-02-28 20:43:25

ravster
Website

no, there's no such thing in the iso. The /arch/setup installer thingy seems to be made up on booting the install cd. It isn't there as a part of the iso itself.

Thanks for the archbootstrap tip. It seems I might have to use that. I've got a system up and working, but I still want to try this thing out, just for kicks. Thanks for the replies so far.
It never hurt to learn something new.

ravster.

#7 2005-02-28 21:09:10

z4ziggy
Website

u can use the arch-bootstrap, or instead of dumping your iso into a partition (i think this doesnt work because startup scripts are looking for boot-cdrom... but i might be mistaken) u can try mounting the iso as loop device, chroot there, mount /proc,/sys,/dev, and try to execute the install scripts. i did it a year ago, cant remeber exactly the steps i followed... sorry  :oops:

#8 2005-03-05 20:18:01

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Isn't (hd0,7) hda8? and (hd0,0) hda1?

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#9 2005-03-06 15:11:28

ravster
Website

hmm...
You're right, I should check that smile
This could be so embarrasing :oops: wink

Board footer