You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-21 07:03:55

STiAT

Question about conflicts

Is there any possibility to solve conflicts in any way?

Like if something conflicts on a file like opt/kde/share/services/pnm.protocol, it would often be prefered if the file just isn't copied. Even though, i could delete this file IF it was possible before the conflict check (which seems not to be possible by the install scripts).

Any way to ignore files? Or to force replacement?

I've set a conflict with the other package now... even though, not really necessary in my eyes.

Lg,
STi

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

#2 2005-01-21 18:20:40

sarah31
Website

Re: Question about conflicts

well about the only thing i can see working is maybe using the provides=() array. Mind you you would have to change all of the packages that have this similar file to also have this in their provides array.

I have never used the provides array myself as it came around well after I quit as a package maintainer. Once I quit I basically stopped making packages except the odd small package for myself.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2005-02-27 01:04:52

puntmuts

I have the same situation here with a local package for kvirc. It has a conflict with the kde default config file  opt/kde/share/services/irc.protocol .

In the wiki document I couldn't find a solution for it, but the man makepkg shows a pre_install and pre_upgrade option. That should be the moment to rename or move the original file so the package can be installed without conflicts.  This could be undone when removing the package using post_remove in the install script.
For my personal use that should be sufficient although not a 100% solution.

I didn't test this yet, this is my first week on archlinux, so I could be terribly wrong big_smile

Out / Gone
Mirgrating all my machines off ArchLinux . No longer part of the ArchLinux community / users .
Done. Goodbye.

#4 2005-02-27 12:37:44

sarah31
Website

you always have to be wary of using the pre/post install script for a purpose such as you suggest. If anothe rpackage you use requires the conflicting file then you could screw yourself up. Find out which package is using the conflicting file and if it is an essential file or one which may be a commonly installed tracker file for a certain type of software (for example perl has a few common tracker files that are part of the perl installation system but are unnecessary in the final arh packages for those perl applications)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2005-02-28 12:54:25

STiAT

Íf you dont want to conflict with any package - remove it from the kvirc installation (my suggestion).

Otherwhise put conflicts in your pkgbuild, for each package wich has irc.protocol specified.

You also could remove the file, with a .protocol file it wouldn't have too much bad effect. Remember: if the user doesn't like kvirc, he'll have to re-install the application he wants for having the irc protocol specified in kde again. I've removed the .protocol in my kvirc pkgbuild ... and i'm quite fine about this.

The provides=() array is quite fine to use, but how to change all other packages for ARCH users providing the irc.protocol file ... since you can't release the packages to them, as you are no official package maintainer. May the new abs will bring some better solution for this to us (easier maintaining? that's at least what i've read).

Currently, i'm using konversation-cvs, which seems to become a very good irc-client for kde.

I also couldn't see a real solution for this.

// STi

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

Board footer