You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-01 07:59:10

Deuterium

boot fails after using archiso

Hello all,

I am about to switch computers, and so i decided i would try to use archiso to make a bootable cd to install Arch on the new pc.  I followed the wiki, but when i got down to the 'make all' part it got part way through, and then started reporting 'sed: command not found' (i have sed installed), and then started complaining about some directory not found in the 'work' (should be made automatically right?).

Anyways, i tried it again later but then it had issues saying 'read-only filesystem', Ive got this error a few times, and normally i reboot, the filesystem checking complains, and i have to run 'fsck' and say yes to all the errors (to allow fsck to fix them).  Then after rebooting it works fine.  This time is different though, i get a whole lot more errors, and the kernel panics (Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!) followed by a short call trace.  Also, the caps-lock light flashes.. and the system stops, needing a hard reboot.

I dont have much experience in this area, and would really like some help! Take pity, I am reduced to using windows because it wont boot o.O

So if someone knows what i should do (though i dont really have any opportunity to type in commands) I would be very grateful smile

Im not sure if this should be in this forum but i wasnt sure were else to put it, feel free to move it.

PS. I run ext4 on my root partition, probably a bad idea, but once my system started having errors, i didnt/dont know how to convert to ext3.. sad
reiserfs on /var partition, ext3 on /boot

Last edited by Deuterium (2010-02-01 08:01:09)

#2 2010-02-01 13:16:56

Deuterium

Re: boot fails after using archiso

Although I cannot test it right now, I think one possible solution would be boot up another live Linux distro and...? Perhaps use fsck then?  Any one want to build on that? I'll try it out asap.

#3 2010-02-02 10:24:18

Deuterium

Re: boot fails after using archiso

Okay, I can boot a live cd, i currently only have Backtrack available (a friend borrowed my other cd's).  I can access my other partitions (sda1-3) but not so with sda4 (the corrupted partition in question).

However running 'fsck /dev/sda4' (fsck version 1.38) keeps complaining about 'e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda4'.

My guess is that fsck is thinking sda4 is an ext2 filesystem but i cant seem to change it.. also, it may be that fsck is too old and i need a newer version, but i have googled and cant seem to find the place to get it! sad

If someone could perhaps post a link? also, i dont know what kind of package backtrack requires ...unless i have to build it from source... sad

Any help? Thanks

Board footer