You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-29 03:59:10

xelados
Website

Fan and Resume won't work on Samsung NC10

First off, resuming. I read through the pm-utils wiki page and managed to get hibernating working AOK. Suspending works, too, but for some reason I cannot bring the NC10 back. I took a look through /etc/acpi/handler.sh and noticed it didn't have anything regarding resume... Is there something I should add to it? Here's a quick paste:

#!/bin/sh
# Default acpi script that takes an entry for all actions

# NOTE: This is a 2.6-centric script.  If you use 2.4.x, you'll have to
#       modify it to not use /sys

minspeed=`cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_min_freq`
maxspeed=`cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq`
setspeed="/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed"

set $*

case "$1" in
    button/power)
        #echo "PowerButton pressed!">/dev/tty5
        case "$2" in
            PWRF)   logger "PowerButton pressed: $2" ;
                    /usr/sbin/pm-hibernate;;
            *)      logger "ACPI action undefined: $2" ;;
        esac
        ;;
    button/sleep)
        case "$2" in
            SLPB)   #echo -n mem >/sys/power/state ;;
                    /usr/sbin/pm-suspend;;
            *)      logger "ACPI action undefined: $2" ;;
        esac
        ;;
    ac_adapter)
        case "$2" in
            AC)
                case "$4" in
                    00000000)
                        echo -n $minspeed >$setspeed
                        #/etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode start
                    ;;
                    00000001)
                        echo -n $maxspeed >$setspeed
                        #/etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode stop
                    ;;
                esac
                ;;
            *)  logger "ACPI action undefined: $2" ;;
        esac
        ;;
    battery)
        case "$2" in
            BAT0|BAT1)
                case "$4" in
                    00000000)   #echo "offline" >/dev/tty5
                    ;;
                    00000001)   #echo "online"  >/dev/tty5
                    ;;
                esac
                ;;
            CPU0)
                ;;
            *)  logger "ACPI action undefined: $2" ;;
        esac
        ;;
    button/lid)
        if [[ `cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state | awk '{print $2}'` = "closed" ]]
        then
            /usr/sbin/pm-suspend
        fi
            echo "LID switched!">/dev/tty5
        ;;
    processor)
        case "$2" in
            CPU0)
            #echo cpu event
            ;;
        esac
        ;;
    *)
        logger "ACPI group/action undefined: $1 / $2"
        ;;
esac

I've also enabled the "resume" hook in the kernel and added my user to the "power" group. I'm not sure what I need to do to get resume to work properly.

Next, the fan. `yacpi` tells me FAN0 is off, but when I put my ear up to the vents on the side of the NC10, I hear a low whirring, like a fan. So it seems like it _is_ blowing, but not very strongly. What can I do to get control over the fan?

Last edited by xelados (2009-08-29 04:20:40)

#2 2009-09-01 15:19:14

xelados
Website

Re: Fan and Resume won't work on Samsung NC10

I've done a little research to see if I could try various pm-suspend quirks to get this going. I could use a little help in figuring things out... So far I've used the following quirk combinations and they have not worked:

--quirk-dpms-on --quirk-vbestate-restore
--quirk-dpms-on --quirk-vbemode-restore
--quirk-dpms-on --quirk-vbestate-restore --quirk-s3-bios

I've noticed that handler.sh doesn't have anything for resume or thaw... could this be why resume isn't working properly, or is that included somewhere in the pm-suspend program? It'd be great if we could figure this out so we could make a good wiki page for the Samsung NC10.

#3 2009-09-01 18:10:53

lswest
Website

Hey Xelados,

After you suspend, and reboot (since it won't resume), does your /var/log/pm-suspend.log file enter the resume hook?  My N110 doesn't do that, and I am lacking a resume hook in the handler.sh file (but I did add it to my mkinitcpio.conf file, to no avail).  My log ends after "Suspend successful", even though it will start up partially again after I hit the power button.

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#4 2009-09-01 18:32:56

xelados
Website

Hello again lswest. You're still having problems too, eh?

The last line in /var/log/pm-suspend.log is "<timestamp> performing suspend". Nothing about resuming is anywhere in the log. When I hit the power button to wake it up, the HDD LED stays lit for about 2 seconds, then turns off. The screen is totally off, too, and it doesn't respond to anything except a hard shutdown.

#5 2009-09-01 19:39:38

lswest
Website

Exactly the same for me.  I've seen a few other people on here with pm-suspend logs from (I believe) an NC10 where it says "Awake Signal received" and continues on about halfway through the resume hook, but I don't know what is different for them than for us.  Honestly, I'm not sure how to add a resume hook (heck, not even sure what file I would want to add that to, let alone what I need to put in it).  I'll have a look for the thread I'm thinkin of later (once I have the time to sit down and hunt), to see if I can contact the author to find out if their handler.sh file (or the hal file, or pm-utils configs) are different for them.  Also, I'll try Jolicloud again (since it did suspend and resume for me without trouble), and check the log to see if the resume hook exists there, and figure out where it is.  Might take a day or two for me to find the time though.  If you want to hunt for that too, feel free.

And yes, still got a few problems tongue the lid action has disappeared, not to mention laptop-mode is no longer doing anything on state change, but I'll fix that later.  I do get a good 5.5 hours now, so I can't really complain.

Hope that helps,
Lswest

"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#6 2009-09-02 08:25:41

xelados
Website

5.5 hours? Wow. How did you do that? I've tried to cut my voltage down as much as I can, and I'm still at 12.5. I've added stuff to my kernel line and echo'd things to files as per `powertop`, but it doesn't seem to help anything. I only get 4.5 hours out of my NC10 and I know it's capable of around 6 hours. I'm thinking about learning more about the kernel and rolling my own. That would be the best way to cut down battery usage, no?

#7 2009-09-02 16:05:35

lswest
Website

Well, the N110 has a bit more charge on the battery (I think it results in about 30 extra minutes), but all I've done to reduce power usage was to write a script that enables autosuspend on my bluetooth and webcam, a script that disables the bluetooth daemon and unloads the modules, enabled laptop-mode (which isn't working atm), reduced backlight, disabled harddrive power-saving, and a few other things that I found on lesswatts.org (not sure which anymore exactly).  I'm at 10.3W (it doesn't seem to go past 11W).  In case you want any of the scripts I mentioned, they're in my github.

The only thing I'd say would be useful kernel-wise would be a tickless/server kernel to reduce rescheduling interrupts, but that's all.

Hope that helps,
Lswest

Also, if I think of anything else I did to lower power consumption, I'll post it here/email you.

Oh, and one more thing.  The echo suggestions from powertop only work as long as the system is running, so if you want to keep it permanently, write a quick script to do it and add it to rc.local (or just add the commands to rc.local) so they're executed every time the system starts.

Last edited by lswest (2009-09-02 16:07:39)

#8 2009-10-05 13:19:46

john_schaf

I can get 6 hours from my NC10 when :

- wifi is turned off (module unloaded)
- usb and bluetooth is turned off (modules unloaded)
- disabling dri in xorg.conf (which triggers interrupts)

This consumes about 8-9 watts.
Using wifi adds an extra watt, but I can still use it for 5.5 hours or so.

cheers.

PS: kernel is stock Arch kernel 2.6.30, and hints from the nc10 wiki page

Last edited by john_schaf (2009-10-05 13:22:08)

#9 2010-01-11 17:33:30

xelados
Website

I believe I've made somewhat of a hint of progress. Tried again with installing Arch on the NC10, figuring that the kernel's advanced some, so why not?

acpi_listen detected the lid raising event (which is probably just what we need to get resume to work)

button/lid LID0 00000080 00000001
button/lid LID0 00000080 00000002

#1 is the lid closing event, and #2 is the lid opening. What can we do with this information? I noticed in handler.sh that the AC adapter state has the $4 field being checked... is there no command that can be used to cease suspend?

Last edited by xelados (2010-01-11 17:43:52)

#10 2010-01-13 14:48:44

joephantom
Website

xelados wrote:

I've done a little research to see if I could try various pm-suspend quirks to get this going. I could use a little help in figuring things out... So far I've used the following quirk combinations and they have not worked:

--quirk-dpms-on --quirk-vbestate-restore
--quirk-dpms-on --quirk-vbemode-restore
--quirk-dpms-on --quirk-vbestate-restore --quirk-s3-bios

I've noticed that handler.sh doesn't have anything for resume or thaw... could this be why resume isn't working properly, or is that included somewhere in the pm-suspend program? It'd be great if we could figure this out so we could make a good wiki page for the Samsung NC10.

Did you manage to resolve the problem with the fan? I have the same problem on my samsung NC10

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible. Those who have cautiously done no more than they believed possible have never taken a single step forward - Mikhail Bakunin

#11 2010-02-02 12:46:02

xelados
Website

No, I still haven't figured out how to get control of the fan. The right side of my NC10 gets rather warm as a result; I'm not sure which piece of hardware is there, but I do get a little concerned about it sometimes.

Board footer