You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-27 13:09:10

Moo-Crumpus

Please use better topics!

The more arch is growing and in the papers, the more nerdy noobish postings fill the forum. It is utterly exhausting to read cruddy topics like "install" (wtf ....) or "Argh! Hidden files!" (have someone been beaten? >>Attack of hidden files, Full colored movie, now in 3d!<<), "mysql help" (is help needed or offered?)....  :x

I am not reading that stuff at all. Maybe I could offer some help here and there, but if I have to mine for subjects, I leave it undone.

Please, consider to use "speaking" topics.

Kind regards.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#2 2005-02-27 14:21:39

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Please use better topics!

When I was a moderator at Vector Linux, which welcomes "noobs", this was my biggest pet hate and what ultimately caused me to move away.  I was sick to death of being confronted with posts called things like:

n00b needs help
sound doesn't work
help!!

i just which you could train good forum ettiqutte rather than having to wait till they learn.

I put stickies all over saying make you post tile relevant to your issue but the thing with n00bs is they don't read stickies!  They don't read anything!

And their sole excuse is "Sorry, I'm new!" &*?#!

#3 2005-02-27 16:38:45

Gullible Jones

Sorry... :oops: I'll have to try harder to make my posts clear.

#4 2005-02-27 17:31:26

sarah31
Website

The other fairly common n00b and sometimes veteran with bad ettiquette is to revive old threads because they have the same issue and could not find a solution. It is particularly annoying when it is a very long thread.

Oh and Old stickies, massive threads and polls are other pet peeves. Once a post gets much past 2 or three pages I will usually duck out even if it was interesting at some point.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2005-02-28 16:57:01

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

sarah31 wrote:

The other fairly common n00b and sometimes veteran with bad ettiquette is to revive old threads because they have the same issue and could not find a solution. It is particularly annoying when it is a very long thread.

Oh and Old stickies, massive threads and polls are other pet peeves. Once a post gets much past 2 or three pages I will usually duck out even if it was interesting at some point.

pfft, I think reviving old threads is a good thing, it shows gusto, and a minor ability to hit the search button before pandering

#6 2005-02-28 18:43:48

sarah31
Website

Sure they search but they also could have tried upgrading as many times they are reviving fixed and closed bug topics.  Thankfully it does not happen too much here but it annoys me on any forum.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2005-02-28 19:03:39

kill

The mods should Just delete any post that is either a blatent repeat or that has an ambigious title then send a pm to the user who started the thread saying "Search before you post".

#8 2005-02-28 19:14:46

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

That's more work for us (the moderators). For one thing, we can't remember all the posts from the past and what is a duplicate post!

Any posts to the Newbie Forum are pretty much anything goes. Its meant as a safe place for new people to post without some arrogant guru telling him to STFW or STFF or RTFM or POST WITH A DECENT SUBJECT.  Its not just for people new to arch or to Linux, its also good for people new to forum software (ie: who haven't learned the general forum etiquette) and also new to our rather peculiar commuity (and our local etiquette).

Posts outside the Newbie Corner that do not conform to the etiquette are generally organized or split later on. There is no way to insist that people use the proper etiquette without turning a lot of new users off both Arch and the AL forums; the nazi attitude just doesn't suit the friendly open spirit of Arch.

We do move, delete, rename, and split topics in the background, generally after the topic has died out or been solved so as not to confuse the users involved in the topic.

Any users that do not like 'proper' topic subjects are welcome to ignore them. I would do so if I didn't have the responsibility to edit the topic post. Also, I'd advise avoiding the Newbie Corner (in all honesty, I generally do).

Dusty

#9 2005-02-28 19:20:08

Moo-Crumpus

kill wrote:

The mods should Just delete any post that is either a blatent repeat or that has an ambigious title then send a pm to the user who started the thread saying "Search before you post".

I don't think so.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

Board footer