You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-05 00:55:33

Avenger

[solved] KDE 4.4: Wallpapers not working.

I just updated testing and it installed KDE 4.3.98, however now I cannot use wallpapers on my desktop, if I choose wallpaper in the desktop appearance window, there's no options to pick what image to display or anything, just the drop down telling the type of background.

The same is also the case for the slideshow and weather backgrounds. I've got 'kdeplasma-addons-wallpapers-weather' installed, but could not find any package relating to wallpaper or slideshow.

I did update Qt and phonon correctly before the upgrade, but for some reason I had to manually update "kdepim-akonadiconsole" due to dependency-issues, but I doubt it's related.

I tried to look in .xsession-errors when using the desktop activity settings window, but I couldn't see any errors appear and if I click apply in the dialog, the background just goes white, no errors or anything.

Last edited by Avenger (2010-02-05 13:51:36)

#2 2010-02-05 02:55:27

wrc1944

Re: [solved] KDE 4.4: Wallpapers not working.

I'm also running Arch testing, and have a similar issue. 

My 4.3.98 install is lacking many packages, including major stuff like konqueror, dolphin, konsole, etc, while having other things like System Monitor.  I guess the testing repo is incomplete as of Feb4, and will have the rest of RC3 shortly, or maybe just wait until 4.4 final?  I know for a fact RC3 is complete, as I'm running full packages of it on 2 Gentoo installations,  and one Mandriva.

Any feedback on this from testing repo maintainers?

Last edited by wrc1944 (2010-02-05 13:10:09)

#3 2010-02-05 13:51:19

Avenger

I got it to work, it appears that pacman did not install all new deps of the kde-packages when I upgraded. I first noticed this when dolphin was missing libattica

After I did a pacman -S kde, it grabbed some new packages and everything seems to be working.

#4 2010-02-05 19:14:31

wrc1944

Yes- I just did pacman -S kde, and got everything with no problems.  RC3 is really nice and finely polished (finally!) smile

I like the way Arch (or is it now just the kde defaults according to auto-hardware detection?) has just the right amount of desktop effects enabled.

I knew there was a warning about using the testing repo, but I've experienced no problems.  Is that warning no longer in effect?

#5 2010-02-09 15:37:08

Blue Peppers

wrc1944 wrote:

I like the way Arch (or is it now just the kde defaults according to auto-hardware detection?) has just the right amount of desktop effects enabled.

Iirc, arch tries to use vanilla (default) settings, and only patches stuff if it would cause major problems not to.

wrc1944 wrote:

I knew there was a warning about using the testing repo, but I've experienced no problems.  Is that warning no longer in effect?

Ha! I too have experienced no (major) problems, but I still read arch-dev-public and watch out for any messages on updates smile

Consistency is not a virtue.

Board footer