You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-17 08:09:42

sajko

Mplayer and Thunderbird only outputs Bus Error

Hi guys smile

I have a "small" issue. I reinstalled my Arch the other day and when I tried to start mplayer and thunderbird they both just generate an error.

root@fredrik:/home/fredrik> mplayer
Bus error
root@fredrik:/home/fredrik> thunderbird
/usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0/run-mozilla.sh: line 131:  2656 Bus error               "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

Trying to figure out what went wrong using ldd to see if there is some shared library problem does this:
root@fredrik:/home/fredrik> ldd /usr/bin/mplayer
ldd: exited with unknown exit code (135)

stracing mplayer gives me this
root@fredrik:/home/fredrik> strace /usr/bin/mplayer
execve("/usr/bin/mplayer", ["/usr/bin/mplayer"], [/* 57 vars */]) = -1 EFAULT (Bad address)
--- SIGBUS (Bus error) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGBUS +++

Does anyone know what this is? I'd rather not reinstall everything just because some lib is broken.

ps.
   just now I'm reinstalling all my "lib" packages in a hope that something just randomly broke when i installed.
   pacman -S $(for i in $(pacman -Q |grep lib|awk {'print $1'}); do echo -n "$i "; done)
ds.

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson

#2 2009-07-17 08:37:53

Maki
Website

Re: Mplayer and Thunderbird only outputs Bus Error

try starting the apps as a user, never run as root for non admin tasks.

If it ain't broke, broke it then fix it.

#3 2009-07-18 12:54:09

djszapi
Website

You're a great hacker smile Don't strace it, or gdb, or backtrace, or ldd. The application you get is binary, it must work in normal case.

Did you follow these intruction before it ?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MPlayer

#4 2010-02-06 20:20:05

mykhal

I had the same problem. In the same time, "/sbin/ldconfig: file /usr/lib/lib<whatever>.so.X is truncated" errors begun to appear (after pacman upgrades).

It was apparent, that some libraries were truncated (probably because of unavailable disk space during last upgrade (which I fixed with pacman -Scc and localepurge)), one of them was the same as the one appearing at almost very end of strace output, just before the failure (libmng).

Running ldconfig manually and reinstalling corresponding packages fixed the problem.

Board footer