You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-06 19:38:30

techfolio

aufs hook for mkinitcpio

Hey Ho..

Hmm I'm working now nearly one year on a ArchLinux-Box and it was really a great time which gave me a lot of experience with linux and stuff..

Nowadays, to enhance my understanding of Linux, I'm playing a little bit with the mkinitcpio stuff..

For now, I wrote up a little script, that mounts an sqfs-file via aufs2 and a ramdisk in rw mode. I know, that this technique is used by most of those LiveCDs and Sticks.

So, I booted the ArchLinux img with an USB-Stick to take a look at the aufs / tmpfs hooks. But sadly, I did not find anything, the mkinitcpio.conf was plain standard and the lib/initrd/hooks dir was as usual as on my PC. Also I was not able to mount the first stick-partition becaus of some (at least to me) obscure error-messages. wink

So, perhaps one of you can answer my question :

When I do this aufs-squashfs work to mount a root-Filesystem (rw) with all necessary files to run an Arch on /mnt/root for example.

How can I tell the kernel image to use this as root instead of mounting the device that must be given by the root-param?

I hope, I could state the problem clearly, since my english isn't quite the best smile

best regards
techfolio

#2 2010-02-06 20:32:09

firecat53
Website

Re: aufs hook for mkinitcpio

Check out how its done in larch. That will probably give you the info you need.

Good luck!
Scott

#3 2010-02-06 20:33:04

techfolio

Re: aufs hook for mkinitcpio

Hmm, I looked into those larch hooks, there is quite a lot of code smile

To be honest, I did not really understand everything.

I'm rather looking for some kind of documentation, how exactly the bootprocess works.
Is there any help.

Especially the whole root-mounting process.

I'd be very happy, if someone would know some great information..

Thank you again, so far..

Last edited by techfolio (2010-02-06 21:16:11)

Board footer