You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-13 03:14:16

Si

OpenOffice Impress doesn't work with dual screen using KWin

When using the presentation mode in OpenOffice Impress (press F5) on a dual screen setup in KDE, the presentation screen doesn't show up. Instead, a scrollable area is shown.

impessms4.th.png
http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=impessms4.png

This area is in fact the main slide editing area in the Impress main window. If you scroll around, the rendering becomes garbled, however, you can still right click and change the view mode, then the area becomes "normal", but without window decoration and toolbars and panels. However, if you change the mode to "Slide Sorter" and click anywhere, Impress crashes.

impess2rv4.th.png
http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=impess2rv4.png

I tried isolating the problem, and I think this problem may be Arch specific.

What I've tried:
1) Tried downloading OOo from the official website instead of using Arch's package, same problem.
2) Tried open source nv driver instead of nVidia's proprietary driver, same problem
3) Tested on both Arch's vanilla KDE 4.2.0 and KDEmod 4.2.0, same problem (which reminded me, it actually happened while I was using KDE 3.5.10 as well, but I seem to remember it only happened after upgrading to OOo3)
4) Tried a different window manager - metacity, worked fine, no problem
5) Downloaded Ubuntu 8.10 LiveCD with nvidia 180.29 driver manually installed, worked fine, no problem
6) Downloaded Kubuntu 8.10 LiveCD with nvidia 180.29 driver manually installed, worked fine, no problem

Conclusions:
1) Unlikely the fault of Arch's compile of OOo, because the official version had the same problem
2) Unlikely a display driver problem, because both nv and nvidia driver have the same problem
3) Unlikely a KWin problem, because Kubuntu worked just fine
4) Possibly a problem with Arch's and/or KDEmod's version of KDE
5) Possibly a problem caused by some other dependant packages
6) Possibly a problem specific to me only, and may be because I have messed something up

Is there anyone having the same problem? This problem seriously prevents me from working with OOo Impress on a dual screen setup, and I can't think of anything else I can do to solve this problem. If you also use KDE on a dual screen setup, please test Impress for me and let me know if it works fine for you. Thanks.

Last edited by Si (2009-02-13 03:19:41)

#2 2009-03-10 15:51:52

elb
Website

Re: OpenOffice Impress doesn't work with dual screen using KWin

Same problem here. It used to work in the past. I don't remember exactly untill when, but it might have stopped working with Ooo 3.

#3 2010-02-07 15:27:32

kaouete

Re: OpenOffice Impress doesn't work with dual screen using KWin

Hello, I have got the same problem with kde4 and an ati card...

Notice, that it works with env var OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde4

Last edited by kaouete (2010-02-07 15:29:27)

Board footer