You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-03 17:23:41

Ron74

Is problem with hotplug or Intel graphics?

I have installed Arch, with no problems, on an old P4 I put together from junk I had laying around.  I think it's fantastic and will most likely install it on my FreeBSD computer as well.  However, such is not the case with the many installs I have tried on my wife's HP computer.  The results have been either a blank screen when exiting from X, or that the mouse and keyboard are inoperative after starting X.

In a post on this forum, a user expresses his frustration concerning whether to enable hotplugging or not.  In response, a forum member advises him, among other things, that if he has an Intel graphics card, not to use xorg.conf at all.

Now, my wife's HP does have an Intel board with onboard Intel graphics.  I'm not looking for a how to, just to be steered in the right direction. I don't care if hotplugging is enabled or not; just want to know which is least troublesome in the install.  And, should I use xorg.conf or not?  Any help is appreciated.

#2 2010-02-03 17:42:44

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Is problem with hotplug or Intel graphics?

Ron74 wrote:

The results have been either a blank screen when exiting from X, or that the mouse and keyboard are inoperative after starting X.

As to the keyboard and mouse: Did you install xf86-input-evdev, xf86-input-keyboard, and (if you use the touchpad) xf86-input-synaptics ?

As to the blank screen when exiting X, can you check the end your /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if there are any signs that the x server crashed?  This was a problem with KDE, Intel, and Direct Rendering with some combinations  of Xorg-server and Intel drivers.  The newest stuff in ABS works well.  There was a work around to configure xorg-server to automatically restart on exit, but is no longer required.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2010-02-03 17:46:18

ewaller
Administrator

Sorry to respond to myself.  No you should not need an xorg.conf file unless you want to tell X something about your monitors that it cannot divine by polling the display.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2010-02-03 18:04:48

Ron74

ewaller wrote:
Ron74 wrote:

The results have been either a blank screen when exiting from X, or that the mouse and keyboard are inoperative after starting X.

As to the keyboard and mouse: Did you install xf86-input-evdev, xf86-input-keyboard, and (if you use the touchpad) xf86-input-synaptics ?

As to the blank screen when exiting X, can you check the end your /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if there are any signs that the x server crashed?  This was a problem with KDE, Intel, and Direct Rendering with some combinations  of Xorg-server and Intel drivers.  The newest stuff in ABS works well.  There was a work around to configure xorg-server to automatically restart on exit, but is no longer required.

I did xf86-input-evdev, and keyboard, and not synaptics; it's a desktop.  I tried to use xf86-video-intel-legacy driver, (onboard is 828xxx) but apparently it's not available. I did look maybe twice in log file, but no indication of crash. Right now, the hard drive is being wiped for my last attempt to install.  I'll be gone for awhile and check back later today.

#5 2010-02-03 18:10:55

Ron74

ewaller wrote:

Sorry to respond to myself.  No you should not need an xorg.conf file unless you want to tell X something about your monitors that it cannot divine by polling the display.

Her monitor is an Acer LCD wide screen, and xorg.conf apparently can't configure it correctly.  Horizintal and vertical sync are missing and I must insert them manually. Also I use xorg.conf to set screen resolution.  However, this install I will use a 17" CRT for the install.

#6 2010-02-07 18:41:06

Ron74

Problem solved.  After throwing everything except the proverbial kitchen sink at my wife's HP Compaq with no good results, I installed Debian for her.  I had installed Arch on my computer with hardly any effort.  X is working just fine and Arch is fantastic.

Board footer