You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-06 21:13:10

sj87

[Solved] System freezes after 10 minutes if no monitor attached

I've got a server machine that has been running Arch for a month now. It has had a problem of constant freezing all the time. At first it seemed completely random but today I noticed the system freezes up exactly after 10.00 minutes of uptime, if there is no monitor plugged into the system. If I unplug the display after ten minutes, the system will run fine as long as I want to (days, weeks) without it. Ten minutes is also the time after which the monitor will go into stand-by mode. Seems like some kind of a power-saving bug? No entries in any log file @ /var/log...

The system runs only basic home network functionalities; it serves as an NFS server, a print server (CUPS) and runs Lighttpd as a web server. It doesn't do Xorg nor has any fancy kernel modules loaded either. The system is up-to-date (stable repos). No custom-built software.

Somewhat sad since I previously ran NetBSD on the server, but it didn't support my printer-scanner (only printer OR scanner, one at a time), then switched to FreeBSD which failed with my new WLAN card, so then turned to Arch that I've ran on desktop for years now (also like the BSD-ness), and then this...

Last edited by sj87 (2010-02-07 18:47:43)

#2 2010-02-07 18:47:21

sj87

Re: [Solved] System freezes after 10 minutes if no monitor attached

Case closed, the source of trouble was once again kernel mode-setting (I think)... I blacklisted the drm_kms_helper module and some other stuff and that disabled the KMS functionality, and the server now doesn't freeze at any point.

Last edited by sj87 (2010-02-07 18:48:23)

Board footer