You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-08 23:51:40

imhumn

[SOLVED] Ethernet Adapter Hidden by Arch Install?

Hello.

I am a reasonably competent Linux user and have recently been using Arch Linux.  I practiced installations on a friend's computer a few times, without trouble, but I've run into some serious issues when trying to install Arch on my netbook (Acer AspireOne D250)

Specifically, the installer was unable to detect my wired ethernet adapter, so I went into my working Linux Mint (Ubuntu) install on the system and used <sudo lshw | grep -i "eth"> to determine what type of adapter I had and what driver it was using.  It showed up as an (I think) Atheros card, using the atl1c module.  After rebooting and having a similar failure in the installer, I used tty2 to execute

modprobe -a atl1c

Returning to the installer, my ethernet device was visible as eth0, but it was unable to pull a connection after running the DHCP program.  I then tried using

ifconfig eth0 up

to ensure the adapter was enabled, but similarly couldn't get internet access, and rebooted.

Now, however, this method would not work to find my ethernet adapter.  In fact, even the existing Linux Mint installation can't find the adapter at all.  lshw shows only the wireless adapter.  Something went wrong to completely hide my adapter from the system.

Simply: help?  Has anyone ever seen something like this before?  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited by imhumn (2010-02-09 05:33:38)

imhumn

#2 2010-02-09 00:27:33

grey

Re: [SOLVED] Ethernet Adapter Hidden by Arch Install?

I haven't seen this before, but try the troubleshooting section of the network entry in the wiki:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Con … ls_at_boot

Then post here where it fails.

Last edited by grey (2010-02-09 00:28:35)

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#3 2010-02-09 05:33:11

imhumn

Re: [SOLVED] Ethernet Adapter Hidden by Arch Install?

I'm going to close this one myself:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ace … e_D250_LAN
Broken network drivers in the most recent kernel affecting te AspireOne D250.

imhumn

Board footer