You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-06 06:58:47

cschep
Website

Aspire One Touchpad?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get Xorg running on my Aspire One, and I am having trouble.

I run startx, and the ugly default window manager comes up, and my keyboard works fine, but my touchpad doesn't work.

I'm not using an xorg.conf, and I've got HAL running for the hotplugging.

I have the synaptics driver installed, but I guess my thought is that Xorg/HAL/whatever isn't smart enough to use it without being told to..? just a guess.

do I have to disable hotplugging? Does anyone have their input devices working just fine without disabling hot plugging? I'm so sick of tinkering with xorg.conf...hoping to not have to this time around.

Thanks for any advice. The wiki article has been great, but I couldn't find anything about this specifically.

#2 2010-02-06 19:12:34

ichbinesderelch

Re: Aspire One Touchpad?

have you copied synpatics fdi from /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/11-x11-synaptics.fdi to /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ and configure that file? or maybe just go with the default configure? iirc there is some standard config in the wiki as well.

#3 2010-02-07 07:22:03

thayer
Fellow
Website

cschep wrote:

I run startx, and the ugly default window manager comes up, and my keyboard works fine, but my touchpad doesn't work.

This might sound obvious, but make sure it's switched on (Fn+F7).  For whatever reason, my touchpad was disabled under Linux the first time I installed Arch even though it was enabled in Windows.

Last edited by thayer (2010-02-07 07:22:38)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#4 2010-02-09 18:44:32

cschep
Website

Thanks for the replies. I have installed xmonad and obviously the keyboard can get me a long way, but not having a touchpad for web browsing can be a pain. I know about vimperator, but it sure seems like everyone else has this working no problem...weird.

Thayer, thanks for the thought, I hit Fn+F7 a few times, trying after every attempt and it didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe I have to hit it before I startx?

Weird.

Does anyone have a working keyboard/touchpad on the Aspire One without an xorg.conf?

#5 2010-02-09 19:35:11

Gusar

cschep wrote:

Does anyone have a working keyboard/touchpad on the Aspire One without an xorg.conf?

Yes, I do. I don't know how to help you, because things worked here out-of-the-box.

Try using the touchpad on the console, outside of X. To do this, install gpm, configure it in /etc/conf.d/gpm like this:

GPM_ARGS="-m /dev/input/mice -t imps2"

and then start it - /etc/rc.d/gpm start
If that works it means X is screwing up somewhere.

#6 2010-02-10 07:06:54

cschep
Website

Gusar wrote:

Try using the touchpad on the console, outside of X. To do this, install gpm, configure it in /etc/conf.d/gpm like this:

GPM_ARGS="-m /dev/input/mice -t imps2"

and then start it - /etc/rc.d/gpm start
If that works it means X is screwing up somewhere.

Hey thanks for this, I got this running without a hitch, nice to see the touchpad giving me some response! Only in a frame buffer though..weird.

Is there anyway to ask X what it's currently using? The log probably has that huh..

Thanks for the help, I think I should probably just nut up and make an xorg.conf that forces it to use the synaptics driver, and turn off hot plugging..boo.

Board footer