You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-10 22:24:11

kremso

pm-bust: disallow hibernation after kernel update

Hibernating after a kernel update is not a good idea. Hibernated machine fails to load from the image, causing session and data loss. After countless "surprises" I've created a simple replacement script for pm-hibernate to warn me if I try to hibernate after kernel update. You might find it useful too.

Usage:

Install pm-bust from aur: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34464 (and follow post install message) and hibernate by executing pm-bust instead of pm-hibernate. If you invoke `pm-bust -gui` and have zenity or xdialog a popup window will be displayed. The gui is useful when hibernating with a hotkey - I use it in my /etc/acpi/actions scripts.

#2 2010-02-10 22:59:34

ilembitov

Re: pm-bust: disallow hibernation after kernel update

I'm sorry, but why not just send a patch to pm-utils? I guess, such a thing would be beneficial for everybody

#3 2010-02-10 23:20:07

kremso

Re: pm-bust: disallow hibernation after kernel update

It's complicated - there was an open bug in pm-utils bugtracker which was closed as wontfix, stating that it's up to distribution maintainers to handle this situation. Then there was a similar bug in arch's bugtracker which was closed as wontfix because it's an upstream issue and upstream is unwilling to fix it.

Board footer