You are not logged in.

#26 2010-02-10 22:32:52

toad
Website

Re: what's new in kde4.4?

b9anders

My t41 isn't exactly rocket science either anymore... You may get some benefit from going into systemsettings - appearance - style - fine tuning (right hand tab) and change the graphical effects settings.

Thought that was nice smile

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#27 2010-02-11 10:15:02

cool
Website

b9anders wrote:

Stability - I am not impressed. Two random dolphin crashes, okular crashed, krunner stopped working when I activated desktop effects and chromium simply disappeared from the menu after I added the launcher to the panel. All this in the first hour. Still these are details I imagine will be ironed out with the next bugfix release.

Criticizing won't help. Report bugs and provide information on how to reproduce it. if devs can reproduce same bug on their end, they would fix it. Thus improving overall stability:D

https://bugs.kde.org/

Last edited by cool (2010-02-11 10:18:21)

#28 2010-02-11 13:06:11

Pl4cek

One can set NumLock to by toggled on automatically on the start up. I know that it was possible before, but it's nice that no extra configuration/apps are needed;)

#29 2010-02-11 14:06:55

dye464

Old Kontact Database Files are not fully compatible to the new Kontact 4.4 and you loose IM contact information and all birthdays.
Some weird kopete bugs where i had to add and remove chatwindow icons or they would be aligned totally retarded, that's my kde 4.4 experience so far.

#30 2010-02-11 14:12:15

toad
Website

dye464 wrote:

Old Kontact Database Files are not fully compatible to the new Kontact 4.4 and you loose IM contact information and all birthdays.

Hm, haven't had that problem. All birthdays still there... I've got vanilla kde on 64 bit but I dare say that won't make a difference in this case. Mind, I had to turn nepomuk off in order to stop virtuoso taking over my box.

Also, I get X burning up my CPU if I use tabbing for any amount of time.

never trust a toad...

#31 2010-02-11 14:23:12

dye464

toad wrote:
dye464 wrote:

Hm, haven't had that problem. All birthdays still there... I've got vanilla kde on 64 bit but I dare say that won't make a difference in this case. Mind, I had to turn nepomuk off in order to stop virtuoso taking over my box.

Also, I get X burning up my CPU if I use tabbing for any amount of time.

Yeah that was probably my fault, deactivated it...

#32 2010-02-11 16:58:32

Chadi

I love the System Settings -> Window Behavior -> Window Behavior -> Advanced -> Windows Tabbing : Automatically group similar windows.

#33 2010-02-11 17:05:23

mythus
Website

Greetings,

1.) Konqueror is loading my web pages faster now! smile Gmail  still don't like it in khtml mode but I don't mind using gmail in it's original form, especially since I plan to use gmail through kmail.

2.) I am now getting notifications on emails received from kopete!

3.) Notice that you can hover over the grouped item on the task bar and actually click on the window/program that you want from that hovered screen? Pretty nice IMO.

4.) Window grouping rocks! I loved it in Fluxbox and pekWM and defiently in KDE. You not only have the right click menu method but you can also use your middle mouse button. Just click you middle  mouse button and hold it down while dragging your title bar to the window/app you want to group it with. Nice! I just need to find out if I can get apps to remember and automatically open grouped with another app (like automatically open firefox grouped with konqueror if I have konq opened). Also I'd like to have apps in the task bar grouped automatically if the apps are grouped, with the apps they are grouped with.

5.) Dolphin seems much more capable now.

6.) The environment seems more responsive and smoother now. I have had 1 app crash with kopete, it not using facebook plugin.

7.) Being able to load certain widgets into systray simply rocks! Now I can throw the widgets I always thought belongged into systray in there (weather, device notifier, gmail notifier.. to name a few) and that makes it look much cleaner.

I am sure there is more, but these are my first discoveries with the new KDE SC 4.4. So far I am enjoying it.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#34 2010-02-11 18:26:57

Chadi

> Gmail  still don't like it in khtml mode
Konqueror Settings -> Browser Identification -> Site Specific Indentification, for mail.google.com

#35 2010-02-11 21:40:10

Primoz

One thin nobody mentioned till now is possibility of setting so that right click on a desktop gives you a applications menu.
Just go to activity (desktop) settings and mouse actions and set application starter (something like that) and you have menu on right click just like in *boxes.

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#36 2010-02-11 22:14:57

b9anders

cool wrote:
b9anders wrote:

Stability - I am not impressed. Two random dolphin crashes, okular crashed, krunner stopped working when I activated desktop effects and chromium simply disappeared from the menu after I added the launcher to the panel. All this in the first hour. Still these are details I imagine will be ironed out with the next bugfix release.

Criticizing won't help. Report bugs and provide information on how to reproduce it. if devs can reproduce same bug on their end, they would fix it. Thus improving overall stability:D

https://bugs.kde.org/

I haven't been able to reproduce them myself yet and I don't like to submit bugs without it.

#37 2010-02-12 01:42:22

dye464

Ok i don't know if it's new so don't kick me if it is not, but i really love this section:

screen.png

The lack of setting up specific rules was always a reason for me to use compiz and not kwin, but since i can have my firefox in fullscreen without borders and window decoration in with kwin, i'll stick with kwin.

#38 2010-02-12 08:02:59

toad
Website

I like the device notifier in the systemtray - same as the weather forecast

mos98 posted a couple of cool vids. Reposting here without permission:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBMQcZsr … ted&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsSK20-xE_g&NR=1&fmt=18

never trust a toad...

#39 2010-02-12 10:10:49

Rasi
Website

dye464 wrote:

Ok i don't know if it's new so don't kick me if it is not, but i really love this section:

http://www.imagebanana.com/img/8x3ceb2d/screen.png

The lack of setting up specific rules was always a reason for me to use compiz and not kwin, but since i can have my firefox in fullscreen without borders and window decoration in with kwin, i'll stick with kwin.

this was always possible. in the window you want to create a rule for hit alt+f3, then advanced. There you will find the needed settings

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#40 2010-02-12 13:40:56

cptr13

I noticed there's a windows theme engine (similar to emerald) with downloadable themes now, which I'm thrilled about.
System settings - windows
Change the top dropdown bar to Aurorae decoration theme engine.  Then check out all the options under "get new themes".  There's lots to choose from and all included in standard KDE now.  I love it!

Board footer