You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-16 13:52:14

dp
Website

ebanking software will not run with gcc 3.x

as i will go on holidays in 2 days, there will be no packages in incoming from me the next 2 weeks (... also to give some time the icoming getting smaller wink ) ... but since i started building packages, i built a lot that i needed on my archlinux and since most of the most important needs are solved (a lot was already in archlinux ... great job), i want to remove all other OS/distros from my computer (what do you need more than arch? :-) )

there stayed 2 problems:

- my USB-TV (Hauppauge) will not run on linux (usbvision is the module, but it will not build on arch with the 2.4.22 kernel), so i need WinXP for watching TV :-(

- my ebanking software (that i got from my bank --- for the ones who know: kantonalbank-inba software) comes WITH an special JRE (they supplied some security packages in it) compiled on gcc 2.xx and it runs only on my old linux that has the old gcc<3 ... that's the main reason i keep an old linux installed ... sure there is a windows version of this software, but i dont trust in winXP-networking, sorry

watching tv is not that important to me ... but paying the bills is

i was wondering:

- is there a way to have a gcc 2.x and 3.3.1 installed parallely on the same machine? (sounds realy crazy, i know)

- is there a way to emulate the gcc 2.x functions in gcc 3.3.1? (a compatibility package?)

- is there a way to emulate a linux on a linux (but no VMware ... i dont want to pay for it) ... this would at least solve the rebooting from time to time to communicate with my bank

- any other idea how to run a gcc-2.x binary on a gcc 3.3.x system?

every idea is helpfull ... please propose everything you think can be helpfull

PS
i asked the bank, if there is a release compiled with new gcc, but not before end of year or later

PPS
this is the problem of too good things (like arch) ... they are too new, too much up to date, too good to run the old and obsolete stuff

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2003-09-16 15:13:18

sarah31
Website

Re: ebanking software will not run with gcc 3.x

dp wrote:

- my USB-TV (Hauppauge) will not run on linux (usbvision is the module, but it will not build on arch with the 2.4.22 kernel), so i need WinXP for watching TV :-(

no clue to this one i suppose you have googled for solutions. there are other distros i am sure that use the new kernel

i was wondering:

- is there a way to have a gcc 2.x and 3.3.1 installed parallely on the same machine? (sounds realy crazy, i know)

yes a few distros have done this.

- is there a way to emulate the gcc 2.x functions in gcc 3.3.1? (a compatibility package?)

my guess would be no as gcc3 is desigend to eliminate deprciated coding practises that gcc2 allowed and that may be need for your banking software to work.

- is there a way to emulate a linux on a linux (but no VMware ... i dont want to pay for it) ... this would at least solve the rebooting from time to time to communicate with my bank

yes it is called user mode linux (uml) Xentac/Jason made packages for this a while back. you will have to do your own research about it though as i have no clue how to use it nor point you in the direction of links.

- any other idea how to run a gcc-2.x binary on a gcc 3.3.x system?

sorry no i don't but others may.

PS
i asked the bank, if there is a release compiled with new gcc, but not before end of year or later

sheesh even DEBIAN is using gcc3 now i think. at least they offer linux support though. if i have troubles with my internet i am completely on my own unless it is an obvious ISP problem. i have four computers all of which have unsupported oses.

PPS
this is the problem of too good things (like arch) ... they are too new, too much up to date, too good to run the old and obsolete stuff

bah the only thing that is obsolete is thinking that the majority of people still use gcc2 wink

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-09-16 15:42:47

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Sarah's basically answered this question, I just wanted to add a little bit of value.

User mode linux lets you run a linux kernel within linux.  The arch package is user-mode-linux.  You need a root filesystem (which is available off their website).  For more information check http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2003-09-16 21:28:44

dp
Website

sarah31 wrote:
dp wrote:

no clue to this one i suppose you have googled for solutions. there are other distros i am sure that use the new kernel

yes, a lot, and also for a long time now ... http://www.emuit.com/webcam.html is the source of the driver, but they wrote it actually for 2.4.19 to work, and all newer ones do not really work ... the only one that works, is code for a 2.5.x kernel ... but switching to an dev-kernel only to watch tv is really courageous ... and actually also dangerous

sarah31 wrote:

yes it is called user mode linux (uml) Xentac/Jason made packages for this a while back. you will have to do your own research about it though as i have no clue how to use it nor point you in the direction of links.

sounds great ... i will have a look when i'm back from france

sarah31 wrote:

PS

sheesh even DEBIAN is using gcc3 now i think. at least they offer linux support though. if i have troubles with my internet i am completely on my own unless it is an obvious ISP problem. i have four computers all of which have unsupported oses.

i know what you mean ... here in my environement (family, friends, colleagues ...), everyone asks me first if there is a problem with any computer-related problem (win, mac, linux, bsd ... no matter what ... even unix/vms! --- i'm actually thinking in the background and searching the internet from time to time on how to port a vms program to linux), so i got used to solve problems with computers ... and having a system like arch, this i can say now, is very helpfull, because you have a really clean config --- helping my uncle with redhat makes me crazy, because they have sometimes special paths for apps, and scripts and other things that override your well written config-files --- or even replace them ... horrible .... and the most badest thing i saw was helping someone configuring a samba-server on mac osX ... the config-file is like the one you have in linux, but there is a tool that change it to a default, that is set in a gui! ... a gui has more importance than the configfile!!! --- :twisted: --- this is horrible --- so i'm really happy with arch (as i was with slackware before, and with linux-esprit and SuSE 6.0 and 7.1 the only 2 SuSE that were well organized --- all that came later is too much windows-like)

sarah31 wrote:

PPS

bah the only thing that is obsolete is thinking that the majority of people still use gcc2 wink

that's true! but how can you explain a programmer in a bank, that you are using gcc3 when (s)he has on it's never upgraded HPunix or VMS a c++ lib that is older than the first pentium ... ha ha ... but i wrote some nice letters to nice people ... that maybe will help --- but i will try to solve this over the UML when i come to that ... thanx for this note, i didnt know about it

#5 2003-09-16 21:50:20

dp
Website

Xentac wrote:

Sarah's basically answered this question, I just wanted to add a little bit of value.

User mode linux lets you run a linux kernel within linux.  The arch package is user-mode-linux.  You need a root filesystem (which is available off their website).  For more information check http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/ wrote:

User-Mode Linux is a safe, secure way of running Linux versions and Linux processes. Run buggy software, experiment with new Linux kernels or distributions, and poke around in the internals of Linux, all without risking your main Linux setup.

wow ... i was wondering that i didnt know of that before ... great thing ... really great thing ... if i get it working on my laptop this would be fantastic

one more question, before i go on holidays taking this nice picture of my future work and fun with me ... just to be sure i understood what i read on the homepage of uml:

the root_fs ... the ones you can download from  http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/dl-fs-sf.html ... do you mean i'm able to have a slackware8.1 by just downloading the "root_fs"? (of course there is a lot of config there, but i dont have to create the root_fs from begining?) --- if so, that is genial! --- and this leads to something really logical: has anyone already made a root_fs of arch? if not, i will try in some weeks ... because i think i will like this uml-idea really much ... ... by the way: this would be also great for testing new arch-packages, isn't it?

#6 2003-09-16 21:55:49

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

That's right about the slackware root_fs.  All of them there are very small base installs of these distros.

Fancy you should ask.  I have (had? I can't remember if I deleted it) an 0.4 arch root_fs.  I'll probably just make an 0.5 one though, considering the number of changes there have been since then.  I didn't know the best way to share these (or if people wanted them).

Oh yeah, I've been having trouble building the 2.4.22 UML kernel patch, so right now it's only 2.4.20.  That's one of the reasons I've been laying off building a root_fs.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#7 2003-09-16 22:05:02

dp
Website

great ... thanx a lot for this link, and your info --- i actually need a real base install ... just to have java and the possibility to connect to my X on native arch ... and that will help runing old gcc2.x apps --- the theory ... in real in some weeks :-)

and about root_fs_arch0.5: actually i dont like 2.4.22 really: the 2.4.20 worked much better (i'm not objective, but that's because i lost 3d-hardware-acceleration with upgrade to 2.4.22 --- the new radeon module (from dri) will not build correctly) ... but it would be nice to try having a 2.6.0 on arch trying to run ... or even a dev-kernel (2.5.x) ... maybe with also USB-TV --- wow, that would be great --- than i will not more need 4GB of lost space for just running TV wink

#8 2003-09-17 00:23:07

dp
Website

as i cant sleep i just installed uml and tried with slackware8.1 --- great ... the only thing is: it is a really minimalistic root_fs ... no gcc, no libtool, no nothing ... but now as i found out how to use the network from uml i will soon add some usefull packages to it --- well as much as i know linux can handle files up to 2GB ... so the root_fs can be max 2GB right? (i heard that limit some years ago, maybe it's wrong now) ... but i'm really happy and tired now ... the next i try is a redhat 7.2  --- i want to run once "rm -rf /" without worrying

#9 2003-09-17 01:53:56

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they can get larger than 2G now.  At least with ext2/3...

You have to watch out though.  Those root_fs files probably have a pretty small maximum size.  You might have to make a bigger empty file and copy them to it.

- Blaise Pascal

Board footer