You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-12 01:49:04

akonerz

file could not be moved to the Trash

hi everibody
thi is my problem
i can move any file or folder to the trash
the error say ("file could not be moved to the Trash")
I just reinstalled arch
ext4 is a partition in which I can not move the files but if I delete directly so something is wrong with the ntfs partition if you can but not in the partition of the system
I hope they can help me here's my fstab for what it's worth

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>

[color=#FF0000]/dev/sda6       /       ext4    defaults        0       1[/color] <---------------------------this is the partition
/dev/sda5       /media/Datos    ntfs-3g defaults,locale=es_MX.utf8,uid=1000,gid$
#/dev/sda2      /media/Reservado_para_el_sistema        ntfs    defaults,nls=ut$
#/dev/sda3      /media/sda3     ntfs    defaults,nls=utf8,umask=0222    0      $
none    /dev/pts        devpts  defaults        0       0
none    /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0       0
/dev/sda7       swap    swap    defaults        0       0

#/dev/cdrom     /media/cd       auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0       0
#/dev/dvd       /media/dvd      auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0       0
#/dev/fd0       /media/fl       auto    user,noauto     0       0

Last edited by akonerz (2010-02-12 01:49:26)

#2 2010-02-13 05:34:04

MAroco

Re: file could not be moved to the Trash

Not sure if I understand you... smile
You should check what files you tried to delete and especially who ownes them adn what the permission-settings are. If they were not from your /home/<username> folder, but let's say /etc or /var or something like that, you probably tried to delete a file owned by root - which only root is allowed to do.
You would need to put su or sudo in front of your deleting-command or start a filebrowser with root-privileges - BUT make SURE it's REALLY safe to delete the file! If it belongs to root it probably has a reason to be there and to be undeletable by normal users smile

#3 2010-02-13 20:44:43

akonerz

hi  really can not delete any files from the hard drive no matter if it is in "/" "/ home" "/ var" in no even if I think my user file and delete it but I can not root as you can send files to the trash

#4 2010-02-13 21:44:13

MAroco

Well its kind of hard to decode your english (no offense! I'm just not sure I understand what you mean)

Let's do some tests.
First check if your user belongs to the "storage" group (have a look at /etc/group or open a terminal and as root type

grep <your-username> /etc/group

Youwill get a list of groups your user belongs to. One should look like this:   storage:x:95:<your-username>,hal

If storage is not part of that list, add your user to this group (as root):

gpasswd -a  <your-username>  storage

Next test: open a terminal in your users home directory and do

touch test.txt

This should just create an empty file named test.txt.

You won't get output if it worked, so you may check if it really was created with

ls -l

That will list the content of the directory. You should see test.txt there, probably other files too.
If this fails the drive is probably mounted read-only (I see no reason this should be the case in your fstab but better be sure). Btw. is it an internal drive or let's say external USB-Harddisk?

If the above works you know at least that the drive is mounted read-write and that you have write permissions in you home-folder as it should be.
Next Step: try deleting the file again witch

rm test.txt

and check again with the ls -l if it was deleted.

None of this will immediately solve your problem but we might get a hint what is going wrong...
If you get any error messages post them here.

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean with  "but I can not root as you can send files to the trash" 
You mean you can't become root at all or just that deleting the files as root is not practical for every day use? (It sure isn't that was just to test if the drive is mounted read-write.)

#5 2010-02-14 00:25:24

akonerz

sorry but im not talk english and im using google traductor to post jeje
If I am in the group of storage already I saw and if I can create files and erase(smear) them even in the graphical environment I can eliminate the files only that does not leave me to move the file to the wastebasket marks his(her) mistake if not nadamas directly to eliminate it here I put an image of what happens
pantallazofz.png
I have linux in one partition with the exception of swap partition and I alone in this image is true if I move the same file to another partition and delete it there is no problem if you send to the trash

#6 2010-02-14 00:56:33

MAroco

Oh the fine google translater - that explains everything. big_smile
Perhaps it would be easier to look for an Arch Forum in your native tongue? Look here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewforum.php?id=30
Sorry I don't want to be rude by no means  I just can't make any real sense of this so called "translation" but thats certainly not your fault.

(For some fun give the english "translation" google produces back to it and retranslate it to your native tongue. I bet you won't recognise your own post...)

Do I interpret right?
A) Your user is in the storage group.
B) You can create and delete files in your home folder in a terminal.
C) You can even create and delete them in the graphical environment.
D) Just *dragging* the file on top of the wastebasket-icon doesn't work?

If A,B and C are true then you know at least that you don't have a problem with fstab or read-only drives or such. In this case it is probably some gnome-problem. Only I have no idea what it could be at the moment...   I don't even use gnome which doesn't make it easier.

Well I have one but highly unlikely idea: look for the trash folder in your users home directory and check if the ownership and permission are correct. It might perhaps be that it belongs to root or you are not allowed to write in it. You could try to delete the trash-folder completely with the rm -command and see if that helps but that's all poking in the dark I'm afraid.
DON'T try to delete it in the graphical environment or it will probably try to throw itself into itself... Could yield fun results though  smile

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'll post again if I get another idea.
Wish you luck

#7 2010-02-14 07:27:48

akonerz

hi men thanks for de help
the problem is on my user
i created  new user and in this no problem
so its solved jeje
thanks

#8 2010-02-14 07:36:06

MAroco

Your welcome. Great to hear it works. I was just about to propose you rename the .gnome2-folder in your home to start the gnome-configs from scratch but creating a new user has the same effect in this regard.
Could you please mark the thread as solved?
Have fun with Arch, bye.

Last edited by MAroco (2010-02-14 07:36:35)

Board footer