You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-14 15:47:22

ninjaprawn

need a command for memory type?

hi,

i just did dmidecode and noticed there is loads of space for more memory, but I cant figure out what type i need. is there a command to list the exact type of memroy, e.g. pins, pcxxxx

thanks

2007 - Started using Arch Linux as my only/main OS
- Samsung Series 3, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz - 8Gb DDR3 ram - 700Gb HDD
On board intel Graphics & Sound

#2 2010-02-14 15:50:51

lagagnon
Website

Re: need a command for memory type?

To find out what type of memory you require you need to consult your motherboard manual.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2010-02-14 15:57:03

ninjaprawn

thanks, but i am looking for a command to display the information if possible. unfortunately, my board is 10 years old, and i dont have the manual, and info on the web is scetchy!

2007 - Started using Arch Linux as my only/main OS
- Samsung Series 3, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz - 8Gb DDR3 ram - 700Gb HDD
On board intel Graphics & Sound

#4 2010-02-14 16:31:31

davidm

ninjaprawn wrote:

thanks, but i am looking for a command to display the information if possible. unfortunately, my board is 10 years old, and i dont have the manual, and info on the web is scetchy!

try 'lshw'.

Sometimes the BIOS POST message also reports the currently used speed. The best thing however (after MOBO doc) is to physically take out the RAM and see what is in there now.

For example on mine 'lshw' reports this in the memory section:

*-memory                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
          description: System Memory                                                                                                                                                                                                         
          physical id: 35                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
          slot: System board or motherboard                                                                                                                                                                                                  
          size: 2GiB                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
        *-bank:0                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
             description: DIMM DDR Synchronous                                                                                                                                                                                               
             product: PartNum0                                                                                                                                                                                                               
             vendor: Manufacturer0                                                                                                                                                                                                           
             physical id: 0                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
             serial: SerNum0                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
             slot: DIMM0                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
             size: 1GiB                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
             width: 64 bits                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
        *-bank:1                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
             description: DIMM DDR Synchronous                                                                                                                                                                                               
             product: PartNum1                                                                                                                                                                                                               
             vendor: Manufacturer1                                                                                                                                                                                                           
             physical id: 1                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
             serial: SerNum1                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
             slot: DIMM1                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
             size: 1GiB                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
             width: 64 bits                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
        *-bank:2                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
             description: DIMM [empty]                                                                                                                                                                                                       
             product: PartNum2                                                                                                                                                                                                               
             vendor: Manufacturer2                                                                                                                                                                                                           
             physical id: 2                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
             serial: SerNum2                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
             slot: DIMM2                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
        *-bank:3                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
             description: DIMM [empty]                                                                                                                                                                                                       
             product: PartNum3                                                                                                                                                                                                               
             vendor: Manufacturer3                                                                                                                                                                                                           
             physical id: 3                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
             serial: SerNum3                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
             slot: DIMM3

I have 4 slots with two filled with 1 GB sticks.  Two are empty.  This won't tell you exactly what pcxxxx it is but keep in mind most are backward compatible except between varying types (DDR, DDR2, DDR3).  For DDR be careful with ECC and non-ECC however.

Last edited by davidm (2010-02-14 16:36:33)

Board footer