You are not logged in.

#26 2010-02-12 14:32:15

brain0
Developer
From: Aachen - Germany
Registered: 2005-01-03
Posts: 1,382

Re: The mkinitcpio upgrade went great for me on 32 and 64 bit

skottish wrote:

My 32 bit machine is a little more complicated in that it's using 915resolution-static and v86d. I followed the same steps above and everything works.

You should be able to use a dynamically linked 915resolution now instead of a static one, this will make the initramfs a bit smaller.

However, on Intel graphics, you should rather rely on KMS than on 915resolution+uvesafb these days.

Offline

#27 2010-02-13 03:52:21

skottish
Forum Fellow
From: Here
Registered: 2006-06-16
Posts: 7,931

Re: The mkinitcpio upgrade went great for me on 32 and 64 bit

brain0 wrote:
skottish wrote:

My 32 bit machine is a little more complicated in that it's using 915resolution-static and v86d. I followed the same steps above and everything works.

You should be able to use a dynamically linked 915resolution now instead of a static one, this will make the initramfs a bit smaller.

However, on Intel graphics, you should rather rely on KMS than on 915resolution+uvesafb these days.

Poulsbo. I can't rely on Intel... yet.

Thanks for the heads up on 915resolution. Maybe the maintainer will adopt my patch so I can orphan the other. Time for testing.

Offline

#28 2010-02-13 19:48:18

punkeroso
Member
From: Rome, Italy
Registered: 2007-01-19
Posts: 104

Re: The mkinitcpio upgrade went great for me on 32 and 64 bit

brain0 wrote:
punkeroso wrote:

I got this when trying to boot with the new image:

cat: can't open '/sys/block//sys/block/sda/sda3/dev: No such file or directory.
ERROR: Unable to determine major/minor number of root device '/dev/sda3'

This is my mkinitcpio.conf

MODULES="ahci scsi_mod libata sd_mod ext4"
HOOKS="base"

Root on ext4 and x86_64.

Sorry, I just saw this thread. This problem should be fixed now, here: http://projects.archlinux.org/mkinitcpi … 6c1ae7f8c0

Please try this configuration again. I never made any tests without udev myself.

Works flawlessy!

Regards

Offline

#29 2010-02-13 22:29:49

brain0
Developer
From: Aachen - Germany
Registered: 2005-01-03
Posts: 1,382

Re: The mkinitcpio upgrade went great for me on 32 and 64 bit

punkeroso wrote:
brain0 wrote:

Please try this configuration again. I never made any tests without udev myself.

Works flawlessy!

Regards

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline

#30 2010-02-14 14:06:54

EVRAMP
Member
From: Czech Republic
Registered: 2008-10-03
Posts: 173
Website

Re: The mkinitcpio upgrade went great for me on 32 and 64 bit

Also thank you for explaining this update on your blog!

Offline

#31 2010-02-14 16:53:41

R00KIE
Forum Moderator
From: Between a computer and a chair
Registered: 2008-09-14
Posts: 3,206

Re: The mkinitcpio upgrade went great for me on 32 and 64 bit

This is not in testing anymore but anyway ....
Update went just fine on my notebook (ext4 root, sata disk).

However when I did the same on an usb flash disk (ext2 root) things have gone wrong. Image generation went fine but then after rebooting I was dropped into the recovery shell.

As far as I can see it cannot detect any partitions, it detects the device but no partitions, /sys/block is empty, /dev has no reference to any sd*.

This is what I have in mkinitcpio.conf
MODULES=""
HOOKS="base udev usb autodetect pata scsi sata usbinput keymap filesystems"

Any ideas?

Edit:
Forgot to say that the fallback image does not work too.

Last edited by R00KIE (2010-02-14 16:55:52)


R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Offline

#32 2010-02-14 17:32:18

brain0
Developer
From: Aachen - Germany
Registered: 2005-01-03
Posts: 1,382

Re: The mkinitcpio upgrade went great for me on 32 and 64 bit

R00KIE wrote:

However when I did the same on an usb flash disk (ext2 root) things have gone wrong. Image generation went fine but then after rebooting I was dropped into the recovery shell.

As far as I can see it cannot detect any partitions, it detects the device but no partitions, /sys/block is empty, /dev has no reference to any sd*.

This is what I have in mkinitcpio.conf
MODULES=""
HOOKS="base udev usb autodetect pata scsi sata usbinput keymap filesystems"

Any ideas?

Edit:
Forgot to say that the fallback image does not work too.

Look at lsmod to see if usb-storage and a USB controller is loaded. Look at dmesg to see what happens, if it even detects the USB drive, if USB is working at all and so on.

Offline

#33 2010-02-14 17:59:23

brain0
Developer
From: Aachen - Germany
Registered: 2005-01-03
Posts: 1,382

Re: The mkinitcpio upgrade went great for me on 32 and 64 bit

Okay, I just installed it on a USB drive and can't get USB to work either, it won't even load the HID modules, no idea what's wrong.

Offline

#34 2010-02-14 18:16:21

brain0
Developer
From: Aachen - Germany
Registered: 2005-01-03
Posts: 1,382

Re: The mkinitcpio upgrade went great for me on 32 and 64 bit

Gotcha: http://projects.archlinux.org/mkinitcpi … 1502040b72

EDIT: Fixed in mkinitcpio 0.6.2-1

Last edited by brain0 (2010-02-14 18:37:04)

Offline

#35 2010-02-14 18:40:06

R00KIE
Forum Moderator
From: Between a computer and a chair
Registered: 2008-09-14
Posts: 3,206

Re: The mkinitcpio upgrade went great for me on 32 and 64 bit

Didn't remember to look at lsmod.

While using the fallback image these are the modules that get loaded:

pata_acpi
usb_storage
pata_sis
ata_generic
libata
ohci_hcd
scsi_mod
ehci_hcd
usbcore

By looking at what which modules my notebook has loaded (I had the usb drive plugged here already to rebuild the images in a chroot) I saw that there was a sd_mod module loaded, if I rmmod usb_storage then modprobe sd_mod and usb_storage then I detects the partitions, so in the fallback it seems only sd_mod is missing (it worked fine before the update). However they dont show up in /dev or /dev/disk (I guess thats udev's job to put things there).

With the default boot image these are the modules loaded

pata_acpi
ata_generic
ohci_hcd
libata
ehci_hcd
usbcore

If I modprobe sd_mod and usb_storage then it detects the partitions on the usb drive.

I've added sd_mod and usb_storage to the modules line and now it outputs the detection of the partitions (which it didn't before) but still cannot boot, I guess thats because of what brain0 pointed out.


R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Offline

#36 2010-02-14 19:02:40

brain0
Developer
From: Aachen - Germany
Registered: 2005-01-03
Posts: 1,382

Re: The mkinitcpio upgrade went great for me on 32 and 64 bit

ROOKIE, read my last post, mkinitcpio 0.6.2-1 is out and fixes this problem.

Offline

#37 2010-02-14 19:26:42

R00KIE
Forum Moderator
From: Between a computer and a chair
Registered: 2008-09-14
Posts: 3,206

Re: The mkinitcpio upgrade went great for me on 32 and 64 bit

brain0 wrote:

ROOKIE, read my last post, mkinitcpio 0.6.2-1 is out and fixes this problem.

Yes, you posted while I was testing this stuff on another machine and writing the reply wink
Things got sorted out very fast with this one, I have tested mkinitcpio 0.6.2-1 and confirm it works for me™.


R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Offline

#38 2010-02-14 19:32:55

brain0
Developer
From: Aachen - Germany
Registered: 2005-01-03
Posts: 1,382

Re: The mkinitcpio upgrade went great for me on 32 and 64 bit

R00KIE wrote:
brain0 wrote:

ROOKIE, read my last post, mkinitcpio 0.6.2-1 is out and fixes this problem.

Yes, you posted while I was testing this stuff on another machine and writing the reply wink
Things got sorted out very fast with this one, I have tested mkinitcpio 0.6.2-1 and confirm it works for me™.

No problem. I set up two USB Arch systems on my external hard drive, one 32 and one 64 Bit, so I could work on this issue.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB