You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-14 19:22:50

oc999

kernel panic before first boot (SOLVED)

hi , after finally going through install & config I rebooted and wanted to login to the freshly installed system but there was an error saying
no filesystem could mount root
tried : (empty)
after partitions everything was empty too.
after doing some research here in this board i guess it has something to do with my fstab
I'll post the 2 important fstab lines

/dev/sda3 / xfs defaults 0 1
/dev/sda4 swap swap 0 0

which is actually the default setting from the install ( didnt make any changes besides uncommenting the cdrom and dvd mount lines so it gets automatically mounted with hal )
what else could be the reason for this error ?
i should mention that i did not install grub from the archlinux cd - it was already installed by my other linux distro ( mint ) which i booted and did update-grub so it would create the archlinux entry. worked out so far besides arch doesnt want to boot.
thanks in advance!

Last edited by oc999 (2010-02-14 21:42:24)

#2 2010-02-14 20:37:04

davidm

Re: kernel panic before first boot (SOLVED)

Hello. You saw the Beginner's Guide @ http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide right?  Just wanted to make sure...

If you can post the output of fdisk and briefly note what each partition is (i.e. this one is my Ubuntu root, this one is supposed to be my Ubuntu swap, this one is supposed to be WinXP, this one is my Arch /home, etc)

It looks like you have a lot of work to do on your /etc/fstab.  The beginner's guide at the link above goes over that very well.

Also as the beginner's guide suggests consider using UUIDs when you have multiple disks.  This can save a lto of hassle when the disks are ordered other than you might expect.

#3 2010-02-14 21:42:10

oc999

Re: kernel panic before first boot (SOLVED)

hey
my fstab was fine - found the solution ironically in the trashbin of this board big_smile i 've read the beginners guide but i havent seen a hint to what happens if you dont install the bootloader that comes with arch. the problem was simply in my grub.cfg ( since I kept using grub2 that came with linux mint )
in my grub.cfg the initrd entry was completly missing.
I'm sorry for having posted and again solved my problem myself but anyways thanks for your reply!
would be nice to include this information in the beginners guide so less people like me keep asking the same question big_smile

Board footer