You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-15 02:13:50

apcorn

Module blacklisting and X keyboard layout

Hi, I'm trying to install Arch and I'm having two very big problems.

The first and biggest problem is that I have a Highpoint RocketRaid 1820 RAID controller. The free driver, sata_mv, causes problems with the proprietary one and I don't want it to load automatically. Despite adding it to the MODULES array as (!sata_mv) and adding "disablemodules=sata_mv" to the kernel line in menu.lst, sata_mv is always present at boot. This also causes problems with mounting the / filesystem because sometimes my main drive is named sda by udev, and sometimes it's sdf. If sata_mv wasn't present, the drives attached to the RAID card wouldn't be named at all. Is there some other way to disable loading of the sata_mv module without recompiling the kernel? Is it finding its way into the initramfs file somehow? Can I regenerate that file and exclude that module?

Second, how do I make Xorg use the dvorak keyboard layout by default? I used to be able to add Option "XkbLayout" "us" and Option "XkbVariant" "dovark" to my xorg.conf keyboard device section, but that seems not to work anymore. A post I found on Google said that in Debian, this is now controlled through some console settings file, so I added XKBLAYOUT="us" and XKBVARIANT="dvorak" to rc.conf, but that didn't change anything. What am I missing? The console keyboard layout works fine with KEYMAP="dvorak" and running "setxkbmap dvorak" from a terminal works fine once X is running.

Thanks for any input, I really appreciate it.

#2 2010-02-15 02:51:31

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Module blacklisting and X keyboard layout

I don't use Dvorak.  To set your keyboard for Xorg, you now need to create a .fdi file and place it in /etc/hal/fdi/information

You might check out http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=69214

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer