You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-14 22:26:54

oc999

problems with pacman (SOLVED)

ok this is my third post today so I'm sorry if I'm "spamming" but cant continue configuring arch if I cant solve this problem.
somehow pacman doesnt work with the servers from /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist. I've read several threads about pacman issues and the wiki which explains how to configure pacmans repositories servers but I seem to be doing something wrong.
before I used mirrorlist I followed the beginners guide and typed some servers into the pacman.conf file to use preferred mirrors ( I chose one that was closest to my location and kept in mind to use the same for core / extra / community ( changing the link of course )
I started downloading packages I need to configure my wireless connection and after reading the wiki on wireless setup I needed some other packages to connect to a WPA2 secured access point.it would not let me download it telling me some (not all) files were not found.
I started reading again and found out that I can uncomment servers in mirrorlist which i did. now it started looking on other servers until it just hangs up and nothing works anymore ( well I can type but the pacman program is still running doing nothing. I quit it pressing alt+f4 but it keeps on happening ( I waited several minutes but nothing happened ).
thanks !

Last edited by oc999 (2010-02-15 04:56:10)

#2 2010-02-14 22:32:25

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: problems with pacman (SOLVED)

Check the first mirror that's uncommented against this site:

https://users.archlinux.de/~gerbra/mirrorcheck.html

If something's wrong with it, re-comment it out. Or, if it's ftp.archlinux.org, comment it out.

#3 2010-02-14 22:46:02

davidm

Hello, Maybe cut and paste the output of pacman to help us see what is going on better...

#4 2010-02-14 23:15:12

oc999

thanks the site looks pretty helpful but the server i'm first using ( cvut.cz ) is allright. now i switched to another one in netherlands (surfnet.nl) from which i could successfully download packages with my browser but as soon as I boot into arch I keep getting errors - only this time it says
something like e.g. file not found or no access. which is strange since I can download it through the browser in my other installed distro.
also this time it downloads something in the end but always keeps on getting corrupted. did I configure my network wrong ?
ping -c 3 www.google.com works fine. I dont really know what to change anymore.

edit : @davidm : I would if I could but since I only have the basic system without X installed ( and I cant install anything right now ) I cant copy & paste outputs - I am switching my OS to write here on this board. anyways theres no much output to copy it just tells me the files is either not available ( which it is cause I downloaded it on another distro through the browser ) or  I have no access. then when it finally finds a server which it can download from it downloads it corrupted and makes me delete the file ( no reason to keep it since its broke and not working ).

Last edited by oc999 (2010-02-14 23:18:49)

#5 2010-02-14 23:39:09

davidm

oc999 wrote:

thanks the site looks pretty helpful but the server i'm first using ( cvut.cz ) is allright. now i switched to another one in netherlands (surfnet.nl) from which i could successfully download packages with my browser but as soon as I boot into arch I keep getting errors - only this time it says
something like e.g. file not found or no access. which is strange since I can download it through the browser in my other installed distro.
also this time it downloads something in the end but always keeps on getting corrupted. did I configure my network wrong ?
ping -c 3 www.google.com works fine. I dont really know what to change anymore.

edit : @davidm : I would if I could but since I only have the basic system without X installed ( and I cant install anything right now ) I cant copy & paste outputs - I am switching my OS to write here on this board. anyways theres no much output to copy it just tells me the files is either not available ( which it is cause I downloaded it on another distro through the browser ) or  I have no access. then when it finally finds a server which it can download from it downloads it corrupted and makes me delete the file ( no reason to keep it since its broke and not working ).

Often that error will go away within a few minutes as the package is actually downloaded to the mirror itself.  Assuming you have tried different mirrors and forced a sync with something like 'pacman -Syy' then perhaps something to try might be to switch pacman over to using wget:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 02#p221502

There may be some sort of esoteric network problem responsible which is corrupting your downloads after a few Kilobytes.  Even if this does work I would still probably investigate the issue further from the angle of it being a network issue (example: double NAT) which may cause other problems

Last edited by davidm (2010-02-14 23:41:15)

#6 2010-02-15 01:54:57

oc999

tried the wget advice. had hopes after I saw now a bit more information about what was going on ( the ftp connect ) .. but strangely it doesnt work either - most servers keep on telling me the files not available and the last one is still corrupted.
anyways I dont know really which network settings i should look after .. since so far with my other installed OS i havent had any trouble.
any other suggestions ?

#7 2010-02-15 01:58:49

Allan
Pacman
Website

Without more output I can only guess, but you could be an issue that those packages you are trying to install have been updated. Have you done a system update first?  "pacman -Syu".  That will also refresh your pacman database.

#8 2010-02-15 04:55:37

oc999

after trying system update a couple of times it all works now! wouldnt finnish the system update because of my wlan connection but after doing it with cable I can finally download all the packages I need ! thanks alot for the advice!

Board footer