You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-04 03:20:29

lang123

a strange problem with my wireless card

my box is lenovo ideapad y550, the wireless card is intel 5100. After i update to kernel 2.6.32, there is a strange problem occored.
i configure my wireless at /etc/rc.conf like this:
MODULES=(...... iwlagn ......)
wlan_wlan0="wlan0 essid xxxx key s:xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wlan0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(wlan0)
DAEMONS=(......network......)

it works well at 2.6.31
but at 2.6.32, i find during the archlinux start, it tell me that "dhcpcd time out"

so i remove network from DAEMONS  and just load the wireless card's driver module, then i configure my wireless at the bash.
meanwhile, i find another strange appearance

when i use:

ifconfig wlan0 up
   iwconfig wlan0 essid xxxx key s:xxxxxxxxxxxxx
   dhcpcd wlan0

it tell me "dhcpcd time out"
and then dhcpcd wlan0 again ,it works.

while i use:

iwconfig wlan0 essid xxxx key s:xxxxxxxxxxxxx
   ifconfig wlan0 up
   dhcpcd wlan0
it works well.

i just put iwconfig before ifconfig, it works~ 囧!

now i have to remove network from DAEMONS at /etc/rc.conf and put the commands in the /etc/rc.local

anyone have ideas?why?

thanx very much and sorry for my english. english is not my mother language. :-)

#2 2010-02-06 20:10:57

Tomino

Re: a strange problem with my wireless card

I have similar, maybe same problem. I use wicd to connect to my wifi router and can't connect on first try. Always i must connect twice or more times to get ip address sad
also i have intel 5100

Last edited by Tomino (2010-02-06 20:12:12)

#3 2010-02-06 21:41:43

sdolim

This problem has been going around.  Some people suggest increasing the timeout.  In the file /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd, add the flags "-t 30" to DHCPCD_ARGS, as one possible way to do it. 

In my case I switched to using dhclient instead of dhcpcd before I knew about this, and that has worked for me so I have not switched back.  This was easy to do since I use netcfg. 

I did "pacman -S dhclient" to install dhclient, and then added DHCLIENT="yes" to my netcfg profile (/etc/network.d/wireless-wep).  I also increased my timeout: DHCP_TIMEOUT=30.  Some people have suggested adding SCAN=no as well.  (Again, these steps are for users of netcfg.)

#4 2010-02-06 21:48:18

sdolim

Notes on trying out netcfg:

- install netcfg: pacman -S netcfg
- set up a profile file in /etc/networks.d (copy a file from /etc/networks.d/examples and edit it)
- add the name of the profile file to NETWORKS=() in /etc/rc.conf
- add '@net-profiles' to DAEMONS=() in /etc/rc.conf (put it after 'network',  prefixed with '@' so you don't have to wait for the network just to log in)
- remove the name of your interface that you want netcfg to set up from INTERFACES=() in /etc/rc.conf (so it doesn't try to set it up twice)
- also turn off whatever other network configuration daemon, like wicd, you might have been using.

Last edited by sdolim (2010-02-06 21:52:25)

#5 2010-02-16 08:27:50

nopants

I'd like to chime in and say I have a similar problem with the lenovo y550

it seems I can get wlan0 up according to wicd, but after that an ip lease is downright painfully long and even then I can't ping anything outside LAN

Board footer