You are not logged in.
I followed the beginner's installation guide and everything worked fine all the way up untill updating the kernel module dependencies using the "depmod -a" command..
First I created the "xorg.conf" file with the "nvidia-xconfig" command and it said:
Make sure all instances of DRI are commented out:
# Load "dri"
However, there are no instances of "dri" in my xorg.conf file, so i skipped this step and moved on.
Next it said:
Double check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to make sure your default depth, horizontal sync, vertical refresh, and resolutions are acceptable.
But I don't know what they should be set to, so I skipped this and moved on again.
This is where everything fails:
The next step is to use the following command to update the kernel module dependencies for the nVidia drivers.
depmod -a
But when i do that, it fails.
Anyone know possibly why or has had this issue?
Last edited by trusktr (2010-02-19 07:22:32)
joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.
Offline
UPDATE: After a reboot and trying "depmod -a" again, it does something for a few seconds, then returns back to the prompt without and error message, so i think it worked!
Is there any way to check to see if it updated the kernel module dependencies?
joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.
Offline
It worked. depmod -a does not return any information to terminal. All it does is rebuild your kernel module dependencies for your current kernel. A word of warning however, pay attention to your updates when you run pacman -Syu or pacman -Su, if the kernel is updated your gonna need to run depmod -a again or else X will fail to run because it cant find the nvidia module. I usually get around this by adding kernel26 to the IgnorePkg line in pacman.conf. Kernel updates imo are the primary breakers of systems so i choose not to do them, dont see the point.
Registered User number: 496613. Show your Tux Pride!
http://counter.li.org
Offline
Cool, thatnks for that good info!
joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.
Offline
It worked. depmod -a does not return any information to terminal. All it does is rebuild your kernel module dependencies for your current kernel. A word of warning however, pay attention to your updates when you run pacman -Syu or pacman -Su, if the kernel is updated your gonna need to run depmod -a again or else X will fail to run because it cant find the nvidia module. I usually get around this by adding kernel26 to the IgnorePkg line in pacman.conf. Kernel updates imo are the primary breakers of systems so i choose not to do them, dont see the point.
Um, you don't need to run depmod -a after a kernel update, the nvidia package does it for you. Also, while I agree that kernel updates are probably the primary breakers of systems, if you make sure nvidia is upgraded at the same time there shouldn't be a problem (I've never had one in 2 years of using arch, although I have experienced kernel regressions in other areas).
"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page
Offline
speaking of kernel updates, do i have to do one after i've installed several drivers for various devices? Like compile them into the kernel or anything?
joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.
Offline
um, I don't think you can just 'do' a kernel update, you have to wait for a new one to come out first ![]()
and no, if you installed the drivers with pacman you shouldn't need to compile them into the kernel. you might need to run depmod -a for other drivers though, I don't know
"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page
Offline
Hmmmm, yeah, that is a good question: When to run depmod -a?
joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.
Offline
um, I don't think you can just 'do' a kernel update, you have to wait for a new one to come out first
You can run any kernel version you wish on Arch, if you compile yourself, of course. ![]()
Hmmmm, yeah, that is a good question: When to run depmod -a?
When you first install the proprietary drivers. That's it, unless you will be maintaining a custom kernel system or something. In fact, the proprietary drivers might even run the depmod script themselves, I don't know, since it is a black box binary. Makes sense, but someone else would need to answer that.
EDIT: Also wanted to add that many shell commands throw no output whatsoever upon successful completion. Therefore, the absence of error output can be interpreted as no error. Just FYI. ![]()
Last edited by Misfit138 (2010-02-21 02:58:04)
Offline
hehe cool. Thanks ![]()
joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.
Offline