You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-10 01:52:40

falconindy
Developer
Website

[Solved] Parallel kernels with 2.6.32

I like to keep a vanilla kernel installed along with my custom kernel just in case something ever goes wrong. With the way the PKGBUILD for 2.6.32 was restructured, does this mean I need to build separate (and differently named) headers for each kernel?

I ask because I did not rename my headers package when I built my custom kernel and it seems to be preventing me from building vbox or nvidia kernel modules for more than one kernel at a time. That is, both my header packages have the same name. I install the custom headers, and I can build modules for custom, but get errors for vanilla. I install vanilla headers out of the testing repo, and the reverse is true.

Semi-related: can I somehow rename the custom package I've built after the fact? Or would it be too much to cover and I'm better off just rebuilding?

Last edited by falconindy (2009-12-10 03:55:08)

#2 2009-12-10 02:10:06

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] Parallel kernels with 2.6.32

Rebuilding would be needed to change stuff, unless you want to manually modify .pkgfile or something. Bad idea smile.

If you look at the AUR, there's various kernels which work OOTB without needing kernel26-headers. They're still using the 'old' format of the previous kernel26 package, without splitting to headers. I think for custom kernels that makes the most sense, honestly. I use kernel26-ice and kernel26-rt-ice myself, both don't need kernel26-headers

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2009-12-10 02:38:52

falconindy
Developer
Website

ngoonee wrote:

Rebuilding would be needed to change stuff, unless you want to manually modify .pkgfile or something. Bad idea smile.

If you look at the AUR, there's various kernels which work OOTB without needing kernel26-headers. They're still using the 'old' format of the previous kernel26 package, without splitting to headers. I think for custom kernels that makes the most sense, honestly. I use kernel26-ice and kernel26-rt-ice myself, both don't need kernel26-headers

This is an idea I had not thought of. I assumed headers were split off as a necessity. Thanks, I'll look at these packages.

As a side note, recompiling separately named headers did not work and still managed to overwrite each other.

Update: Unless there's something invisible and horrible about using it, the old 2.6.31 PKGBUILD yields a package for .32 as well. Good show.

Last edited by falconindy (2009-12-10 03:54:58)

#4 2009-12-10 05:36:52

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

falconindy wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

This is an idea I had not thought of. I assumed headers were split off as a necessity. Thanks, I'll look at these packages.

As a side note, recompiling separately named headers did not work and still managed to overwrite each other.

Update: Unless there's something invisible and horrible about using it, the old 2.6.31 PKGBUILD yields a package for .32 as well. Good show.

If you want to make another kernel26-headers package, you'd need to make sure all relevant files are moved to the correct location (/lib/modules/2.6.32-parallel for example). I'm sure you should be able to figure out how to do that by modifying the kernel26-headers PKGBUILD, for myself I haven't found the need to do so yet.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-12-10 06:40:39

falconindy
Developer
Website

Well this is the weird part. I should have posted my directory contents for /lib/modules and /usr/src before I fixed this because they were just plain nutty. I would install the custom kernel headers, and it would actually remove things from the vanilla kernel. Similarly, when I reinstalled the vanilla kernel, directories were removed from the custom kernel /usr/src.

I'm okay with the solution of using a different package build for the custom kernel. With the testing packages installed alongside the custom, I'm able to build modules against both kernels. I haven't verified that the vanilla kernel boots, but everything seems kosher.

Random aside: I learned something today. Don't build a kernel without SysV IPC messaging. Fakeroot (among other things I'm sure) gets really angry.

#6 2010-02-18 23:29:27

iceman81
Website

ngoonee wrote:

They're still using the 'old' format of the previous kernel26 package, without splitting to headers.

There's a specific reason for that. kernel26-ice is meant to be for developers, and developers DO need kernel headers as well.

ngoonee wrote:

I think for custom kernels that makes the most sense, honestly.

Agreed

Board footer