You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-08 08:42:19

archluser

How To books for Linux

Can anyone advise on a few books for the How To's on service and attention for Linux please?

I'm thinking more of handling of the under the hood stuff rather than how to open applications in the desktop.

many thanks

#2 2010-01-08 09:50:12

chpln

Re: How To books for Linux

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has come across some nice system administration guides.  While I own a few dead-tree books for system administration (mainly RedHat), they're nothing particularly special and are quite dated.

After looking around, http://tldp.org/guides.html may be a good place to start.  I've had a brief look through the system administration guides; Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide seems to cover among the best of them.  You might want take note of Advanced Bash-Scripting while you're there.  I find myself referring back to that more than anything else.

Regardless, I wouldn't worry too much if you're unable to find something comprehensive and up-to-date.  Once you have a decent understanding of the workings, I think you'll find apropos, man-pages and info-manuals much more useful than a reference guide.

Last edited by chpln (2010-01-08 09:51:20)

#3 2010-01-08 11:02:49

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

You probably want to read this too: http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2010-02-20 10:33:06

archluser

Having looked about, I've bought this on -

Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide, Fifth Edition  by Wale Soyinka.

It has good reviews on Amazon.

Board footer