You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-20 01:38:54

Sarai

LXDE or XFCE (or something else?!)

Hello everyone-
I am going to be installing Arch on my laptop this weekend and I have to say, though I am completely enamored with the sheer amount of choice it offers, there is one decision I have been sort of hung up on, and that's a DE/WM. I used gnome for a long time back when I was on Ubuntu but I got really frustrated with the way that it forced me to install a bunch of software that I never used (i.e. evolution) but went utterly insane if I tried to uninstall said pointless software. So I switched to Crunchbang/Openbox and I love it EXCEPT (this is a lame except, I know) I really miss rounded corners for windows and such.

So I am considering xfce and emerald for my next project, it seems like emerald is looking much nicer than the last time I used it a year or so ago when it was pretty buggy. But I am not sure if an xfce/compiz mix is really lightweight enough for me- I like my computer very zippy and also very configurable! Plus, xfce does come with a suite of software like gnome. In addition, I have not really been able to determine in my research what the right-click root menu in xfce is like... is as wonderful and customizable as openbox's?

My other major option is of course LXDE and Openbox. As I said, I have become very reliant on a proper right-click menu. I also am pretty dependent on keybindings- how is xfce's support of those?

I'm also open to considering other desktop environments that people might suggest, I think I read that fluxbox supports rounded corners but I am not sure what theme config looks like on fluxbox- I love how easy it is to edit themes in openbox! I am a competent linux user and I don't mind manual (gui-free) config. I don't use a system tray or clock and I am planning to use tint2 as my panel. I really love the minimalistic look (this is my desk right now: http://sarai-the-geek.deviantart.com/ar … 154648050)

Man, that turned out to be a long post and now I am late for dinner, but hopefully someone can provide some advice for me.

#2 2010-02-20 02:05:45

ArchSoarer

Re: LXDE or XFCE (or something else?!)

Runing Arch Linux you can have GNOME without all that apps you don't like, for example I'm not using evolution, epiphany nor gedit...

Looking at your actual desktop I would say you may try LXDE as an experiment, it may be grateful for your taste. Also, I'm a XFCE "defender" so I think you should give it a try too, the right click menu is very customizable and the DE is very polish now, distros like Dreamlinux have taken advantage of this and have produced a awesome eyecandy distro still light but not so light as fluxbox or openbox can be.

LXDE, I think, is your best choice.

#3 2010-02-20 04:00:14

Sarai

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, Openbox is what I am using right now- #! Linux uses it and a few parts of the LXDE desktop. I am sort of leaning towards xfce right now since you say the right-click menu works quite well.

#4 2010-02-20 05:35:15

vrkalak
Website

I am an Xfce junkie . . . so you know what my 1st choice would be.  tongue

But, I have a basic Ubuntu-derivative of an OS with LXDE on it.  It's not back.  Fast and all, but . . . it's not as fast or as customizable as Xfce.  IMHO
I have used Openbox in Crunchbang and a version of PuppyLinux before and I liked it.  But, I'm not as familiar with the "ins-and-outs" of Openbox, as I am with Xfce.

And depending on which Distro you used Xfce on before ... in Arch with NO Gnome dependencies ... Xfce is 'stupid' fast.

But, it's not so hard to try one and then the other.  Decide which works best for you.  That's what Linux and Open Source is all about . . . Freedom.  Choice.

On the other hand -- I am seriously, looking at BlackBox as another WM/DE choice, to try with Arch.

Last edited by vrkalak (2010-02-20 05:41:01)

Fluxbox Junkie!! | <Debian> <ArchLinux> | my DeviantART

#5 2010-02-20 05:52:15

ozar

LXDE or XFCE (or something else?

You really should try each of them so that you'll know for sure which you like better.

That said, I prefer XFCE, although it has been a while since I last tried LXDE.

oz

#6 2010-02-20 17:49:36

Sarai

Thanks for your input everyone! I think because I already know Openbox I am going to try xfce first and then if I don't like it... well goodness, I can just as easily go back to Openbox/LXDE.

#7 2010-02-20 19:20:21

burnside

XFCE is everything I wish Gnome was. Light, pretty, and functional.

Board footer