You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-13 11:22:30

Hiram
Website

Hard drive problem.

First of all, I'm not sure if this is hardware related or simply os related, so if I have it in the wrong place, someone please move it.

I've been ripping a lot of my dvds onto one of my hard drives lately, but three times in the past two weeks I've come home to a completely frozen computer (Ctrl + Alt + Backspace does nothing) of which I have to restart using the power button. Each time I've started my computer up after this, my root and home partitions (on the same physical disk) have been filled with errors and I've had to run fsck against them using a live distro to run like normal again. This first happened about 10 days ago, once more a week ago, and again last night. The disk I'm putting the movies on is a different physical disk, so I think the dvd ripping may be coincidence, but I'm unsure.

I always assume a hard drive is dying for one reason or another, so I ran a heap of SMART tests against the drive which returned perfect results as well as some benchmarks with hdparm, which returned the same results it did months ago, which seems to indicate the drive can cheat tests or is in physically good health. I'm still not convinced though, as the partitions shouldn't mess up this often I'd think (or hope!).

So what I'm asking is, does anyone have any idea what I can do, short of reinstalling Arch on another hard drive? The only other hard drive I have available for an OS is an old/slow IDE hard drive, and I don't want to install my os on it.

For what it's worth, the hard drive I'm having trouble with is a Seagate, model ST380815AS, and the two partitions causing the trouble are in ext3 format.

Edit: I've just remembered something else that's happened every time it's frozen. When I get it back up and running, the system date is always the 17th of January, 2010. Not sure how it's touching the system date either.

Last edited by Hiram (2010-02-14 21:11:08)

#2 2010-02-21 10:51:20

Hiram
Website

Re: Hard drive problem.

Followup: The hard drive permanently died, it turns out it was cheating the SMART tests.

Board footer