You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-13 18:08:52

algorythm

Have to press keys upon boot

I have to press keys upon booting on some steps so that the booting process would go further (the same with shutdown). If I don't press some keys, the process will just stay there.

It doesn't help to switch between kdb/mouse and evdev drivers. I don't understand this thing.

Last edited by algorythm (2010-02-13 18:13:41)

“Talent you can bloom. Instinct you can polish.”  — Haikyuu!! (adapted)
“If everybody thought alike, no one would be thinking very much.”  — Walter Lippmann (adapted)
“The important thing is to be able, at any moment, to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.”  — Charles Dubois

#2 2010-02-14 05:45:21

JackH79
Website

Re: Have to press keys upon boot

algorythm wrote:

I don't understand this thing.

We won't understand it either if you are not a bit more specific in describing your problem.

#3 2010-02-14 09:05:53

madeye
Website

I had a similar problem. Adding

nolapic_timer

to the kernel line in grub helped.

EDIT:
For those interrested here is a page containing a list of the kernel parameters
http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/sipb/contrib/l … meters.txt

Last edited by madeye (2010-02-21 14:22:57)

MadEye | Registered Linux user #167944 since 2000-02-28 | Homepage

#4 2010-02-21 13:35:28

algorythm

JackH79 wrote:

We won't understand either...

Ok, I'll try to explain a bit better wink. When booting Arch we of course get the nice log of what's going on (as defined in rc.sysinit) but in some steps the proces just... stops. And no matter how crazy it sounds, when I press some keys like 2 or 3 times, the booting process... continues! The same thing happens upon shutdown. We waited like (my dad's PC) 20 seconds and nothing happened until we hit some keys a few times. It was friggin' embarassing and hilarious at the same time when the task was to change from unstable Ubuntu to stable Arch.

madeye wrote:
nolapic_timer

Cool, will check this out as soon as possible. It will be the next saturday if my dad is willing to try the move of Ubuntu -> Arch again smile.

Last edited by algorythm (2010-02-21 13:36:08)

“Talent you can bloom. Instinct you can polish.”  — Haikyuu!! (adapted)
“If everybody thought alike, no one would be thinking very much.”  — Walter Lippmann (adapted)
“The important thing is to be able, at any moment, to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.”  — Charles Dubois

Board footer