You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-04 14:50:16

alexthelion

Maybe the time for branding has come?

Just saw the result of the splash screen contest for Gnomes next version. It's just horrible. Maybe Arch should start replacing the original ones by its own. Especially because this one is so ugly.

http://www.gimp.org/contest/

There were a few quite professional looking ones in the contest:

http://www.gimp.org/contest/gallery.cgi

Maybe Arch Linux could use one of those and perhaps even brand it with its logo?

What do you guys think?

#2 2005-03-04 22:46:08

skoal
Website

Re: Maybe the time for branding has come?

branding? I got "J" on one cheek, and "V" on the other.  When I sit down, it squashes into the "Archlogo" you see on the main page...

#3 2005-03-04 22:48:58

sarah31
Website

skoal wrote:

branding? I got "J" on one cheek, and "V" on the other.  When I sit down, it squashes into the "Archlogo" you see on the main page...

I thought only convicts could have their faces tatooed tongue

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2005-03-04 22:52:31

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I branded myself once, accidentally, when I was really drunk.
I was trying to put wood in the stove, and my arm touched the inside of the top of the stove doorway when I put a fattie log in there.
I looked down at my seared arm and said to myself, "hmm..that will hurt tomorrow"
Then I went to bed and passed out...

*looks at arm*
Yup. That line is still there, though a bit faded from time.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-03-04 22:55:32

skoal
Website

sarah31 wrote:

I thought only convicts could have their faces tatooed tongue

Touche...

That's the best "burn" I've gotten in a long time...

and yes, I've been in jail before.  I froze my ass off cuddling up in the fetal position in a corner wall.  They wouldn't even let me have my shirt back while I was waiting for bail.  As I waited, I could hear several "detainees" doing things off in the distance, which I should not share here...

Every person needs to spend at least 1 nite in jail sometime in their life.  If you don't, you're missing out on good stories to tell your grandchildren...

#6 2005-03-04 23:17:37

alexthelion

Come on guys. I'm not even sure I used a wrong word, not sure I used the right one either. But I'm quite sure you guys know what I mean, right?

#7 2005-03-04 23:21:04

skoal
Website

alexthelion wrote:

Come on guys. I'm not even sure I used a wrong word, not sure I used the right one either. But I'm quite sure you guys know what I mean, right?

Yeah, I hear ya.  I think XFCE-4 already has a startup theme when it loads.  I changed it to "none" though...no offense to whoever developed it.  I'm hardcore though and prefer the tattoos...

#8 2005-03-04 23:23:58

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

indeed.
I don't know where the line should fall though. Arch tends to track what the devs put out..and not much added onto it. Part of the distro charm..
but, I could care less if someone wanted to expend the effort to add a different default theme or something.. I tend to customize things the way I like it regardless of how it comes shipped to me..but that is just me.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#9 2005-03-04 23:24:44

alexthelion

Man, stop filling this page w/ rubbish and start some productive discussion :-)

#10 2005-03-04 23:34:43

skoal
Website

alexthelion wrote:

Man, stop filling this page w/ rubbish and start some productive discussion :-)

I hear ya brother.  Where exactly do you want this "brand" to show?  XFCE-4 already has it.  I don't know about a Gnome or KDE Arch splash though...

In fact, since I think so little of Gnome and KDE in preference of XFCE, maybe I should borrow some lipstick, draw a pair of red juicy lips next to my tattoos, take a picture, and submit it to the KDE/Gnome guys to use it as a splash screen...

oops...you're right alex.  I'll take my "trash" elsewhere.  Sorry about that. I just needed to get that last cheap shot in...

#11 2005-03-05 15:48:57

freakyc

That contest winner looks fine to me.

I think no matter what was picked, someone would think it's "horrible" and/or "ugly".

#12 2005-03-05 16:40:18

alexthelion

It seems like I am the only one here who suffers from that one ugly splash it seems. Not the only one in the Gnome community though. I guess I will just replace it on my system then...

Still, let me suggest an alternative, that matches Gnome's cool look and understatement:

http://www.gimp.org/contest/gallery.cgi … 1358411016

I agree it's virtually impossible to include an Arch Linux logo in that splash without destroying it visually. But that would be the case with many of them.

Board footer