You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-23 12:53:22

hadian
Website

X fails.....

i installed the arch base susyem, xorg, hal ,alsa and kdemode as it is described in chakra project website. then i configured inittab to use runlevel 5 and kdm. when the system boots, the kdm appears and after inserting username and password (normal user) some snapshot of desktop appears and after some blinking i get a black screen with mouse pointer. there is no way and i should restart the system using restart key!!!! the graphic card is ATI, so i installed the ati driver but nothing changed.  how should i configure the X system?
Regards

#2 2010-02-23 13:23:53

Ultraman

Re: X fails.....

Instead of going full throttle with X, HAL, KDE and KDM untested (or did you test them in steps?), try testing the components separately.
When installing, first install the base system and update it. Make sure that's ok. Alsa is optional to try now as well or wait until you have X running, that does not matter.
Install Xorg and HAL and make sure you get that running, before installing KDE or any DE/WM whatsoever. That way you will know where the error occurred.

#3 2010-02-23 13:28:46

hadian
Website

the steps i followed:
1- installing the base system. reboot and updating the system.
2- install hal and alsa and test alsa.
3- install xorg and kdemod. first test xorg by startx command. a screen with 3 window appeared and i could type the commands in one of them.
4- configured inittab file to use runlevel 5 and kdm.
is there any other test that i should do?

#4 2010-02-23 14:20:40

Ultraman

Try it without kdm now.
Can probably be done by altering your .xinirc and putting something like "exec startkde" in there. Check the wiki for that one also smile
When typing startx, X would load itself and KDE. Without going through kdm first.
If that works, your problem is probably with kdm.

Also, shouldn't KDM be started from the DAEMONS line in rc.conf instead of starting with init level? Or has that changed? It's been years since I used it.

Last edited by Ultraman (2010-02-23 14:23:02)

#5 2010-02-23 14:44:34

pickboy87
Website

Ultraman,

I don't know if this helps much, but I use it from the daemons. I never tampered with the init file, so I'm guessing that's the problem.

#6 2010-02-23 15:00:19

hadian
Website

i do not think the problem is with kdm since after entering the username and password some parts of desktop is appeared for a short time and then after some blinking i get a black desktop with mouse pointer. i noticed that when i press Alt+F2 the window of command is appeared and i can enter a command. or enter the process monitor window by clicking the key.

Board footer