You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-23 02:07:27

mikecore

Protecting your configuration files ( grub menu.lst or /etc/fstab )

Understanding that you can "protect" config files from being over written or updated by updating your system. I have a few questions. one I'll assume that for instance /boot/grub/menu.lst is updated every time a kernel update is done or am I wrong and you have to manually edit this file to reflect new kernels? Which would lead to my next point/question unless I was running some crazy dual/triple boot system my menu.lst file should be updated with a system update so no need to protect it. I ran a Gentoo box for a while so I understand protecting config files, What are some common files that get protected ? maybe

#2 2010-02-23 02:22:29

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Protecting your configuration files ( grub menu.lst or /etc/fstab )

Welcome to the forums.

Arch doesn't overwrite the menu.lst file between upgrades. In fact, Arch doesn't overwrite configuration files as a rule. If you watch pacman's output, you'll notice it saying that it's going to save files with the .pacnew suffix. It's then up to you to compare and merge these files with your configs.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pac … save_Files

#3 2010-02-23 02:47:36

mikecore

Ok, I see its just like the old Gentoo days good to know thank you for the reply

#4 2010-02-23 03:38:13

joaca_rj

If you see, the kernel is always vmlinuz26, the most up-to-date. If you keep different kernels, than each one will have a different name...

#5 2010-02-23 20:45:20

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

if you want to protect something manually there's a NoUpgrade option in /etc/pacman.conf. but most packages have built-in support for their config files

Last edited by PirateJonno (2010-02-23 20:45:39)

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#6 2010-02-23 20:54:03

brisbin33
Website

every package has a backup array in its PKGBUILD which lists out the files that pacman will not overwrite (he will instead do the .pacnew thing).  these arrays are very sane and comprehensive but they don't cover every file on your system.

you can verify exactly which files are not to be overwritten by looking at the package's PKGBUILD via ABS (check the wiki for details).  any additional files you'd like to protect should be placed in NoUpgrade as mentioned by PirateJonno.

Board footer