You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-24 20:30:19

C7vxz8

AurNinja

When I started using Arch Linux, I didn't know anything about the ABS or, really, the AUR. I just knew that the AUR was this thing that I could download moar programs from.

Soon, I wanted to maintain packages in the AUR, and I asked here for help, because I could not find any info in the wiki, (and its still kinda hard if you dont know what your looking for). But i -still- didn't actually KNOW what I was expected to do, or how to do it. Even though I had been using yaourt for a while, I knew nothing about the AUR. I didn't know that there was a web interface, I didn't know you could download PKGBUILD's from it, or even what to do once you did download a PKGBUILD. This is all really obvious to me now, but then, i knew nothing.

What I do not like about yaourt, or any of the CLI AUR interfaces, is that they are really not very interactive. The user does not (to my knowledge) have any control over where the program builds the .pkg file, or if they want to run makepkg -s with other options, etc.

Enter AurNinja.

AurNinja is a python script that I am working on that aims to solve these issues. It has two "modes" compile from source, or from AUR. Choosing AUR will allow you to search the AUR database for the PKGBUILD that you are looking for. AurNinja is built upon the idea that if you are going to install python bindings for AbiWord (pyabiword) you are going to search for "pyabiword" and not for "python" and search through pages and pages to find what you are looking for. AurNinja puts the control entirley in the hands of the end user. Asking questions such as "run makepkg -s?" ... "with any additional options?"   or even more so, "using '/tmp/{PKGNAME}' for build directory, is this ok?"

Choosing the source option will ask you a series of questions, and generate a PKGBUILD for you, should you wish, it will also compile, and install the package you are working with. It will even download the source code for you!

If you think this is interesting, or would like to try it out, I have provided links below. I greatly appreciate any feedback!
As stated before, I have -no- programming history, so I might not be able to fulfill all feature requests, but I will try!

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34978 AUR PKGBUILD
http://72.195.142.200:8080/ Project Home Page.

Last edited by C7vxz8 (2010-02-24 20:30:38)

Board footer