You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-23 09:44:18

NevroMance

Suspend with Aspire One A110L

Hi. I have an Aspire One A110L where I've installed Arch. The problem is with suspend. I want it to suspend on lid, and I'm using acpid, and it is running. My /etc/acpid/events/lid looks like

event=button/lid.*
action=/usr/sbin/pm-suspend

But it won't sleep, and won't even shut down. It just freezes. The same happens when I'm trying to run pm-suspend as root.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Would be really appreciated, since it sucks to have to shut it all down when moving from one place to another.

EDIT: I'm using the kernel26-one-dev from aur.

Last edited by NevroMance (2010-02-23 09:45:40)

#2 2010-02-23 10:07:54

panosk

Re: Suspend with Aspire One A110L

I was struggling with this for months with my wife's aspire one.  The dev kernel finally allowed me to suspend, but the /home partition (with xfs filesystem) on the expansion sd card kept getting corrupted too often. xfs_repair -L did the trick but, as expected, eventually /home just disappeared. Then I tried Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10, but it won't suspend at all, just keeps freezing. My conclusion is that the problem is caused by the expansion sd card. I suppose you have an expansion card too?

#3 2010-02-23 10:24:49

NevroMance

Yes, I have an expansion card. With ext2 filesystem. Using ext3 on my / partition. Used the kernel26-one before changing the kernel to the dev kernel, since kernel26-one went out of date, and it worked witout a problem with kernel26-one.

#4 2010-02-25 01:31:26

foutrelis
Developer
Website

I just came across this issue on my A110L as well. It's seem to be happening with other brands too, accroding to this bug report. See comment #43 for a script that umounts all MMC devices and allows the computer to suspend successfully.

#5 2010-02-25 13:09:08

panosk

foutrelis wrote:

I just came across this issue on my A110L as well. It's seem to be happening with other brands too, accroding to this bug report. See comment #43 for a script that umounts all MMC devices and allows the computer to suspend successfully.

Thanks for the link, but the script doesn't work for me. The reason is that the script cancels the suspend action when there are programs accessing the sd card which is always the case since the sd card contains the /home partition.

#6 2010-02-25 13:56:38

foutrelis
Developer
Website

The Gentoo Wiki has a section on SD cards and suspend which I found insightful. Also, in the Hardware status section there is a note about "Suspend to RAM/Disk" saying that it "Requires UNSAFE_RESUME in MMC driver kernel settings if using left-side slot for permanent storage".

@panosk: I'm pretty happy with the unmount script, but I see how it won't work for you; you might want to give UNSAFE_RESUME (mentioned above) a try. I have no idea how safe it is to do so though. tongue

#7 2010-02-25 15:01:15

panosk

foutrelis wrote:

The Gentoo Wiki has a section on SD cards and suspend which I found insightful. Also, in the Hardware status section there is a note about "Suspend to RAM/Disk" saying that it "Requires UNSAFE_RESUME in MMC driver kernel settings if using left-side slot for permanent storage".

@panosk: I'm pretty happy with the unmount script, but I see how it won't work for you; you might want to give UNSAFE_RESUME (mentioned above) a try. I have no idea how safe it is to do so though. tongue

How can I enable this option? Does this mean I have to recompile the kernel or can I pass it as an option, for example in the kernel boot line?

Thanks.

#8 2010-02-25 15:08:08

foutrelis
Developer
Website

I'm afraid you have to rebuild your kernel, yes; or alternately switch to the kernel26-one package from the AUR which already has this option (CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME) enabled in its configuration.

Edit: Wait, turns out there is a runtime configuration option which was merged recently and is included in 2.6.33 (released yesterday)! big_smile

Edit 2: Yup, it works. I grabbed the kernel26-rc package from the AUR (actually, a binary version from here) and added a new grub entry with "mmc_core.removable=0" appended to the kernel line (specifying the option in a file inside /etc/modprobe.d didn't seem to work, most likely because I load the mmc_core module in the initramfs). Now it suspends and resumes fine with the SD card mounted. Of course, if you resume with the card removed from the slot, you'll get a nice hang, but I believe this is the expected behavior. tongue

Last edited by foutrelis (2010-02-25 16:19:34)

Board footer