You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-25 08:37:36

Nullw0rm

How can I install any software if they break libpng/jpeg?

So much software I install either through AUR or pacman requires libpng or whatnot to be a specific version, but when I upgrade them, it never fails to crash everything. Libpng and jpeg fail to run claiming x.12.so is not found and I need to run a rollback to install the original version of libpng/jpeg I have.

I have libjpeg 7-1 and libpng 1.2.40-1, an example of the thing I'm installing requires QT, which requires: libpng-1.4.0-2  libjpeg-8-2 which breaks all my other applications, gimp, my photo viewer and even X if I restart! mad

What on earth is wrong? Is there something I'm missing, or can I 'force' the AUR install (with pkgbuild) to not download libpng or whatnot? or trick it into using my current one? It just makes no sense, that so many applications would make me fail like that.
sad

#2 2010-02-25 08:45:32

loafer

Re: How can I install any software if they break libpng/jpeg?

1). Ensure everything is up-to-date "pacman -Syu".
2). Rebuild your AUR packages as required.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2010-02-25 09:05:46

Nullw0rm

loafer wrote:

I bet you my life's savings that many of the software on here would break if I did that, I've done it before and managed to need to have to reinstall Arch 2-3 times because of stupid things breaking. I can't do it..

Why does it break if i'm going to a newer version, do any of the programs actually run on 'libjpeg' and NOT 'libjpeg x.x.x' ..?  I don't get why they do that.

Even if I do update, GIMP for example is already up to date, yet it breaks if I install libjpeg, how would it fix that?

I've tried.. what's it called, symbolic linking or something but I couldn't get it right, how would I be able to use a method like this or other to let the package work?

#4 2010-02-25 09:58:28

sand_man

Nullw0rm wrote:
loafer wrote:

I bet you my life's savings that many of the software on here would break if I did that, I've done it before and managed to need to have to reinstall Arch 2-3 times because of stupid things breaking. I can't do it..

Wow, I'm willing to take you up on that bet.

neutral

#5 2010-02-25 10:18:58

test1000

The stuff in the repos should all be updated to work with the latest libjpeg, atleast if youre running current and not testing...

AUR, however is a different story. If upon upgrading your system and pacman pulls in the latest libpng and libjpeg - which doesn't up their version often mind you - all the AUR packages you have installed that depends on these libraries will stop functioning because the library that they are linked up to can't be found anymore. Youll get a shared library "can't be found" error.

HOWEVER, in most cases all you have to do is to makepkg the packages downloaded from AUR and youre set to go...

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#6 2010-02-25 10:45:24

tomk
Forum Fellow

Nullw0rm wrote:
loafer wrote:

Updating your system is the solution - there is no alternative. It is standard practice for Arch users to run pacman -Syu regularly. If you have reasons for not doing so, you should consider using a different distro, with a more traditional release cycle.

#7 2010-02-25 10:55:44

eldragon

Nullw0rm wrote:

Why does it break if i'm going to a newer version, do any of the programs actually run on 'libjpeg' and NOT 'libjpeg x.x.x' ..?  I don't get why they do that.

when there is a change in how the new libraries work, these changes need to be reflected in the software that uses these libraries.

having such a bleeding edge ditribution, these changes are not reflected instantly, so there is a small period of time where stuff needs to be patched to work against them.

#8 2010-02-25 11:26:13

wonder
Developer
Website

Nullw0rm wrote:
loafer wrote:

i bet you that all packages from our repo doesn't break and if something break is your fault.
you seem to ignore the second bullet. This is important now because if you use, for example, other cairo package, like cairo-lcd, you have to rebuild that after updating. if you don't do that, your system is broke.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#9 2010-02-25 15:38:58

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

All the packages in the official repos have been rebuilt and are compatible with the newest libpng. If something breaks, that means you didn't do something right.

Round up your AUR packages, upgrade through pacman, rebuild your AUR packages. Reboot. Enjoy. GTK 2 might need a second reinstallation if you have any custom packages (cairo) that it depends on - i.e. you reinstall it a second time after you updated your AUR package.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#10 2010-02-26 01:45:28

efeX

Running pacman -Syu breaks everything? Somethings obviously wrong.

#11 2010-02-26 01:50:43

Peasantoid
Website

Rebuilds should have been pulled by your mirror at this point. If not, get a different mirror.

Board footer